What's new

Question Why doesn't Sektor get more love?

If someone asked me who is the most downplayed character in the entire game, I would instantly say Sektor.

The top tiers nowadays are considered to the Kabals, Kenshis, Sonyas, Cyraxs. One of the reasons is that they're all considered "complete", as I like to call it. These characters (mostly) have one crucial thing in common; they're all capable at rushdown, zoning, pressure, mixups, and high damage.

Then there's Sektor. He's a capable zoner who has a fast projectile which causes knockdown. His up missles can be controlled making it a maze to get to him and can hitconfirmed into a damaging combo, whether close or afar. The upmissle also leads to a lot of tricky set ups in the corner and midscreen (something that Shang Tsung swears by in his game) His enhanced upmissle is just...dirty. His flame is like Kenshi's spirit charge, just slower, has pushback, but is a MUCH better anti-air (imo).

He has a teleport which, if used thoughtfully, can shut down a lot of zoners and can be done in the air. From my personal experience, it is hard to cross up Sektor as compared to say, Kenshi, since his wake up teleport seems to negate that. His enhanced teleport is safeish, leads to massive damage, and is a pretty good wake up option. He can land 30-40+ percent damage + a missle setup from simply kicking you in the air (repeat that out loud).

Sektor is also a massive threat up close, like almost all the other top tiers. He has the fastest jab in the game, despite tiny arms. He has a low starter which leads to good damage and is a far-reaching safe string. He has an overhead which is unsafe to follow up but still leads to solid damage. He has a surplus of strings which one can get creative with in frustrating the opponent with. IN SHORT, he's a fast and tricky character, close or far. His hitbox doesn't seem to be huge, from my experience of trying to do Jax's F4 string on him, it whiffs.

All that is said and done, this is just a question to the community and I hope it leads to intelligent discussion. Why isn't this character in the pantheon of the top, top tiers? His overall qualities seem to be begging for him to be AT LEAST top 5 (in my opinion). Most high level players seem to agree with me that Sektor has an insane amount of potential. Why do I think he's so downplayed/used not as often? I feel everytime I fight Sektors online and off, he's supposed to be MUCH more threatening than he is.

I don't main him so if there is a hole in my praising of him or a glaring flaw about his game, please feel free to discuss.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
He doesn't have any armor, and he doesn't really have a safe way out of the corner. He's good, but he doesn't have anything retarded like the top 5.

Deity

Noob
He doesnt have anything that's super cheap like the other top tiers do. ie kung lao instant recovery whiff divekick, kabal igb, cyrax bs damage

NKZero

Noob
He doesn't have an abusable move without expending meter (homing missile), he has no armour, a poor wake-up game, holes in his up close game, a poor set of options for escaping the corner.

He's a very balanced and fair character but no where near the top tiers.

NKZero

Noob
I guess I'm just confusing balanced for cheap in what qualifies for absolute top tier. Hope one day a Sektor-tech storm comes along.
He's well balanced but he doesn't have an abusable move. Kabal has a variety of NDC's that give + frames on block or 'spamming' iaGB's. Kenshi has spirit charge and EX spirit charge. Sonya has a ridiculous D4-MS set-up or EX cartwheel. Lao has his teleport/cross up mix-ups. Sektor needs meter for the homing missile.

Even looking past that his MU numbers aren't as dominant but he still doesn't get really blown up i.e. 3-7 or worse by any character but perhaps 1. He's just solid. Top tier characters have dominant MU's and abusable moves.

Skitzo

Noob
He's well balanced but he doesn't have an abusable move. Kabal has a variety of NDC's that give + frames on block or 'spamming' iaGB's. Kenshi has spirit charge and EX spirit charge. Sonya has a ridiculous D4-MS set-up or EX cartwheel. Lao has his teleport/cross up mix-ups. Sektor needs meter for the homing missile.

Even looking past that his MU numbers aren't as dominant but he still doesn't get really blown up i.e. 3-7 or worse by any character but perhaps 1. He's just solid. Top tier characters have dominant MU's and abusable moves.
Isn't it two 3-7's? Kabal & Smoke?

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
The reason why he is only mid tier IS because he is "balanced" and "well rounded". Nothing stands out about him and he has no armor to top off the cake.

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
Give him instant air missiles that are plus on block lol.

But seriously, he needs a better ex projectiles. Ex-missile and ex-flamethrower are ass. One of them should be buffed. Ex flamethrower should put Sektor in a hovering position (like the animation when you switch him out in tag team), and can either lead to a midair flamethrower, teleport uppercut, or can be cancelled leaving him back on the ground. The midair flamethrower should have hella knockback but be slightly minus on block.

Either that or make his 2 mid. Actually screw it...give him both, but no armor. Before people come in saying that "Sektor is balanced, he doesn't need to be buffed blah blah blah", just remember that almost everyone needs buffs to compete with Kabal, Lao, and Cyrax.

redeyes

Button Masher
Give him instant air missiles that are plus on block lol.

But seriously, he needs a better ex projectiles. Ex-missile and ex-flamethrower are ass. One of them should be buffed. Ex flamethrower should put Sektor in a hovering position (like the animation when you switch him out in tag team), and can either lead to a midair flamethrower, teleport uppercut, or can be cancelled leaving him back on the ground. The midair flamethrower should have hella knockback but be slightly minus on block.

Either that or make his 2 mid. Before people come in saying that "Sektor is balanced, he doesn't need to be buffed blah blah blah", just remember that almost everyone needs buffs to compete with Kabal Lao and Cyrax.
sektor is fine. he is a balanced character! he needs no buffs or nerfs leave him be!
want to beat kabal lao or xyrax with him? put in work and do it. you can win any match as long as you put in the work and make good reads & reactions. were not robots who never screw up were humans who screw up play unsafe and drop things.

CYracks

Command Grabber
Sektor just needs armor on his EX-teleport then he'd be much better. Same thing with Ermac he needs scorpions EX-teleport (armor and safe on block). These characters get raped if they get knocked down.

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
sektor is fine. he is a balanced character! he needs no buffs or nerfs leave him be!
want to beat kabal lao or xyrax with him? put in work and do it. you can win any match as long as you put in the work and make good reads & reactions. were not robots who never screw up were humans who screw up play unsafe and drop things.
I thought this thread was called why doesn't sektor get more love not why don't I get more love. Ok I'll compromise with you...Sektor's TU should hit Kabal when he saws. It's complete horseshit the way it is now.

ryublaze

Noob
Sektor lacks a fast overhead and his standing 1 hits high (would be broken IMO if it hit mid). His up missiles are okay but not as good as Shang's zoning. Homing missile, while good, can be avoided causing u to waste meter if not used correctly. His wake-up game sucks and he doesn't have armor (his 6 frame jab makes up for that to get out of pressure). Flame thrower isn't as good as spirit charge because it doesn't knock them fullscreen.

Like others have said, Sektor's balanced and probably the most balanced character in the game. and about that Sektor "tech-storm" it's really hard to find new tech for him nowadays. I've been trying to find new stuff with him ever since I mained him (he was my 1st main) but never really could find anything bs like Kabal's nomad phase lol.