What's new

Question - Kung Lao What Is His Best Variation Now?

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
It has 16 hit advantage lol. If you're on the offense they can't move after being hit by a low hat unless you use a slow button. If they block a low hat then it's their turn. Every character has to give up their turn eventually lol. If you wanna keep your turn then Lao can spend the bar on Ex straight hat for +4

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Lol alright and I know I was saying there really isn't a mixup. Tremors htb you always block low then overhead. Idk how to explain it. Cuz when Tremor does his htb starting with the low he has to do it like immediately on oki. That's how I block it anyways and it always works. When I get opened up is when he does the slow ass overhead cuz sometimes I'm just trash and not ready for it
let me explain it

Tremor can end a combo in the corner in 123~exUprock

he can then oki with B3[rock hits]~Overhead Punch

OR

he can not press B3 on immediate, and oki with B3 hitting immediately after the rock hits, like

[rock hits]B3~Overhead Punch

both give you the exact same combo, and you make the overhead or low come first and both times within a frame of each other

this is Tremor's HTB, the 50/50 part is largely irrelevant. if ur blocking it everytime your opponent is mistiming it

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
It doesn't jail on hit if using ex low hat because its a knockdown even on block is -1. Where you got that example from? @TheGangstaFace

Last edited:

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
It has 16 hit advantage lol. If you're on the offense they can't move after being hit by a low hat unless you use a slow button. If they block a low hat then it's their turn. Every character has to give up their turn eventually lol. If you wanna keep your turn then Lao can spend the bar on Ex straight hat for +4
All moves don't jail after low hat hit if the opponent backdash. Test it with a good backdasher.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Not really. Block low then overhead every time
i can easily do the overhead first and the low second, and i can get 30% or more of them, especially in the corner, just mix it up with either a ji3 takeda style or ji1, although if your midscreen you'll need to follow the jik up with a dive kick.

TheGangstaFace

i can easily do the overhead first and the low second, and i can get 30% or more of them, especially in the corner, just mix it up with either a ji3 takeda style or ji1, although if your midscreen you'll need to follow the jik up with a dive kick.
What exactly are you doing? I don't see anything where you go overhead then low htb for a full combo. Ex Upward hat doesn't combo unless it catches someone in the air. If you do a jump attack that's not even a htb and it's reactable. And if you do 44 before the low hat, you can't combo

TheGangstaFace

All moves don't jail after low hat hit if the opponent backdash. Test it with a good backdasher.
Interesting I never knew that. They def can't jump though. But F2 still jails 100% after low hat. Also a lot of the times if i connect low hat mid screen on my offense i like to throw another low hat to check them. I think i DID know they could backdash but i just never think of it lol. If you're getting enough respect, most of the time they won't move and they'll respect the hit advantage.

Also I was talking about Ex Straight Hat for plus frames. Not the low hat

TheGangstaFace

let me explain it

Tremor can end a combo in the corner in 123~exUprock

he can then oki with B3[rock hits]~Overhead Punch

OR

he can not press B3 on immediate, and oki with B3 hitting immediately after the rock hits, like

[rock hits]B3~Overhead Punch

both give you the exact same combo, and you make the overhead or low come first and both times within a frame of each other

this is Tremor's HTB, the 50/50 part is largely irrelevant. if ur blocking it everytime your opponent is mistiming it
Yeah I see what you mean, I'm saying for them to do the low before uprock hits they have to do it immediately on oki. I guess you could call it a fuzzy. I'm not saying wait for the low then block high. I'm just saying it's block low then high then low

God Confirm

Yeah I see what you mean, I'm saying for them to do the low before uprock hits they have to do it immediately on oki. I guess you could call it a fuzzy. I'm not saying wait for the low then block high. I'm just saying it's block low then high then low
so this is a fuzzy cause you gunna fuzzy a 1 frame HTB 50/50 ?

by this definition... what DOES count as a htb man. They must literally not exist with all these every growing conditions you put on them to count as a HTB

omooba

fear the moobs
My bad, I know what a htb is, I just don't think there's relevance to it if you just lab the shit.
assuming you can make the gab between overhead and low 1 or 2 frames nobody is blocking that everytime because even the best players in the world drop 1 frame combos

TheGangstaFace

so this is a fuzzy cause you gunna fuzzy a 1 frame HTB 50/50 ?

by this definition... what DOES count as a htb man. They must literally not exist with all these every growing conditions you put on them to count as a HTB
I'm confused. Where did I say this wasn't a htb? You're putting words in my mouth. If you're referring to what I said earlier in the post initially I said "my bad, I know what a htb is I just think there's no relevance to it if you just lab the shit" which is how I feel about Tremors. I did not say Tremor doesn't have a htb

omooba

fear the moobs
Blocking and combo links are completely different
dude i'm talking links where you basically time 1 button and a specific point. how any people here can consistenly link ermac's f4/b3 into teleport 100% and that's nothing close to a 1 frame link. and the best ermac i know(big d) still drops it. and you're saying bruh just lab it and you're fine. wasn't cyber sub's most used htb off b3 always an overhead and then low but people still got hit by it. Even sonic got hit by cyrax's b3d4 into bomb.
saying labbing a htb stops you from getting hit by it is not and never will be a thing.

TheGangstaFace

dude i'm talking links where you basically time 1 button and a specific point. how any people here can consistenly link ermac's f4/b3 into teleport 100% and that's nothing close to a 1 frame link. and the best ermac i know(big d) still drops it. and you're saying bruh just lab it and you're fine. wasn't cyber sub's most used htb off b3 always an overhead and then low but people still got hit by it. Even sonic got hit by cyrax's b3d4 into bomb.
saying labbing a htb stops you from getting hit by it is not and never will be a thing.
Yeah true. Guess you're right

TheGangstaFace

But back on topic, I believe that mentioning Buzzsaw's Htb's for why the variation is good isn't really anything to make a big deal out of. Imo it's nearly irrelevant. He doesn't have any real setups for it, you have to spend a bar, and to launch with it you have to go low then overhead except for the jumping one. Also @Invincible Salads i just realized what you were saying (blaming it on being late and tired as shit last night lol). That's probably his best one but again none of the setups are real

God Confirm

I'm confused. Where did I say this wasn't a htb? You're putting words in my mouth. If you're referring to what I said earlier in the post initially I said "my bad, I know what a htb is I just think there's no relevance to it if you just lab the shit" which is how I feel about Tremors. I did not say Tremor doesn't have a htb
"If you get hit by Tremors htb for instance, youre bad. That link is tight af and I block it every time."

there is not a whole of consistency or logic to anything that you are saying

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
So do u guys here have any other reasons for spending a bar for MB Hat? I only use MB Hat to convert into combo such as B321 ExHat.... Because sometimes i find it hard to do Instant Dive Kick after B321 Normal Hat and i want to close the round instantly. Yesterday i used Buzz Saw vs Ronin and my friend only had 2% of health so after being knocked down he delayed wake up, i set up the Ex Low Hat on the ground waiting him to wake up for guarantee death =))) Or i MB Hat for plus frame and keeping the turn for pressure. But the idea of setting up the Buzz Saw in a round.... i think it's quite useless because the opponent can avoid it easily :|

Last edited:

TheGangstaFace

So do u guys here have any other reasons for spending a bar for MB Hat? I only use MB Hat to convert into combo such as B321 ExHat.... Because sometimes i find it hard to do Instant Dive Kick after B321 Normal Hat and i want to close the round instantly. Yesterday i used Buzz Saw vs Ronin and my friend only had 2% of health so after being knocked down he delayed wake up, i set up the Ex Low Hat on the ground waiting him to wake up for guarantee death =))) Or i MB Hat for plus frame and keeping the turn for pressure. But the idea of setting up the Buzz Saw in a round.... i think it's quite useless because the opponent can avoid it easily :|
I convert meterless. I only spend the bar for the plus frames or for the extra damage to finish someone off after B321

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
I convert meterless. I only spend the bar for the plus frames or for the extra damage to finish someone off after B321
Oh my days i'm practicing that Instant Dive Kick, i can do it better now but still inconsistent especially when i compete to someone, i feel that the timing of Instant Dive Kick between B321 and B22 is different. Do you have any special tips to do it consistently?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
TBH +TheGangstaFace I found the HTB timing to be annoyingly strict and it's unlikely that I do many if any "low first" up rock setups. I mean I try, but I'll probably just get a same frame at best in an actual match. I'm just happy to continue pressure, I'll let you guys blocking worry about how to block it lol.