What's new

Question - Leatherface Anyone else eating their words?

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Why can't appealing to horror movie fans and MK fans be separate? Why isn't anyone addressing the idea that horror movie icons and MK games DONT NEED TO BE MIXED TOGETHER

They own the hobbit, harry potter, and lord of the rings. They have a hobbit game, a harry potter game, and a lord of the rings game.

This is like saying, "Warner brothers is trying to appeal to harry potter fans as well as DC fans, so they put dumbledore in injustice 2."

This time they are trying to appeal to horror movie fans by mixing it with MK? why? If you want to appeal to leatherface / horror movie fans, make a friday the 13th game. Make a texas chainsaw massacre game.

Who the F am I kidding. I would main the F out of dumbledore if he was in IGAU2
Thanks for this post. This cleared up a lot for me...

To me, Leatherface breaks with the fiction much less in an MK game than Scorpion broke it in Injustice for me.

Although, this bridge does allow me to get the hate. I HATED Scorpion's inclusion in Injustice. I actually stopped playing it shortly after and I think that Scorpion was the reason. His inclusion broke the fiction for me - breaking the game's hold on me.

Now, MK has always been a horror game first. I started playing MK with the first one, when it was just a fighting game with no fiction behind it. The fiction was the gore and the look-alike cameos.

When Injustice came out, I was already versed in the game's fiction - so when Scorpion got included - it broke with that fiction - for me.

So, I get all the hate now from those that hate Leatherface's inclusion. You guys started playing MK later - when there was a fiction - so the more outsiders that join - the more it breaks the fiction for you.

The divide is between those that see MK as a horror franchise and those that see it as its fiction - or its own creative universe.

Those that see as a competitive medium first could go either way.

I'm just glad that I can see it clearly now - so that communication will continue despite differing perspectives.

I wonder if the group at NRS sees it. It's speculation, but by his design - I bet they do...

Last edited:

FallofSeraphs76

Beware of a sharp edged weapon,called human being
Um...because theres nothing scary nor entertaining about a man with a chainsaw. If this was real life and someone said theres a mad man on the loose with a chainsaw, wouldnt be hard to avoid considering i can hear this man 20miles away. ...And no i never watched his movies...nor will i...even new ones.

Now if u tell me theres a Jack Frost on a loose..Then we would have a problem. Jack Frost definately should have made the cut.. when they auditioned for the spot :coffee:
If someone came at you with a chain saw and someone face as a mask...I bet you would scream like a biatch! Phhppphh! YOU NEED TO WATCH THE ORIGINAL TEXAS CHAINSAW...not the newer ones...the orginal from the 70s

FallofSeraphs76

Beware of a sharp edged weapon,called human being
Why can't appealing to horror movie fans and MK fans be separate? Why isn't anyone addressing the idea that horror movie icons and MK games DONT NEED TO BE MIXED TOGETHER

They own the hobbit, harry potter, and lord of the rings. They have a hobbit game, a harry potter game, and a lord of the rings game.

This is like saying, "Warner brothers is trying to appeal to harry potter fans as well as DC fans, so they put dumbledore in injustice 2."

This time they are trying to appeal to horror movie fans by mixing it with MK? why? If you want to appeal to leatherface / horror movie fans, make a friday the 13th game. Make a texas chainsaw massacre game.

Who the F am I kidding. I would main the F out of dumbledore if he was in IGAU2
Because it brings new players to Mortal Kombat!!!! Its not necessarily for existing players...its to bring in a new set of players that otherwise would not have picked up the game. the only reason I bought MKX on preorder was due to the fact Jason was in the game... Otherwise I would have stuck with my Killer Instinct until I seen the entire MK game and gave it a shot on down the line.

Israel

Noob
If someone came at you with a chain saw and someone face as a mask...I bet you would scream like a biatch! Phhppphh! YOU NEED TO WATCH THE ORIGINAL TEXAS CHAINSAW...not the newer ones...the orginal from the 70s
Um..no. What makes ppl like jason or mich myers scary over this guys is....

If i disarm jason or Michael, their still a threat cuz they are strong or not human..(kinda). so i would have to find a way to fight back STILL.

Disarm the chump known as Leatherface?...no threat. Jack Frost should have made the cut for the audition.
And nah..not watching those trash movies. Id rather tune into Sharknado the 4th...:coffee:

E

Eldriken

If i disarm jason or Michael, their still a threat cuz they are strong or not human..(kinda). so i would have to find a way to fight back STILL.

Disarm the chump known as Leatherface?...no threat. Jack Frost should have made the cut for the audition.
And nah..not watching those trash movies. Id rather tune into Sharknado the 4th...:coffee:
Yeah, I wouldn't be scared of Leatherface at all if he was running after me without a weapon.

Pfffffft. Please.

You should check out the movies (many of which are admittedly shitty), because it would appear that you aren't aware of how dangerous he is. The original 1974 movie is just plain chilling and is actually on netflix if I'm not mistaken.

Leatherface has killed many times without his chainsaw. His very first kill was with a hammer, and soon after the meat hook followed.

Israel

Noob
You should check out the movies (many of which are admittedly shitty), because it would appear that you aren't aware of how dangerous he is. The original 1974 movie is just plain chilling and is actually on netflix if I'm not mistaken.

Leatherface has killed many times without his chainsaw. His very first kill was with a hammer, and soon after the meat hook followed.
Nope.. still garbage..:coffee: this tea is quite good

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Butcher's tech throw restand but pushes you so far away, even in the corner. Without the Killer range, it would kind of take you out of the rush down game. While the EX chainsaw thing looks awesome, I think Butcher is a bust...
Not necessarily. Remember, you don't necessarily have to end your combo in the grab. Also, the range he leaves you at after is just outside of his sweet spot for his d4 and sweep, and inside of the range of his universal, advancing OH/LOW specials.

I think it'll be fine.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Well, I'm not surprised this thread went the way it did.

You have a bunch of tear-jerking because people didn't get Reiko or Hsu-Hao or whoever over Leatherface.

You have a lot of people using the word, "original" when I'm fairly certain they don't know what the word means.

Anyway, I'm very excited about the character, and I've been pretty consistent in that regard. I'm looking forward to breaking the character down and learning every thing there is to know about his gameplay. Should be loads of fun cutting up robots and aliens.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Not at all. I just accepted the fact that he's not going away and I have a new match up to learn, but still just as Quaker oatmeal tier as before. In fact, seeing footage confirmed that there was so little for the character that they gave him a zoning variation for a character who would never be trying to keep his opponent out and away from him. But it's whatever. I have a handful of characters I like to use or am hype to explore come March (Triborg). You can't expect to like everyone.
search your feelings

you know you love him

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast

You have a bunch of tear-jerking because people didn't get Reiko or Hsu-Hao or whoever over Leatherface.

You have a lot of people using the word, "original" when I'm fairly certain they don't know what the word means.

Anyway, I'm very excited about the character, and I've been pretty consistent in that regard. I'm looking forward to breaking the character down and learning every thing there is to know about his gameplay. Should be loads of fun cutting up robots and aliens.
THE

SACRED

LORE

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword

Lol NO ONE wanted Hsu-Hao bro.

Lol he would f*** you up even without a chainsaw bruh. He may be retarded but he's big.

Still an incredibly boring character both design and gameplay wise in my eyes.

Wont be buying him even if I would save money by getting the bundle lol

GAV

Why? I mean, I kind of get it, but the universes have crossed over before, and I think them both being in their respective dimensions works fine.

A human with no special training or abilities does not fit in the game. He would be fodder, not a competitor.
You get it though, right?

For those who were around at the start of MK1, the initial fiction was horror and pop culture - so cameos from those genres are barely cameos at all and don't break it.

Last edited:

GAV

I mean, I didn't understand your point. I wasn't disagreeing with it, because everyone has their own rules and preferences and stuff..

But to me, Scorpion fits into IGAU better than LF does in MKX, purely because the universes have clashed before, and that fits in with the nature of comic books.

I also don't really mind horror characters being in MKX. Given that MKX, like comic books, tends to include other dimensions, I think it can make sense, and I have no problem with Freddy, Alien, Predator etc finding their way into outworld somehow.

Leatherface doesn't fit because...he is just some dude, and literally everyone else is so far above his level that he really wouldn't have a chance. There is a gap between say, jaqui and shinnok, but at least she has been training her whole life and is extremely skilled in combat. Leatherface has no redeeming qualities characteristic wise in this context.

Honestly, they may as well as chosen Buffalo Bill from silence of the lambs and had him attack people with lotion, baskets and tiny dogs for as much sense as leatherface makes.
Leatherface fights with a chainsaw and other dangerous weapons. Also, he wears other peoples' skins.

A lot of the fighters in the game shouldn't be able to kompete (see what I did there) with others.

I don't want to split hairs or try to tear the game down, so I won't. All I'm saying is that you knew the fiction going in, so cameos bother you more. I get it, so I'm going to quit arguing. If I had come along when you did, I would probably feel the same way. The difference in our viewpoints comes purely from a generational gap. I was around before the fiction and MK1 was purely a horror and pop-culture thing. You fell upon MK after the fiction was established.

If his strength breaks from the culture for you, then I don't get that. There are variable strengths throughout the kast. Strength (or power level) doesn't even play a part in the tiering.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
THE

SACRED

LORE

lmao that's one of the things that confuses me the most.

There is no slot wasting with this DLC. With the main roster slots every single one of those characters is there because they play a role in the story, those slots actually really matter to the entire series, with DLC they have absolutely zero fucking effect on the canon of the games. If any of these characters were in the main roster instead of any of the returning characters there'd be a sound complaint because you wouldn't get to find out what those characters were up to and they wouldn't have any part in this era of MK history. Shang Tsung being in the initial release means something because it means he'll do something big in the story. Him being DLC means he'll get updated visually and have some new attacks. He'd be all gameplay and a little flair. That's good enough for me, but seeing the reaction to LF, it's not good enough for these diehards, but I'm sure if this was how things turned out they'd be singing a different tune.

I wanted Sheeva in MKX, not really because I wanted to play her, but more so because I wanted to see more of her story. Sure playing her would be fun but there are 25+ fucking characters I can play for fun, so her getting in as DLC instead of the main roster doesn't really mean anything.

Of course so many people think with their hearts instead of logically first.

Why do you want Rain/Fujin/Whoeverthehell? Because you like the character right? Well you don't get any updates to the character with DLC, you just get gameplay. Do you want them back for the gameplay you liked on previous games? Well that's pointless too because NRS changes how their characters play every damn game.

Last edited: