What's new

General/Other - Drunken Master XL Drunken Master Discussion Thread

NooBooN

I Am Thee Noob Saibot
I hope not. Only mu exp will tell
So far in my experience. If i got caught vomiting(with a little bit of distance between me and the fighter) i would be able to poke or bloxk and punish someone.Sometimes i could even if i was close up on them Not all the time but it a decent part of the time

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
So far in my experience. If i got caught vomiting(with a little bit of distance between me and the fighter) i would be able to poke or bloxk and punish someone.Sometimes i could even if i was close up on them Not all the time but it a decent part of the time
I have the same thing. A few times I've managed to escape punish when I'm vomiting right in someone's face. I think it's more down to people lacking the reflex to punish. Once people get more used to the match up and the drink mechanic itself I think we'll find we get punished a lot more.

We just have to hope that we level up enough to manage it better I guess. It is only day 2 though so onwards and upwards.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I played a bunch of games last night and got caught in a combo after a drink.

My opponent did a combo with smoke, restood me, staggered me in a string, stopped and watched me throw up, then continued to start a whole new combo.

It hurt. Granted, it was my fault and I might be able to avoid that in the future but if the opponent knows how to block, bo is in for a long day

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
I hear ya. I find myself throwing out EXbf4 in a panic which hasn't gone too well most of the time.

DD4~drink is always good to throw out every now and then.

I just need to get into the habit of finishing combos with drink cancels rathe than maximising damage for an extra 4-5% everytime. Most of his combos are so similar that my muscle memory just doesn't allow changes.

Breakthrough...

Every time I use bump and dump and take the drink, I can usually mix up my opponent with a string into dd3. On hit I go into the 3 launcher and on block I go into roll to stay safe.

One bump and dump can change the entire pace of the match.
Roll backwards or forwards and what is your go to string ?

NooBooN

I Am Thee Noob Saibot
I have the same thing. A few times I've managed to escape punish when I'm vomiting right in someone's face. I think it's more down to people lacking the reflex to punish. Once people get more used to the match up and the drink mechanic itself I think we'll find we get punished a lot more.

We just have to hope that we level up enough to manage it better I guess. It is only day 2 though so onwards and upwards.
Yea i figured as much but i think the vomit has potential. Maybe at the right distances and situations purposely vomit and bait punish. I see so much potential in this variation.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Roll backwards or forwards and what is your go to string ?
Well...it's easier now that people are not used to his strings but I find that 244 works. Sometimes I yolo the dd3 3 and that also works. If they are blocking good I'll dd3 roll away bf3 head butt. Usuall it catches people chasing me down

I can also stagger and use fart pressure.

If they are reversal happy I'll roll forwards and try to punish their reversal attempt. That is character specific though

Well...it's easier now that people are not used to his strings but I find that 244 works. Sometimes I yolo the dd3 3 and that also works. If they are blocking good I'll dd3 roll away bf3 head butt. Usuall it catches people chasing me down

I can also stagger and use fart pressure.

If they are reversal happy I'll roll forwards and try to punish their reversal attempt. That is character specific though
Oh Ok cool I'm a try this, what string s do you stagger. I always end up using 1212 and f1

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Oh Ok cool I'm a try this, what string s do you stagger. I always end up using 1212 and f1
Yup and 111. I'll attempt to condition them with 244 fart and 24 flip kick to make them respect and block. Then start using 24 fart and 111, 121, 1212, and if they are super scared I'll just try using all his full strings.

AceOfKnaves

Hallucin8
I've had the same experience, of course the puking animation varies on the amount of drinks you have.

I also noticed too tho that if you delay your self from getting up from a knock down at the end of the puke timer you don't puke.

NooBooN

I Am Thee Noob Saibot
I've had the same experience, of course the puking animation varies on the amount of drinks you have.

I also noticed too tho that if you delay your self from getting up from a knock down at the end of the puke timer you don't puke.
Wow thats awesome. Thanks man

NooBooN

I Am Thee Noob Saibot
New tech. So after more testing of zen. I think ive found its legitimate purpose. Apparently zen is to cover Bo's Gap strings. As i mentioned in a earlier post zen has invincible startup frames. So if someone starts blowing up your gaps with armour, you cancel into zen~3 db4 for your combo punish. Works for all his gap strings with exception of some things for F23 as some ex moves with faster frames will still stuff it. (an exslide will still stuff it. Reptiles exslide will also stuff ALL gaps regardless. Also all xrays will comeplety beat out the zen if you cancel your string into zen~3 but you can zen and roll behind them and whiff punish that way. Some xrays completely negate zen altogether ) so far ive tested this on a couple of characters

Last edited:

omooba

fear the moobs
I'm going to a tournament this Saturday in Orlando and plan on using all Drunken Master the whole way through. If you guys want to watch and give me tips or even just watch to learn I'll let you know what the stream link is.

I'm having alot of fun with this character but I don't feel completely comfortable yet and I know I have a lot to learn
with dm you will get mopped lol jk
also what's the stream link?
really feel like he's a high risk mid to low reward character. but the thrill of the reward feels like crack so it's worth it

Percimon

Sky above, Voice within
I'm going to a tournament this Saturday in Orlando and plan on using all Drunken Master the whole way through. If you guys want to watch and give me tips or even just watch to learn I'll let you know what the stream link is.

I'm having alot of fun with this character but I don't feel completely comfortable yet and I know I have a lot to learn
Here's all stuff what I found for now:

1) Rolls from Meditate makes unsafe moves safe:
It works with mid projectiles too.

2) OTG (works fine after f1; 21)

3) Meterless combos (I think you've already seen part of them):
Also, you can use dd1 twice after opponent get stunned by db4

4) Armor crush setup in the corner:
It doesn't work with Kung Lao's ex-spin and specials with the same start-up.

5) You can go into Meditate special without using dd1 with help of b4->hold "down". And then you can do roll, so it makes b4 safe on block.

6) Best AA's are: d2 or 4

7) Fastest punishing normals: f1, 3, b1, 2.

I think, I'll upload smth else untill Saturday :)

Last edited:

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie

King!! Hows your wrist bud?