What's new

Any Guitarists on TYM?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
A few years ago, I wrote a song for my buddy Steve, whose annual birthday celebration is called Steve Day. It's a short metal song. I sequenced the drums by hand using Fruity Loops then played the guitar and bass into my laptop with Abelton Live. My brother laid down some vocals and we made a short music video as Steve's birthday present.

Skkra

i suck at writing :( , any tip?
Sadly, this is something I (personally) don't feel can be completely taught... it should just sort of come from within you. Once you've played a bunch of music and know theory/chord progressions/whatever, you should have the tools you need to build songs based on inspiration.

If you CAN write but you're just not happy with your songs right now... just keep writing! =)

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
Sadly, this is something I (personally) don't feel can be completely taught... it should just sort of come from within you. Once you've played a bunch of music and know theory/chord progressions/whatever, you should have the tools you need to build songs based on inspiration.

If you CAN write but you're just not happy with your songs right now... just keep writing! =)
to be honest i don't really know if what i wrote is good or i'm just not happy with it lol.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
sadly the frequency of my playing has gone way down in my adult life but I still do some stuff. A punk band I'm in still: (yes that's me in the thumbnail lol)

solo @ 1:20

NOTE: the video doesn't sync up perfectly to the audio for the lead. don't blame me I didn't do the video edit (it would have been sync'd if I had)

The band I was in through out college. Kind of like Between the Buried and Me but with way more metal and less frilly nonsense. This track is from 2006

A band I was in for about a year in 2011. Just completely psychotic, clattering death metal.

Skkra

to be honest i don't really know if what i wrote is good or i'm just not happy with it lol.
Depends on what you're writing it for though. I write and record a TON of music, but just because I love to write. I rarely even share it with anyone. I'm not trying to get famous. I just do it for the pure enjoyment of it. If you're just writing it for your own enjoyment, then just enjoy. Otherwise, yes, seek feedback and dont be offended by criticism.

OriginalRazer

Kombat Konnoisseur
Hello. Iv been playing since I was around 15. Self taught. No virtuoso by any means but I can handle myself. I play what comes naturally to me from my heart and soul.
I play anything in the E standard style. I could take whatever note the Low E is and tune the rest to it respectively, then play away without it bothering me. Drop D is fun to venture for a bit of fun every now and again. I love metal and rock mostly but don't mind anything really. I prefer to create music with groove be it heavy or soft. Started finger picking more recently and am growing my nails on my picking hand. (Which iv noticed helps a lot, its like having 5 picks when cared for and groomed with care.)

Keep playing this wonderful instrument as its helped pick me up from some bad places :D

All the best,
OBS

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
been playing for 16 years, started when i was 15, self taught

Did the band think writing singing and playing, played the local pubs and night clubs. (19-24 years of age)

Lived in a house with my band mates, did this for 5 years (drank more beers and talked to more cops then I care to remember)

Also taught myself to play drums (pretty simple, but can keep a good beat and play standard shit)

Self financed a Demo and then the band broke up, because they got big heads, and I'm a stubborn asshole lol

now I just play accoustic stuff for my kids and dance around the living room like an idiot.

I used to write all my songs on Acoustic then arrange and finish them on electric.

When I played live I used a simple Marshal stack with a Epiphone Gibson six string ( I love shitty guitars that don't cost money because I think they sound awesome) I used the amp distortion a cry baby Wah and a Danelectro Fab Tone which they don't make anymore (they re made it into this little piece of shit that sounded like shit)

Started playing for the same reason every dude should start playing, to impress a girl.

Long live Rock and Roll

played almost everything half step down, some things drop "d" tuning from that

Edit: the band is actually where I got my handle from, I used Jimmy Potato as a stage name.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
I recently dusted off the shoulders to my guitar and have fallen back in love with it. Here is my first love and baby

I used to play in drop C for the longest time, but now I enjoy drop D above all tunings.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
YO. YES. No bullshit, just chaos. I actually liked this track a lot. The vocalist is solid too. Reminds me a bit of that Burton C. Bell kinda throaty growl.
yea dude, the band is really awesome (I didn't write any of the music so I don't feel like a turd saying that)

they got signed to Relapse a few months ago

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
I try and play by ear and tabs, tho i havent been doing much playing for a long time, guitar has problems connecting to the amp, gonna try to get it fixed, tho i'd rather just get a new one x.x

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
sadly the frequency of my playing has gone way down in my adult life but I still do some stuff. A punk band I'm in still: (yes that's me in the thumbnail lol)

NOTE: the video doesn't sync up perfectly to the audio for the lead. don't blame me I didn't do the video edit (it would have been sync'd if I had)

The band I was in through out college. Kind of like Between the Buried and Me but with way more metal and less frilly nonsense. This track is from 2006

A band I was in for about a year in 2011. Just completely psychotic, clattering death metal.

That solo in the first one was pretty sick

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments

Is that digital snow? lol Sick solo though

Skkra

yea dude, the band is really awesome (I didn't write any of the music so I don't feel like a turd saying that)

they got signed to Relapse a few months ago
Wow. Good for them. I dig that kind of metal sometimes. Not for all the time listening, but I respect when a band says "Hi. We're going to make some crazy fucking noise."

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
A few years ago, I wrote a song for my buddy Steve, whose annual birthday celebration is called Steve Day. It's a short metal song. I sequenced the drums by hand using Fruity Loops then played the guitar and bass into my laptop with Abelton Live. My brother laid down some vocals and we made a short music video as Steve's birthday present.

Hahaha that is really dark I love it.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
That's the same guitar I have. :confused:
Warlocks for life! I believe my model was a 1996 because for they stopped doing the widow headstock for the bronze series and put a 6 line in. I've only seen the platinum series with the widow since then. Used for $150

Madzin

FEAR ME!
@AK Pig Of The Hut

Why did you stop doing this stuff?
I mean to an certain extend it was you life, or wasn´t it?
For my part, I would be never able to extinguish my fire (of passion) and leaving it there, essentially gone...

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I have in terms of guitar:
1996 Fender Stratocaster MIM (pots and pick up replaced with Lace sensor (Blue/Silver/Red))
2000 Gibson Les Paul standard (Honeyburst with stock 490 neck 498 bridge pickup)
2010 Fender Jaguar Blacktop (all modded out with tom anderson H1- and H2+ pickups that can be split)
2007 Fender Aerodyne Telecaster ( stock p-90 neck pick up and a Dimarzio pre-b1 in the bridge)
197os plywood japanese electric HEIT deluxe guitar
2000 Fender DG16 acoustic
2001 Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 head played through a Marshall JCM 900 1960 Lead A cabinet
Fender Mustang 1 practice amp

Pedals: Too many to list.