What's new

Anyone thought about tier list *formatting*?

HOW DO I FORMATTED TIER LIST?

• Every variation in its place

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Only the highest ranking variant in consideration

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Hybridize it... somehow?

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Srsly, this game is gonna make it really easy to shit on tier list fanatics

Votes: 33 52.4%

• Total voters

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
For most games with similar systems, the default choice was to simply list the best options/variations.

For example, here's that the SFA3 tier list from the old Shoryuken wiki looks like.
S Class:

• V Akuma
  • A, V Dhalsim
  • V Sodom
A Class:

• V Sakura
  • V Claw
  • V Karin
B+ Class:

• V Zangief
  • V Sagat
B Class:

• V Rolento
  • V Ryu
  • V Charlie
  • V Cody
  • A Gen
C+ Class:

• V Cammy
  • A Guy
  • A, V Chun-Li
  • V Ken
C Class:

• A, V Adon
  • A, V Rose
  • A Dictator
  • A, V Blanka
  • V Juni
D Class:

• A, V Dan
  • A Boxer
  • V Honda
E Class:

• A, V R.Mika
  • A, V Birdie
  • V Juli
I would have to agree that if you had to choose a game to compare, it would be this..however, this game is going to blow that out of the water with variations..and the great thing is, it is going to be based on our community...

What is the flavor:
-People playing one character, one variation?
-People playing one character, all variations?
-People playing multiple characters, one variation each?
-People playing multiple characters, multiple variations each?

My money is that the community as a whole will favor 1 or 2, and THAT being said, it is extremely important to let the game, matchups, variations breath, go from walking to running, before talking about nerf, tier list, broken, or buffs.

REMEMBER: All fighters get a character or two that are mined and quick teched by pro's to appear broken or overpowered, but time is needed to let the rest of the cast catch up. And with the potential of all the characters, variations, DLC, this could potentially be one of the deepest technical fighters to date.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
Tier lists should assume that you use the best variation for that MU.
not doing that would be like taking execution into account when giving MU numbers.

Reactions: d3v

Dramatica

Forecast calls for missiles
So far, there are 7482 non-mirror matchups in this game, so I'll probably just do a google doc or something for the matchup chart. Unlimited space.
I love how some people suggested ranking matchups! Haha I'm not sure everyone reading the thread understands that there actually are 7482 different matchups so far when each variation is treated as a character.

Have fun making that list, turds!

Last edited:
The thing is, we still don't fully know to what extent variations are going to effect the character's play style.

For example, Reptile strikes me as a character where the variation chosen may not make a particularly huge difference, given that he has so many universal moves. Of course, there are likewise tons of variations with potentially enormous ramifications.

My point is, since we really shouldn't be making tier lists until at least July anyway... why worry about it NOW? It just seems like a waste of energy.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Every variation in it's place would equal over 2,500 matchups. Getting this community to agree on a single matchup is like pulling teeth, good luck on 2,500+! :confused:

Last edited:

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
As a Rain and Sonya main in MK9, I acknowledge how useful and important it was for me to understand the match-ups for my characters, so that I could understand their weaknesses and strengths against other characters. Characters like Subzero and Kensh could be a pain in the ass for a Sonya player because it was hard to approach Kenshi and when you're fighting Subzero, you have to change your gameplan, you can't go super rushdown at him unless you want to keep eating his ice clones. With the variation system now in MKX, it may be a lot easier to manage what department which your character lacks in. Kitana and Johnny Cage are some of the examples that illustrate perfectly what I expected when I first heard of variations. Kitana's Assassin and Johnny Cage's Fisticuff are more rushdown oriented, while Kitana's Royal Storm and Johnny's Stunt Double are meant to be played defensively/zoning. That's exactly what I was expecting: variations that differ significantly from each other and that may drastically change a character's play style. I can already assume that Kenshi's Balanced would be a bad or a 5-5 match-up at most for Kitana's Mournful, considering how bad the match-up was for Jade against Kenshi in MK9, but that's just an assumption. I plan to main Sonya again in MKX and from what I saw, she looks pretty rushdown to me. She can be insane with those grenades in her Demolition variation, but also can have a more strategic play style with the Special Forces variation like Kung Lao's Hat Trick since she can park that drone and play mind games with the opponent. Kenshi's Balanced could be a tough match-up, but his Kenjutsu doesn't seem to be a threat, that variation is Emac-esque. The most important thing is that we're not getting another Kabal all over again.

Having said all of that, I think it would be tough to create match-up lists here on the forum because you have to consider all of the characters' variations now. As Ed Boon said, Subzero B could be shit against Scorpion A, but Subzero A could body Scorpion A or C. Of course, tier lists could be easier to come up with because there aren't that much variety in every character's variations, take Reptile for example, he has only one move for each variation.

Thoughts?

Edit: I noticed that they included the frame data for every character string combos in the movelist, including start-up, active and recovery frames. How AWESOME is that?!

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
They would get treated as separate entities. We've had this discussion a few times before

Match up's are going to be hell; it's kinda why i'm hoping they don't create too many DLC characters. I also think the variations are cool considering matchup's; It's like you're switching characters, but at the same time not switching characters (if that makes sense) lol. I got into Street fighter waay too late, I can still play in tournaments but there are just too many characters too learn with SFV coming out next year. With MKX, it's a fresh start for everyone and we can all learn/share/expose new tech at the same pace. I'm still pretty new to NRS games. I played MK9 when it first came out (Kitana main), but there weren't any characters I was really fond of. With Tanya making a come back a long with some other old favorites, I can really be devoted to this game. I'm just afraid NRS is gonna patch this game to death like I heard they did with all there other games. Patching a gaming multiple times too early is just a turn off.

What I really dig about MKX is that enhanced training mode they showed off on stream last week when they were going over Shinnok's variations. So much potential to be explored. I expect this game to be the fighter of 2015 and 2016.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Haha I'm not sure everyone reading the thread understands that there actually are 7482 different matchups so far when each variation is treated as a character.
Therefore, for the sake of our own sanity, can we focus a bit more on strategy and a bit less on creating full comprehensive list of matchups? Eventually, as people master kits and play their FT20 we will always be able to fill that monster of a chart. But now? Ew...

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Numbers are hard.
I recommend the easy/neutral/hard scale I used to have for Bane (since his MUs were somewhat dependent on the amount of knowledge of the MU each player had). Easy will be anything up to 7-3, Neutral will cover 6-4 through 4-6, and hard is 3-7 onwards.

You don't have to agree to the specific number, just how it feels.

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
Numbers are hard.
I recommend the easy/neutral/hard scale I used to have for Bane (since his MUs were somewhat dependent on the amount of knowledge of the MU each player had). Easy will be anything up to 7-3, Neutral will cover 6-4 through 4-6, and hard is 3-7 onwards.

You don't have to agree to the specific number, just how it feels.
I can also see it as just a "W", "L", or "N".