What's new

What was the WORST MK trailer?

AtlasM

Into dust!
Premium Supporter

See, to me- NOTHING beats the mk9 Kratos trailer, but i've been thinking; what is the WORST Mk trailer? Any game?

Me personally, after a first viewing, i hated MK11's first trailer. That music was just the wrong pick. Not even the fact it was rap or anything, it just did not fit in with the hype of Dark Raiden Vs Scorpion.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Although I loved the atmosphere of it, MK4's trailer is just short clips of actors cosplaying mk characters, running in the dark or something - it doesnt really show anything of the game itself. I'm biased as well, as MK4 (barring the atrocity that was MKSF) is probably my least favorite MK.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I think live action trailers for video games are all bad. Or I guess not bad just don't really hype the game. I think nothing beats the trailers for MK11.

The worst trailer for the franchise overall? Some of the commercials for Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on SNES and Genesis were pretty bad, as I recall.

The only trailer I remember good or bad is the MK11 Old School vs. New School trailer, which to this day is incredible:

I love that trailer. When I first saw it, I thought they were bringing in the versions of the characters from the original timeline, not from Mortal Kombat (2011). While I'm sad that didn't happen, still a great trailer.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Not the worst trailer by a mile, actually one of the best, just something I wanted point out as shitty was MKX's Kung Lao and Kitana trailer. In it, they sped the gameplay up to make the game seem even faster than it actually was. If you listen to the actual in game voices during the gameplay segments you can hear how even the audio is pitched up. Little misleading

Not the worst trailer by a mile, actually one of the best, just something I wanted point out as shitty was MKX's Kung Lao and Kitana trailer. In it, they sped the gameplay up to make the game seem even faster than it actually was. If you listen to the actual in game voices during the gameplay segments you can hear how even the audio is pitched up. Little misleading
Still loved that trailer too. It absolutely built hype.

Interesting. MK1, MK2, Mythologies and even MK4 has a ton of cheesy liveaction 90s charm. But compared to all of those I think MK3 is pretty lame with its tv trailers. For example:

I hope they paid the cameraguy well for those wacky zoom-ins

MK9's live action fatality lives trailer is also up there for me. Y'know with the actors pretending to be dudebros playing videogames.
It's kinda kringe with a capital K.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Still loved that trailer too. It absolutely built hype.
Oh for sure its one of the best. It helps that it also came after almost a 6 month drought of literally no news at all. People were legit making articles asking if MKX was cancelled, then they dropped that sick ass trailer with the Goro teaser at the end :eek:

Art Lean

Noob
Sorry, I know it's the complete opposite of what you asked, but because I don't feel it gets enough credit, especially for a pretty awful game, can I just say I love this advert:

MK Mythologies (like a Nine Inch Nails music video - this guy should have directed the FMV):

There was also a fantastic Special Forces early preview with a live action Kerri Hoskins dressed as Sonya, tightening her headband etc, but seems to have disappeared, does anyone have that? :(

Reactions: ded

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Interesting. MK1, MK2, Mythologies and even MK4 has a ton of cheesy liveaction 90s charm. But compared to all of those I think MK3 is pretty lame with its tv trailers. For example:

I hope they paid the cameraguy well for those wacky zoom-ins

MK9's live action fatality lives trailer is also up there for me. Y'know with the actors pretending to be dudebros playing videogames.
It's kinda kringe with a capital K.
Parkinson's awareness my guy.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
For sheer lying, false advertising, and undeserved hype that I'm still prepared to be genuinely pissed about every day at the drop of a hat? MK11 Kitana vs. D'Vorah trailer. It used a ton of content for two characters who were irreversibly DESTROYED by the day 1 patch beyond recognition. I'd argue neither recovered from that patch for the entirety of MK11's lifespan, especially Kitana fan combos and... all of D'Vorah's kit.

Absolute trash and I cannot believe it was allowed to air when the balance patch was on the very soon horizon alongside release. Fucking unacceptable.

For the trailer in a vacuum on its own? Absolutely MK4. It's a fever dream where you cant really tell what's going on, and the live action stuff was cringey from the start (let alone by today's standards).

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I remember people not being very excited by the armored characters in one of the original INJ2 trailers.