What's new

Question - Leatherface Anyone else eating their words?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Tanya has a role im story mode as does Fujin and Bo Rai Cho. Bo + Tanya are DLC with story imvolvement so that example makes no sense regardless. Not to mentiom Kenshi's DLC status in MK9 lead to him beimg bridged into the story and playable out the gate in X.
I would say that their involvement in the plot was very minimal

Fair, bad examples.

Is there any evidence to suggest that Fujin won't be a main cast member in a future MK game?

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
I'll admit that I was one of the people who had an adverse reaction to Leatherface when he was first revealed. I'd go so far as to say I hated the idea of him being in. I would have rather had an MK character, it didn't matter who.

As time passed, I thought that a chainsaw wielding character is an interesting concept in a fighting game, and I'd like to see just what NRS could do with that concept.

Fast forward to the Kombat Cast, and I now like Leatherface as an addition. I really like what NRS did with the concept of a chainsaw wielding character. He looks really fun, and I'd like to play him.

As an aside, I don't really have any particular love for the Leatherface character, but the attention done to replicate elements of his character in the movies is really well done. The variation costumes, the use of the tenderizer, the angry chainsaw dance being his winpose--it's all very good. I appreciate the level of work done on him, even if I don't particularly love him.

Espio

Kokomo
I would say that their involvement in the plot was very minimal

Fair, bad examples.

Is there any evidence to suggest that Fujin won't be a main cast member in a future MK game?
I mean, it doesn't really matter how significant or small their roles are, the point is they had story roles while simultaneously being DLC characters.

However, even if that was a requirement, Tanya is instrumental to freeing Mileena according to Kotal Kahn. In other words, she is a crucial key to the Outworld civil war, which eventually leads to the stealing of Shinnok's amulet and his eventual return. Without Rain and Tanya, there is no amulet theft, no rebellion and a lot of events would have not come to be. Tanya is extremely relevant to the story.

Bo Rai Cho however is not and only makes a brief plot device cameo before getting bodied and sent home on an uber.

^^None of this matters, I just wanted to back up my case ^^.

There is no evidence to suggest that he will or that he won't be playable beyond speculation and theories so it's kind of pointless for me to play arm chair Miss Cleo about his future. MK11 is no better time than to give him his spotlight and if they don't then that will say enough about Fujin. The trolling across two games has been real, but I'm thankful Fujin is on a lower rung for me in terms of characters I like (I can't blame Fujin fans or fans in general for being annoyed honestly and nobody else should either). Thankfully I got a personal favorite day 1 (Goro),

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
My point is that my idea of what characters Injustice could include is much smaller than what characters MKX could include.

Injustice - Superheroes and Supervillains

MKX - MK characters along with Horror and Pop Culture icons

I was in high school when Mortal Kombat came out. There was no fiction. The characters were ninjas and pop culture look-alikes and the game was a one-on-one fighter with a horror theme.

When Injustice came out, I already had an idea of what it should be. My idea came from watching Saturday morning cartoons as a kid. Scorpion was an MK guy. To me, he not only didn't fit - but he broke the universe and the game lost its allure because of it.

Now, I'm excited about Leatherface - but I can certainly see why others aren't. To them, he ranges from distasteful to breaking the universe.

When they got into MK, they did so through the fiction - so any break from that fiction can potentially break the universe for them.

What i'm saying though is that if you are familiar with the DC universe, animated or otherwise, Scorpion doesn't break anything.

It is a world where ninjas, demons, and demon ninjas already exist. It is a world where hell already exists. It is a world where interdimensional travel and universe hopping characters exists.

Nothing about Scorpion contradicts anything in that game. It's more of "I don't like my food touching" than "this doesn't fit" and there isn't anything wrong with you feeling that way, i'm just saying it isn't exactly what you're saying it is.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I mean, it doesn't really matter how significant or small their roles are, the point is they had story roles while simultaneously being DLC characters.

However, even if that was a requirement, Tanya is instrumental to freeing Mileena according to Kotal Kahn. In other words, she is a crucial key to the Outworld civil war, which eventually leads to the stealing of Shinnok's amulet and his eventual return. Without Rain and Tanya, there is no amulet theft, no rebellion and a lot of events would have not come to be. Tanya is extremely relevant to the story.

Bo Rai Cho however is not and only makes a brief plot device cameo before getting bodied and sent home on an uber.

^^None of this matters, I just wanted to back up my case ^^.

There is no evidence to suggest that he will or that he won't be playable beyond speculation and theories so it's kind of pointless for me to play arm chair Miss Cleo about his future. MK11 is no better time than to give him his spotlight and if they don't then that will say enough about Fujin. The trolling across two games has been real, but I'm thankful Fujin is on a lower rung for me in terms of characters I like (I can't blame Fujin fans or fans in general for being annoyed honestly and nobody else should either). Thankfully I got a personal favorite day 1

The problem Espio, is that nothing you described specifically requires Tanya or Rain as characters to happen. By that I mean that they cause things to happen, but the events aren't centered or even really about them.

DLC Tanya acts/looks/has a completely different persona than Story Tanya, they may as well be different characters.

Tanya is more plot device in the story than actual character and yes, there is a difference. In fact, you could probably replace Rain with Baraka and Tanya with a genetic Tarkatan and the events that take place in story mode would be virtually unchanged.

People like the IDEA of Fujin, not the reality of what the character is.

They need to get over it.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Before I begin, I have to point out that this is coming from someone who has been a loyal, diehard MK fan since I (accidentally - I didn't even know fatalities were a thing!) ripped Sonya blade's head off way back in the spring of 1993.

Anyway, here goes:

Some of you MK fanboys are fucking dorks. Listen, the MK universe is fictional. It's contrived. It's always subject to arbitrary change and it's always at the mercy of its whimsical creators. Therefore, this perpetual argument that (character x) doesn't "fit" MK is inherently illogical and patently moronic. Based on the reasoning some of you have endorsed, you just as easily could have argued that Stryker, Sektor, and Cyrax didn't belong in MK before MK3 dropped.

What you guys really should be writing is that (character x) doesn't fit YOUR idea of what the MK universe SHOULD be, not what the MK universe actually is (I.e. What its creators have decided it to be)

Lastly, lighten the fuck up! It's not real. It's a fictional universe created for a video game. Do yourselves a favor: Sit back and enjoy the innovations of one of the most creative video game developers on the planet. And if you really don't like a few characters, do what I do: Take them into training mode and beat the ever-living shit out of them. (That goofy sounding fuck, reptile, will be getting his daily beating shortly :) )

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
What i'm saying though is that if you are familiar with the DC universe, animated or otherwise, Scorpion doesn't break anything.

It is a world where ninjas, demons, and demon ninjas already exist. It is a world where hell already exists. It is a world where interdimensional travel and universe hopping characters exists.

Nothing about Scorpion contradicts anything in that game. It's more of "I don't like my food touching" than "this doesn't fit" and there isn't anything wrong with you feeling that way, i'm just saying it isn't exactly what you're saying it is.
This was my familiarity with the DC Universe...

Try putting Scorpion into that. :p

We generally agree. I like it the way it is, but I can see why others don't.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
MK is not specific in who "fits" Stryker was just a cop, yet now he "fits". Nobody thought the cyborgs fit when MK3 first came out, and now they fit too. The MK universe is set up in a way so practically anything can fit in. Moloch and Ferra/Torr aren't trained fighters, just big guys who are strong because they are big, yet nobody has a problem with them.

@BatmanBeatsCap: Does he even need to be special though? MK9 and MKX have made it seem like the characters aren't as tough as I thought they were. Even in the comics Kotal was brought to his knees by a single handgun bullet. Reptile's once extremely corrosive acid's effects can apparently be avoided if you have a bottle of water on hand.

I don't think his inclusion has to do with him being special or having powers (If we are being technical Sonya, Stryker not Jacqui have powers either, just great fighters with weapons) but more to do with him being an iconic character. He also likely would never get caught up in the battle for Earthrealm or being in Outworld but he could easily be in Earthrealm considering Earthrealm is nothing but MK's Earth. It would be no different than Jason., if NRS writes them into being in Earthrealm, it works.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Nah, I'm still only interested in Cyrax. I can't get behind a character I don't care about, no matter how good they are.

Tweedy

Noob
Well, I'm not surprised this thread went the way it did.

You have a bunch of tear-jerking because people didn't get Reiko or Hsu-Hao or whoever over Leatherface.

You have a lot of people using the word, "original" when I'm fairly certain they don't know what the word means.

Anyway, I'm very excited about the character, and I've been pretty consistent in that regard. I'm looking forward to breaking the character down and learning every thing there is to know about his gameplay. Should be loads of fun cutting up robots and aliens.
Yeah, I made the thread because i'm surprised that Leatherface is as cool as he is. Not because I think that he's cooler than any other MK characters.

But again.

BUTCHER BOYZ

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
Before I begin, I have to point out that this is coming from someone who has been a loyal, diehard MK fan since I (accidentally - I didn't even know fatalities were a thing!) ripped Sonya blade's head off way back in the spring of 1993.

Anyway, here goes:

Some of you MK fanboys are fucking dorks. Listen, the MK universe is fictional. It's contrived. It's always subject to arbitrary change and it's always at the mercy of its whimsical creators. Therefore, this perpetual argument that (character x) doesn't "fit" MK is inherently illogical and patently moronic. Based on the reasoning some of you have endorsed, you just as easily could have argued that Stryker, Sektor, and Cyrax didn't belong in MK before MK3 dropped.

What you guys really should be writing is that (character x) doesn't fit YOUR idea of what the MK universe SHOULD be, not what the MK universe actually is (I.e. What its creators have decided it to be)

Lastly, lighten the fuck up! It's not real. It's a fictional universe created for a video game. Do yourselves a favor: Sit back and enjoy the innovations of one of the most creative video game developers on the planet. And if you really don't like a few characters, do what I do: Take them into training mode and beat the ever-living shit out of them. (That goofy sounding fuck, reptile, will be getting his daily beating shortly :) )
Guest characters don't fit simply because they are not part of canon Mortal Kombat universe. Simple as that.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist

lmao that's one of the things that confuses me the most.

There is no slot wasting with this DLC. With the main roster slots every single one of those characters is there because they play a role in the story, those slots actually really matter to the entire series, with DLC they have absolutely zero fucking effect on the canon of the games. If any of these characters were in the main roster instead of any of the returning characters there'd be a sound complaint because you wouldn't get to find out what those characters were up to and they wouldn't have any part in this era of MK history. Shang Tsung being in the initial release means something because it means he'll do something big in the story. Him being DLC means he'll get updated visually and have some new attacks. He'd be all gameplay and a little flair. That's good enough for me, but seeing the reaction to LF, it's not good enough for these diehards, but I'm sure if this was how things turned out they'd be singing a different tune.

I wanted Sheeva in MKX, not really because I wanted to play her, but more so because I wanted to see more of her story. Sure playing her would be fun but there are 25+ fucking characters I can play for fun, so her getting in as DLC instead of the main roster doesn't really mean anything.

Of course so many people think with their hearts instead of logically first.

Why do you want Rain/Fujin/Whoeverthehell? Because you like the character right? Well you don't get any updates to the character with DLC, you just get gameplay. Do you want them back for the gameplay you liked on previous games? Well that's pointless too because NRS changes how their characters play every damn game.
Baraka, Sindel, Rain, Fujin, Sareena, Li Mei and Frost played a part in the main story, bigger or smaller, I think you can understand fans of those characters wanting their favs instead of guests. Personally I wanted Shang Tsung, but I wouldn't have had any issue with having one of those characters instead (even Baraka, witch I really dislike), Leatherface IS a wasted slot.

Guest characters don't fit simply because they are not part of canon Mortal Kombat universe. Simple as that.
Witch would be fine if we had no more than 1 guest per KP and every character that played a role in the story would be in the cast instead of being NPC.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
The universe/lore of this game isn't supposed to be taken so seriously. The franchise was built on gore and being goofy.
The story became important eventually. Otherwise there wouldn't be Mythologiez Sub-Zero and Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks, Story Modes, movies, serials, comics books, etc. Mortal Kombat is a separate universe of its own with its own characters and the roster became huge for these past +20 years and any character of this entire canon roster is much more fascinating to see revisited with new technology than any guest character in the world.