What's new

General/Other - Sektor XL Sektor Discussion Thread

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Is there any footage about of decent players using Sektor? I am trying to do some research into the proper way to play him but footage of him in real matches is about as rare as a unicorn.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Is there any footage about of decent players using Sektor? I am trying to do some research into the proper way to play him but footage of him in real matches is about as rare as a unicorn.
Watch Reos stream whenever he invites me.

myri

Time Warrior
What's the general consensus on Sektor's tier placement? For some reason I am unable to find a tier list for MKXL.
Very comfortably mid tier, a pretty honest character with good tools but nothing crazy. About A tier, probably the best triborg variation.

Very comfortably mid tier, a pretty honest character with good tools but nothing crazy. About A tier, probably the best triborg variation.
Yeah, that -- mid tier -- was essentially my impression as well. Do you have a link to any recent tier list? Sektor "deserves" to be the strongest considering how superior he is canon wise. :D But what about Smoke, then? He seems to have insane pressure with those safe (?) mixups into smoke bomb.

myri

Time Warrior
Did people know about this?
I didn't even know EX Charge had armor until tonight
I had no ****ing clue. Wow! Armor shouldn't exactly be obscure knowledge, but yeah ... I personally had no idea. Awesome!

Pretty solid tier list in the OP;

http://testyourmight.com/threads/mkxl-post-3-29-16-tier-list-thread.59991/

Smoke is good if you want the vortex.
Thanks! Spontaneously it's around what I expected, with the absurd exception of Kung-Lao near the bottom of the list. I was just asking about Smoke out of curiosity; I would never abandon Sektor for any of his inferior counterparts.

Why are there no matchup threads around here? I'm looking for advice on how to punish Mileena's teleport (both versions). As of now it seems to me like the best option covering both sai and non-sai followup is a mashed d2 – hardly an impressive punish to a teleport. There has to be some way to full-combo punish both versions consistently, no?

Reaper

Noob
If you do the wierd thing where stand up and block right before the mileena teleport hits you can S3 teleport punish everytime but getting that in a match is stupid hard

It works the same as before.

Anyway, guys, there are some things that confuse me about Triborg Sektor's and Triborg Smoke's tier placement. The general consensus is that Sektor is the strongest Triborg version now, or at least on par with Smoke, right? I'd like to hear people's reasoning behind this. Smoke has safe meterless 50/50s (Smoke Bomb is -7 or -8) leading into a vortex, while Sektor has to use either uppercut or meter burn combo to deal damage off of overhead, and they are both more unsafe and cost meter. This is a huge thing in Smoke's favor. I've heard people saying his defense is atrocious. While it's true most characters have some way to deal with his phase on wakeup, throwing out random punishable ex flamethrower for a whopping 13% damage isn't exactly godlike either. Phase has much higher reward and is obviously safe on block, so is it really the worse defensive option?

Really, what is it that keeps Sektor on par with or higher than Smoke? His decent zoning? Better non-ex teleport? And if he is just as good or better, why are Smoke players represented that much more in high-level play? Haven't seen anyone using Sektor to good effect in a tournament environment after the hotfix.

My first thought is

Last edited:

myri

Time Warrior
It works the same as before.

Anyway, guys, there are some things that confuse me about Triborg Sektor's and Triborg Smoke's tier placement. The general consensus is that Sektor is the strongest Triborg version now, or at least on par with Smoke, right? I'd like to hear people's reasoning behind this. Smoke has safe meterless 50/50s (Smoke Bomb is -7 or -8) leading into a vortex, while Sektor has to use either uppercut or meter burn combo to deal damage off of overhead, and they are both more unsafe and cost meter. This is a huge thing in Smoke's favor. I've heard people saying his defense is atrocious. While it's true most characters have some way to deal with his phase on wakeup, throwing out random punishable ex flamethrower for a whopping 13% damage isn't exactly godlike either. Phase has much higher reward and is obviously safe on block, so is it really the worse defensive option?

Really, what is it that keeps Sektor on par with or higher than Smoke? His decent zoning? Better non-ex teleport? And if he is just as good or better, why are Smoke players represented that much more in high-level play? Haven't seen anyone using Sektor to good effect in a tournament environment after the hotfix.

My first thought is
Actually smoke cloud is -4 and smoke bomb (which is the ex one) is +5 on block. It has a lot to do with little technical things. Sektor does have better zoning and up rocket is an amazing tool when used correctly, he can restand with his f212bb string, he just generally does more damage than Smoke does too, I mean they both have to spend bar for decent damage but Smoke has it worse when it's come to that. f212bb is great for punishing a back dash, like you said he has a much better teleport. Also Sektor has his ex dd3 which is armoured and anti-airs where as Smoke doesn't have any armour at all. Honestly the reason why you see more people play Smoke at high level is probably because of the vortex honestly, Sektor can be very unsafe in a lot of ways where as Smoke can safely go for a mixup into smoke cloud with no reason pretty much. If you do play his vortex you do only get mid 20's worth of damage before you have to reset and go for overhead/low again. I mean if you can put your opponent in a situation where they have to block and it's a safe 50/50 into a possible combo, then that seems like a pretty good option to me.

Really I think what it comes down to is Sektor has better tools but there's a lot more risk involved. Just my view.