What's new

What is the legacy that Injustice: GAU leaves behind?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Mortal Kombat X is less than two months away. The community is excited. Injustice: GAU at Winter Brawl 9, arguably the last relevant stop for the game, has just finished. The only questions remains, what is the legacy that Injustice: GAU leaves behind? How will you remember the game one, two, or three years from now on? Excellent game? Good game? Mediocre game? Terrible game? Reflect on your own experience and give your "finalized" opinion of the game.

My opinion...

Injustice: GAU is without a doubt a more polished fighting game than Mortal Kombat 9. The meter drain glitch was removed. So were the broken blocking mechanics. So was the input bug, which, unfortunately, still exists under the regular control scheme. Defensive options have been improved, perhaps more so than necessary as some people would argue. The downfall of Injustice: GAU is the safe and meterless 50/50 mix up that loops into itself. I would argue that this poor gameplay design immensely simplifies the gameplay. The superior player in terms of the basic fundamentals of a fighting game - reaction, execution, and footsies - no longer wins. The player who guesses the most correctly does. I would also argue that the safe and meterless 50/50 mix up has also permitted some good players to become great by consistently placing top 8 or even winning major tournaments. NRS, please, keep safe and meterless 50/50 mix ups as far away from Mortal Kombat X as possible. Likewise, keep dominant instant aerial projectiles and safe teleports away from the game too. Thanks.

For me, Injustice was my first big step into the FGC. It was the first fighting game I actually put time into and even now I'm still learning a few things here and there. Just recently though, I developed this respect for the game. I used to rage quit quite a bit, but I realize now that sometimes you have to get your ass kicked a lot before you can better yourself as a player. With MKX, I'll take my first step into the tournament scene and I'm really excited for that.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Left a legacy that you don't have to win tournaments to become somebody.
You just have to predict every patch result for the next year within the first month, have them all relate to the worst character, and post some movie quote remixes while developing 135 videos of gimmicks while only making 3 actual pieces of tech.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Injustice is a really good game. A few little tweaks here and there & it could be a great game (e.g - better netcode, less safe & meterless vortexes, faster walkspeeds etc...). I'll still be playing it for many years to come.

Also, it'll always hold a special place in my heart because it has Based Dick Grayson <3.

TBH both MK9 and IGAU had their pros and cons. After going through playing injustice, I must say that it wasn't a bad game by any means and it definitely was hype at tournaments. Mortal Kombat 9 is still more fun for me and that is not surprising because it is my favorite fighting game period. I like the DC characters and stuff, but the MK characters are just way more interesting to me overall. I actually would have loved a UMK9 with a patch and like 4 new characters over having injustice but that matters not because MKX is out and i can't wait to play the new version of my favorite fighting game. Also which game had more balance? tbh it just depends on ur opinion because I say both had equal balance issues in their own way but that is all fighting games tbh so that doesn't really matter :p. P.S. Hopefully injustice 2 (which i'm sure will be made) has darkseid, static shock, starfire. If those 3 are in then I will love that game even more than injustice one haha.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think he's talking about a fox. That also likes sonic the hedgehog.
he labled it as the game so deserves the blow up. how many characters have the safe vortexing METERLESS 50/50's that loop?

kf needs meter, zatanna needs meter dafuq? also didn't bee just punish fox (one of the first times seen in tourny) for one of his options. safe?

so this mechanic defines the entire game? I am not seeing it

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
KDZ won evo because of 50/50 loops that were safe? THEO won his tournaments because of 50/50 loops and vortex's? Jupiter just vortex'd his way to KIT champion? I am not seeing it.
lel, one thing is not like the other here...

Kdz won with the best character in any version of the game that didn't have an infinite.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
TBH both MK9 and IGAU had their pros and cons. After going through playing injustice, I must say that it wasn't a bad game by any means and it definitely was hype at tournaments. Mortal Kombat 9 is still more fun for me and that is not surprising because it is my favorite fighting game period. I like the DC characters and stuff, but the MK characters are just way more interesting to me overall. I actually would have loved a UMK9 with a patch and like 4 new characters over having injustice but that matters not because MKX is out and i can't wait to play the new version of my favorite fighting game. Also which game had more balance? tbh it just depends on ur opinion because I say both had equal balance issues in their own way but that is all fighting games tbh so that doesn't really matter :p. P.S. Hopefully injustice 2 (which i'm sure will be made) has darkseid, static shock, starfire. If those 3 are in then I will love that game even more than injustice one haha.
They start production on the next game as soon as this one is released right? I wonder what they have in store. Midway had some games that could be remade.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
KDZ won evo because of 50/50 loops that were safe? THEO won his tournaments because of 50/50 loops and vortex's? Jupiter just vortex'd his way to KIT champion? I am not seeing it.
I know you saw Grand Finals today. It can be argued that Honeybee clearly outplayed SonicFox but "guessed wrong too many times" on those safe 50/50 loops that cost him the tourney.

Not saying all those guys you named, Fox, Honeybee or any top player wouldn't be great regardless, but I am saying that those "safe 50/50 easy as cake" to perform loops can change the outcome of matches. It really bothers me not just being on the receiving end, but watching two of the best players in this game have a match decided because a guy guessed wrong high or low 3x in a row n then 2x in a row which took most of his life. Really sucked.

I've played fighting games for such a long time and I understand mixups in fighters. MvC has touch of death combos. I get it. But the Frost, Batgirl, Sinestro type loops need to forever stay away from MKX. It's just my opinion, but matches should never be decided because a guy is stuck in an indefinite loop of guessing. It's the one thing I truly hate about a game I love.

so kdz won winterbrawl last year with the best character in that version of the game post patch?
obviously injustice aint just 50/50 land, characters like aquaman and zod are very good for other reasons. The same can be said for mk9 with characters with great armor (kenshi and sonya mainly) had that as a strong suit then u had characters like cyrax and lao who were super good for other reasons. Conclusion: we can all complain forever about a character or things that are OP, but that is fighting games and we have to just deal with those things cuz they will never change. A positive we can look at is that NRS games now are no where near as messed up as older NRS games (MKD, MK v DC, etc.)

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I know you saw Grand Finals today. It can be argued that Honeybee clearly outplayed SonicFox but "guessed wrong too many times" on those safe 50/50 loops that cost him the tourney.

Not saying all those guys you named, Fox, Honeybee or any top player wouldn't be great regardless, but I am saying that those "safe 50/50 easy as cake" to perform loops can change the outcome of matches. It really bothers me not just being on the receiving end, but watching two of the best players in this game have a match decided because a guy guessed wrong high or low 3x in a row n then 2x in a row which took most of his life. Really sucked.

I've played fighting games for such a long time and I understand mixups in fighters. MvC has touch of death combos. I get it. But the Frost, Batgirl, Sinestro type loops need to forever stay away from MKX. It's just my opinion, but matches should never be decided because a guy is stuck in an indefinite loop of guessing. It's the one thing I truly hate about a game I love.
I saw honeybee lose the tournament when he knocked fox down in the corner, dashed up and input d1, 2 to beat batgirls wake up cartwheel. Wrong read, fox woke up with dp which cost him the tournament. Whats bullshit about that?

They start production on the next game as soon as this one is released right? I wonder what they have in store. Midway had some games that could be remade.
typically that is what they do. I wonder what they do have in store for their next game. I would love a new shaolin monks or a sub zero/scorpion team up game which would be hype. But i definitely expect injustice 2.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks

Totally agree. It's a fun game but it's too much about guessing. Scorpions vortex in mk9 was great because if you guessed right you could punish. That's how a vortex should work IMO.

Great presentation and smooth gameplay, but a flawed system. Was a lot of fun though. Says the Martian main.