What's new

Are we going to have 2 notations for Injustice?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Personally speaking, I feel that while numbers work for MK9 because the literal notation is more effort and it shares history with Tekken's similarly limb-based button layout, it will certianly serve to confuse non-MK/Tekken players. Just as 1234 was chosen due to similarities to tekken in that regard, LMH is a common notation to other games that have moves segregated by strength. In addition, its meaning is more apparent to people who have no experience with -any- notation.
1234 was actually a carry over from 3D MKs. They used to be listed as "Attack 1" and so on in-game. Either way, I doubt it'll matter much. Early in MK9 people used FP, BP, FK, BK as well and it ended up just being easier to read with 1234.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I don't follow please elaborate.

The only benefit as of now is that you can do motions that require certain inputs from crouch position, that's the only benefit. Everything else is the same regarding directional inputs, depending on your preference.
What I mean is, we may find down the line somewhere that characters with harder execution such as Kabals NDC type inputs, may be significantly easier with an MK style over a SF style, or vice versa. We don't as this stage know how things will evolve and how execution heavy, certain aspects of the game will be.

On the other hand, the game may be so simple from an execution perspective that it makes no difference either way.

If anyone will bother enough to seek out how to play this game on tym, they'll bother too look up any notations they don't understand.

What I mean is, we may find down the line somewhere that characters with harder execution such as Kabals NDC type inputs, may be significantly easier with an MK style over a SF style, or vice versa. We don't as this stage how things will evolve and how execution heavy, certain aspects of the game will be.

On the other hand, the game may be so simple from an execution perspective that it makes no difference either way.
Just preference, Cat plays Kabal on Stick so does Perfect Legend.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
At a glance I can't tell what the heck 1234 means. I have to look up whether its lp,lk, hp, hk in that order or if its lp,hp, lk,hk instead.

Its why I think folks wont exactly be attracted to MK numbering notation for Injustice if you are trying to draw folks in to discussions. L is an obvious abbreviation for Light so why not keep it so simple that even a GUESS could get it. Remember folks not everyone played MK nor did they get into its notations. As a guy with very little MK time I'll flat say looking at your discussions were confusing as hell for me and I had to look up and check things for a good while. Heck since I stopped playing it I still do if I want to remember anything.

Its the same with KoF XIII's ABCD notation. You cant tell at a glance whether its lp,lk, hp, hk in that order or if its lp,hp, lk,hk instead. Right now for those who don't play KoFXIII look at ABCD and tell me if you can safely tell without google help what that means? You cant really.

Thats why I strongly feel we should go with abbreviations for the attacks like L, M, H, S. The only one of those that may need changed is S because its not called special its called Gimmick and that would mean L, M, H, G.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
At a glance I can't tell what the heck 1234 means. I have to look up whether its lp,lk, hp, hk in that order or if its lp,hp, lk,hk instead.

Its why I think folks wont exactly be attracted to MK numbering notation for Injustice if you are trying to draw folks in to discussions. L is an obvious abbreviation for Light so why not keep it so simple that even a GUESS could get it. Remember folks not everyone played MK nor did they get into its notations. As a guy with very little MK time I'll flat say looking at your discussions were confusing as hell for me and I had to look up and check things for a good while. Heck since I stopped playing it I still do if I want to remember anything.

Its the same with KoF XIII's ABCD notation. You cant tell at a glance whether its lp,lk, hp, hk in that order or if its lp,hp, lk,hk instead. Right now for those who don't play KoFXIII look at ABCD and tell me if you can safely tell without google help what that means? You cant really.

Thats why I strongly feel we should go with abbreviations for the attacks like L, M, H, S. The only one of those that may need changed is S because its not called special its called Gimmick and that would mean L, M, H, G.

It should be easy to tell that 123 equals LMH, much easier then it is with MK or KOF. 123/ABC/LMH are very easily interchangeable.

The positive with 123 though is that it is easier to say in casual conversation or for commentating. With how strings work in this game, and in 3D games, you have to remember the notations for all of them, and quickly remember what each one does.

Saying Back Medium Light Medium string out loud takes a bit, and saying Back M L M sounds really awkward if you say it too fast, well Back 2 1 2 is easy to say and fast, and everyone will instantly know what you're talking about.

Also according to paulos twitter the official name for gimmick is character power, so it would be LMHP, but because of how much those things can vary, I think we should just called the powers by what ever name they actually are, so its less confusing.

This is exactly my case and point, and why I brought this up. Even if it does seem like a "simple" concept it's kind of not.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
LMHT makes the most sense to me. As for directions who cares? Use MK style because thats the default. Anyone intentionally switching to SF style is intelligent enough to realize df=qcf and that they can use the movelist in-game for whatever they might need...
Thanks for literally posting the same thing I was going to post. Glad I read the replies first.

2nd this, we need to be using the default notation and this should be a no-brainer

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Based on one of the PAX East gameplay vids, where Nerd Josh and Arturo are showing off practice mode, the Controller Preset screen spells it out this way.

Light
Medium
Hard
Power
Interact
Throw
Flip Stance
Meter Burn

Whatever format is chosen, people will learn it and adapt to it. When it's chosen, maybe someone can sticky an input guide/tutorial to help ease the transition for people having difficulties. problem solved.

I really don't see any point of what you guys are saying.

The layout pretty much stays the same. Just translate the numbers to the buttons.

1 = L (Light)
2 = M (Medium)
3 = H (Heavy)
4 = P (Power)
5 = I (Interact) (xBox: RB, Ps3: R1)

Done.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Man, I must of been sick the week this thread was made. A few points:

1.) When I came to this site, I didn't know f-all about the combo notations. Granted, it took 2-3 glances at the button to number picture that was put on a controller before I got it. (That is, it took a very short amount of time) It might take longer for others, I'd just like to say it's easier for me to read than stuff like cr.lp,cr.lp.cr.mp, qcb hp.

2.) We've been using mk notations, those would be the most easily recognized for those of us who have been here since mk9 and before.

3.) Karried a lot of newcomers to this site aren't as knowledgeable(yet) on fighting games in general when it comes to combo notations/directional inputs. Whatever system we build off of on Injustice, be it new or a familiar notation system, will be the one that people will just have to learn how to use. (see point 1) My guess is that 'mk style' inputs would be the more lenient format in game(just based on mk9), but the game may surprise me yet. In general though, the I'd think the more lenient control scheme would be the ones that are used in game and in notation. We'll see though.

*Disclaimer: I don't know much of the Tekken notation or the numerical similarities it has to MK. I'm biased though: When I see 1,2,3, and 4 I don't think 1 "oh thats the left hand punch" or 2 "thats the right hand/uppercut punch" etc. I just associate them with the buttons on the controller.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
This community won't change from whatever MK has been using for the past 12 years (it's a wonder it hasn't gone back into the 2D games >_>).

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Do you understand this --

CR.:lk:, CR.:lk:, CR.:lk:, CR.:lk:, ST.:lk
1x: 5AA, 5C, 236C, 236CD, 214214C/D
d::l:, :d::m:, :d::h:, :qcf::l:, dash, :df::h:, :d::m:, :h: (both hits), :qcf::m:, :h: teleport, late j.:h:, :d::h:, :s:, j.:m:, j.:m:, j.:h:, j.:s:, land, :df::h:

These are 3 different annotations from 3 different FGs, most are universal, but different.
wtf am lost at the top one lol matter of fact i dont understand a goshdarn word you typed, or notation lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
wtf am lost at the top one lol matter of fact i dont understand a goshdarn word you typed, or notation lol
Top is SF.

Mid is KOF.

Bottom is likely Marvel.

Most FGs just go by abbreviations of the button name. The only one that doesn't is MK9/Tekken. The only reason MK9 even does it is because the players have been using that notation since MKDA.

In all honesty, 123456 doesn't truly work because it would look like this on a 6-button layout:

5 and 6 are easily interchangeable, because they don't really have a specific order they can take. It just makes things semi-confusing in that sense.

It's really just better to use letters, but AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FO LEARNIN' DAT!