What's new

Are we going to have 2 notations for Injustice?

I was thinking about this a few days ago as well. I think that if we want to keep the number system for attacks we need to recategorize them so that low mid high and trait are 1 2 3 and 4 respectively.
As far as directions, we can probably assume the b, f, u, d directions so long as there is nothing like a f,d,df input. if those types of inputs arent in the game then things like df2 and d,df,f2 are the same and it simply saves time and effort to write it in mk notation.

Edit: Karried, of the notations you posted i only understand the middle one.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Most people are familiar with the number notation and it's easy to understand. The problem is it's based on having a default button layout, which I'm sure not everyone will use the same button layout like in MK. It may have to be just LP, MP, HP (light punch, medium punch, heavy punch) to avoid all confusion.
From how I understand it they are just attack buttons, not linked to Punch or Kick specifically... so I would be fine using L,M,H,T (Trait), MB (Meter Burn) or 1,2,3, 4/T (Trait), MB

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
For the buttons themselves, I think LMHT is a pretty sensible notation.

I don't know what to say about directional inputs, though. Personally, I don't think it'll be too much trouble to mentally translate an MK-input guide into SF inputs as I read them or vice versa but I guess that might put off some people.

drift221

Shocking Your System
Abbreviations of Light, Medium, Heavy, Trait, Stage, Meter Burn or Roman Cancel, Dash and Super should be used as these are the game mechanics. The only other thing that needs to be added are the Back, Foward and QCF, systems on each guide so that both sets of players can get the motions.

From how I understand it they are just attack buttons, not linked to Punch or Kick specifically... so I would be fine using L,M,H,T (Trait), MB (Meter Burn) or 1,2,3, 4/T (Trait), MB
Yes, this sounds good and I suppose just label the movements to "QCF" "DF" etc, if we're going to label the face buttons numerically. I know there's still people more comfortable with the numerical system for movement. I find it much easier, as I can just imagine a Num-pad to learn movements.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
1234 are fine. Fdbu are fine as df easily is understood to be qcf or 236.
As for meter burn saying ex can still apply.
EX for moves fine, but there is a button that has it's only use for supers and for making moves use meter. I guess you can call it the "EX" button... "Press EX" lol

Of course there are interact buttons and universal stage transitions.
I think, like in MK9, that NRS would make it so those moves can be done with combinations of button presses (1+2 or 2+3) for those things so unless you really needed a mapped button or used a pad, they would not be needed.

EX for moves fine, but there is a button that has it's only use for supers and for making moves use meter. I guess you can call it the "EX" button... "Press EX" lol

I think, like in MK9, that NRS would make it so those moves can be done with combinations of button presses (1+2 or 2+3) for those things so unless you really needed a mapped button or used a pad, they would not be needed.
No i mean we don't say do elbow dash but hold block as u do it. We just say ex dash. Same for injustice.

I.also I understand meter burn moves are initiated after the move but if you are writing it out its irrelevant when you make it ex

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Angola should have won the notation prize for SF input, we never called HCF or QCF

QCF = Hadouken
DP = Shoryuken
QCB = Cat Cat (this is tatsumaki, it was miss spelled on SF II's champion edition, so it just ended up sticking for notations)
Hao-Ken (Art Fighting) = FB Hadouken
Shinkuu Hadouken = 2x Hadouken
Shinkuu Tatsumaki = 2x Cat Cat
RDP = R Shoryuken
QFC HCB = Hadouken, Cat Cat
etc etc.

We found the rest too annoying, and ppl killing each other to spell multiple inputs like the SNK ones.
When we hear this we say "WTF? Just say Cat Cat Damn it" (which is what we used to miss spell tatsumaki back then)

When someone says hadouken ppl know they're talking about QCF and when they say "complete Hadouken" ppl know is a HCF

lol

LMHT makes the most sense to me. As for directions who cares? Use MK style because thats the default. Anyone intentionally switching to SF style is intelligent enough to realize df=qcf and that they can use the movelist in-game for whatever they might need...

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Well the buttons are
LMH
PSM

However you don't really need to worry about the Stage or Meter buttons in regular notations, or really even the character power button.
Since the game is still using strings we will have to say things like M,L,H or H,L,M, or even M,H,H+M, and saying that out loud might be kinda weird and confusing for some people.
It would probably just be easier to use 1,2,3 since we are already use to it, and it works better for 3D strings, and just call the character trait by its actual name like it was just another special, like Robot bats, or w/e it is official called in the movelist.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Do you understand this --

CR.:lk:, CR.:lk:, CR.:lk:, CR.:lk:, ST.:lk
1x: 5AA, 5C, 236C, 236CD, 214214C/D
d::l:, :d::m:, :d::h:, :qcf::l:, dash, :df::h:, :d::m:, :h: (both hits), :qcf::m:, :h: teleport, late j.:h:, :d::h:, :s:, j.:m:, j.:m:, j.:h:, j.:s:, land, :df::h:

These are 3 different annotations from 3 different FGs, most are universal, but different.
Is that some foreign language...

why make it all complicated. Geez

1 = L
2 = M
3 = H
4 = gimmick
specials = their in game names
button for enhanced = ex or whatever you want
BFDU = directions

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
Is the gimmick button the A(xbox)/X(ps3) button? If so, is that considered "3" in number notation like in MK9? Or would heavy attack be 3?

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Keep notation simple. No need for unnecessary colons, trite lowercase abbreviations, or QCFs.

It looks ugly, confusing, and repels the casual (and to an extent the hardcore) audience.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Keep notation simple. No need for unnecessary colons, trite lowercase abbreviations, or QCFs.

It looks ugly, confusing, and repels the casual (and to an extent the hardcore) audience.
i prefer to call them Hadouken tbh ^^

and those numbers for directional inputs are equally annoying what its really?

8 = Up
4= Back
2 = Down
6 = Forward

this reminded me the num pad on desktops

too much info IMO. lol

Lazoruz

Closer to the coffin, but still kicking..!
From what I've read the buttons are the same as Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.. L, M, H, S, plus the standard F, D, B, notations would just be practical.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I think to make the game more approachable to newcomers AND to draw in FGC dudes who generally try to sneer at NRS we should go with the more known style of notations.

I am referring to :
  • QCB, QCF streetfighter style notations for directions
  • L, M, H, S Marvel style Abbreviations for notations on attacks (light, medium, heavy, special button is easy to figure out at a glance and will catch the eye of Marvel players)
Granted though I:GAU has a few things of its own. For example "S" in this game is actually "G" for gimmick. Also there is a Meter button in this game so for Meter you dont want to use "M" since it is so synonymous with "Medium" and "MM" for "Meter Move" would only make that WAAAAAAAY worse as people would read it as two medium attacks in your notations.

How about something like "MO" for "Meter Option" or possibly something easier at a glance like (Met)?
combo would be something like
D+L, D+M, H, F+H, QCB+ H, QCF+H(Met)
and you would know its down light, down medium, heavy, forward heavy, quarter circle back heavy, and then quarter circle forward heavy with Meter button for its meter burn variant.

You could get this at a glance just guessing and if you are hoping to pull in the really gripey Marvel crowd this annotation would have only (Met) and possibly "G" for them to learn as new things allowing them to jump right in. How does everyone feel on this? MK guys could get it no problem at a glance and it'd make the notations more approachable to the crowds who have to be won over that harbor a good deal of resistance towards NRS fighters.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I think EX works fine for meterburned moves, it's not EXACTLY an EX move but it gets the idea across to just about anyone.

And G works, but I think T for the official term for the button/mechanic, Trait, might be better. Doesn't make much difference though.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I don't see the big difference, just 1234, with 4 being gimmick. Problem solved and crisis averted.
Personally speaking, I feel that while numbers work for MK9 because the literal notation is more effort and it shares history with Tekken's similarly limb-based button layout, it will certianly serve to confuse non-MK/Tekken players. Just as 1234 was chosen due to similarities to tekken in that regard, LMH is a common notation to other games that have moves segregated by strength. In addition, its meaning is more apparent to people who have no experience with -any- notation.