What's new

Anyone thought about tier list *formatting*?

HOW DO I FORMATTED TIER LIST?

• Every variation in its place

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Only the highest ranking variant in consideration

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Hybridize it... somehow?

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Srsly, this game is gonna make it really easy to shit on tier list fanatics

Votes: 33 52.4%

• Total voters

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
This poll is not made correctly, because the correct answers are 1 and 4. It'll definitely shit on tier list lovers.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
The main problem stems from the idea that we are still debating on if they can switch variations or not.

If we can, that necessitates an entirely different tier format than if we cannot.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
I'm going to enjoy laughing at people trying to make a list like this week 1 or 2. Oh it's week 2 and with essentially 72 to rank you've decided character x variation c is the best in the game and loses no matchups? Cool. There is going to be some seriously stupid shit going on.

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
Ugh. I don't get the hate with tier lists. No, they're never 100% accurate, but they give new players a general idea of what they can expect with a specific character. The middle can be debated but I have yet to see a tier list where the top tier & low tier weren't justified. ex. MMH/Joker Though, I do agree we can do without week 1 tier lists.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
I
I think we should worry about doing match-up numbers and taking match-up numbers to create tier list.

My idea is to take each individual variation and compare it to other Character's variations..take the difference from neutral (If all MU's vs a certain character is 5-5 then the result difference would be zero, 6-4 would be +1 because it is in your favor by 1 match) add them within the variation..do this for the other 2 and find the average
For instance:

Kung Jin's Ancestral variation - Average 0.3
Kung Lao - BS 6-4, HT 5-5, T 5-5 = +1
Kitana - A 4-6, M 4-6, RS 6-4 = -1
Cassie- B 6-4, H 5-5, SO 5-5 = +1

KJ's Bojutsu Variation - Average 2
Kung Lao - BS 5-5, HT 6-4, T 5-5 = +1
Kitana - A 7-3, M 5-5, RS 6-4 = +3
Cassie - B 4-6, H 6-4, SO 6-4 = +2

KJ's Shaolin Variation - Average 0
Kung Lao - BS 4-6, HT 5-5, T 4-6 = -2
Kitana - A 5-5, M 6-4, RS 6-4 = 2
Cassie - B 6-4, H 5-5, SO 4-6 = 0

Kung Jin's overall score - 0.76

Then you take the overall score and put it in order:

Kung Lao - 0.8
KJ - 0.76
Cassie - 0.75
Kitana - 0.68

And that's how you do it, folks. :)

Obviously this is just an assortment of random numbers to show you what I mean
like how Kung Lao still on top!
Hahahahahaha

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
Well i must admit. Tier lists are something we cannot simply ignore. We will have to face it sooner or later. I mean if you got a character who can pull out redicolous stuff you are going to say " this char wrecks all"!!
Then you ll have to consider him/ her top tier ;/

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Ugh. I don't get the hate with tier lists. No, they're never 100% accurate, but they give new players a general idea of what they can expect with a specific character. The middle can be debated but I have yet to see a tier list where the top tier & low tier weren't justified. ex. MMH/Joker Though, I do agree we can do without week 1 tier lists.
In my opinion tier lists hurt people. I was a Vega/Claw player in SF Series, he is always mid to low tier, and always overlooked. I was always bound and determined to make him the best I could. Tier list make a game stale, and force the majority (sheep) in picking the cheapest/overpowered characters, watch some pro play on YouTube, and emulate it, without any thought or desire of their own.

Nothing makes me more sad in a fighter then watching people play a character because they are S tier, because it is easy, instead of mastering a character they like, or prefer.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I have a strong feeling that we will not care for a long while until we start to enter more on character loyalists vibe of knowing each 3 variations well, until then...

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@xWEBSx

I understand what you're saying, but sometimes it doesn't work that way.

In Injustice I had a monster Raven, but she just wasn't that good compared to some of the characters. There were times I could get matched up against Doomsday and if I didn't control the entire match flawlessly then I lose and lose again. Some matches against top tiers I feel I could've won if only I had better tools. I've beaten people with their main, and then watched them switch to Zod or Aquaman and beat me even though they play less with the character. There's no shaking the "what if I had used Top Tier instead" feeling.

Not saying i'm only going to play the MMH/Batgirl of the game, because I wouldn't do that either, but being a low tier hero is played out for me. I've paid my dues lol. I'm going to two tourneys in May. If I lose I'm giving myself the best chance of winning, by using the strongest zoner that fits my style. As in if there are 5 zoners, and the 2nd best one fits me but the 4th is my favorite, I'm main'ing the 2nd best one. The opposite of what I did this time.

From playing Freddy/Kenshi in MK9, and Raven in Injustice, the difference feels like night and day. For fun casuals I'll learn a couple of characters that I enjoy a lot, but for competition I'm going Top 10 this time around.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
@xWEBSx

I understand what you're saying, but sometimes it doesn't work that way.

In Injustice I had a monster Raven, but she just wasn't that good compared to some of the characters. There were times I could get matched up against Doomsday and if I didn't control the entire match flawlessly then I lose and lose again. Some matches against top tiers I feel I could've won if only I had better tools. I've beaten people with their main, and then watched them switch to Zod or Aquaman and beat me even though they play less with the character. There's no shaking the "what if I had used Top Tier instead" feeling.

Not saying i'm only going to play the MMH/Batgirl of the game, because I wouldn't do that either, but being a low tier hero is played out for me. I've paid my dues lol. I'm going to two tourneys in May. If I lose I'm giving myself the best chance of winning, by using the strongest zoner that fits my style. As in if there are 5 zoners, and the 2nd best one fits me but the 4th is my favorite, I'm main'ing the 2nd best one. The opposite of what I did this time.

From playing Freddy/Kenshi in MK9, and Raven in Injustice, the difference feels like night and day. For fun casuals I'll learn a couple of characters that I enjoy a lot, but for competition I'm going Top 10 this time around.
I understand and appreciate where you are coming from.. It just makes me sad. I would get more excited about seeing your Raven, godlike, and get beat by pure skill, by an S tier drone, then watch <insert name> win again, with <insert S tier>.
Thanks for your time spent as a Mid/low tier hero, I wish more would embrace it, then it may not be..
Vanilla Sagat
Vanilla Sagat
MMH
MMH
Bat Girl
Bay Girl
S Tier
S Tier
S Tier
*yawn*

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I understand and appreciate where you are coming from.. It just makes me sad. I would get more excited about seeing your Raven, godlike, and get beat by pure skill, by an S tier drone, then watch <insert name> win again, with <insert S tier>.
Thanks for your time spent as a Mid/low tier hero, I wish more would embrace it, then it may not be..
Vanilla Sagat
Vanilla Sagat
MMH
MMH
Bat Girl
Bay Girl
S Tier
S Tier
S Tier
*yawn*
Yea man you're dead on. Its a lot more hype watching other characters in a Top 8 or Grand Finals than "MMH vs Aquaman". The one thing I feel I took away from it is that it felt very rewarding to win sometimes knowing you just beat a great player with a Top Tier character.

I'm saying all this now but when the game drops I'll probably play who extends my skills anyway regardless. I'm probably just still salty after two years of Raven vs Doomsday and Grundy MU's lol.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Yea man you're dead on. Its a lot more hype watching other characters in a Top 8 or Grand Finals than "MMH vs Aquaman". The one thing I feel I took away from it is that it felt very rewarding to win sometimes knowing you just beat a great player with a Top Tier character.

I'm saying all this now but when the game drops I'll probably play who extends my skills anyway regardless. I'm probably just still salty after two years of Raven vs Doomsday and Grundy MU's lol.
It happens man...
That feeling, you are rock solid, feeling good, feeling zoned in.. Nothing but F'ing counter MU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL day.. Enough to make you want to kick a kitten.
I'm sure you will do fine with whomever you decide (as long as his first name doesn't start with E, last name starts with B)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
It happens man...
That feeling, you are rock solid, feeling good, feeling zoned in.. Nothing but F'ing counter MU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL day.. Enough to make you want to kick a kitten.
I'm sure you will do fine with whomever you decide (as long as his first name doesn't start with E, last name starts with B)
Lmao!!! You must be referring to Erron Black. I agree. Unless he's my zoner of course. :DOGE

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Lmao!!! You must be referring to Erron Black. I agree. Unless he's my zoner of course. :DOGE
That's a BINGO!!!
something tells me... I got a strange feeling about Mr. Black...
Variations: (will compare to IGAU)
1) Harley Quinn-esque - using dual wielding in combo and straight, up, and lower shots. (Quick, combo based style utilizing dual pistols)
2) a possible sawed off style ala Lobo, the movement, the raw, up close power and of course mix ups. (More in your face, close quarters combat using firearms)
3) a hybrid of pistol/ rifle class (see: Deadshot) zone zone zone all day long, high, low, air, fast, slow, bullets all day er'ry day...(pure zone, you stay on your side, I stay on mine).

NRS will not make a cowboy type character, give him the allure of a bounty hunter/Bobba Fett, bad ass, and make him rush down.

Edit: I expect Mr Black to get the se welcome Deadshot got.. Tons of salt,
Tons of crying nerf.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
That's a BINGO!!!
something tells me... I got a strange feeling about Mr. Black...
Variations: (will compare to IGAU)
1) Harley Quinn-esque - using dual wielding in combo and straight, up, and lower shots. (Quick, combo based style utilizing dual pistols)
2) a possible sawed off style ala Lobo, the movement, the raw, up close power and of course mix ups. (More in your face, close quarters combat using firearms)
3) a hybrid of pistol/ rifle class (see: Deadshot) zone zone zone all day long, high, low, air, fast, slow, bullets all day er'ry day...(pure zone, you stay on your side, I stay on mine).

NRS will not make a cowboy type character, give him the allure of a bounty hunter/Bobba Fett, bad ass, and make him rush down.

Edit: I expect Mr Black to get the se welcome Deadshot got.. Tons of salt,
Tons of crying nerf.
Nice breakdown. I could picture him being something like this. Instant nerf cry from people lol.

Just think of the Japanese tier lists for older NEO GEO games like Kizuna's Encounter or Last Blade 2. They have "Power" or "Speed" or "EX" for their variations and they judged them from that. Should use it for this game.

*though, I'm shocked we're talking about tier lists 3 weeks late, compared to how people talked about MK9 and Injustice tier lists so early on.

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
I prefer more generalized tier lists. For example maybe just 3 catagories.

Best
middle
not as good

Individual ranking is so subjective and convoluted most of the time. One mans garbage tier is another mans 9-1 nightmare matchup. Iv said it before but it never hurts to say, tier lists are only relevant at the highest levels of play. Your top tier vs a much better players bottom tier character will be a 10-0 stomping, I dont care what tools you have that TomBrady said counter his characters tools well. When its 2 very high level roughly equal skilled players, then the intricacies and nuances come out to play and we can begin to weigh character advantages.

d3v

SRK
For most games with similar systems, the default choice was to simply list the best options/variations.

For example, here's that the SFA3 tier list from the old Shoryuken wiki looks like.
S Class:

• V Akuma
  • A, V Dhalsim
  • V Sodom
A Class:

• V Sakura
  • V Claw
  • V Karin
B+ Class:

• V Zangief
  • V Sagat
B Class: