What's new

What Happened, NRS?!

So I’m gonna say it…
At THIS point this game is not very good. For the first time I feel ripped off by a MK/NRS game as far as what we were given.
Every other MK and IJ game I’ve been able to play for a long while and not get bored.

I don’t know if they were pushed to release this too early, or if it’s a marketing thing to slow trickle everything and charge along the way, or what but this game is SEVERELY lacking.
Yes the mechanics are good, which is core, but even with that.. 23 characters? Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s the least we’ve started with since MK9, AND you had two fully developed characters that you sidelined (Quan chi and Ermac) to later sell as DLC instead. We barely started with any skins, palette varieties, and almost know character gear variation because again presumably we will have to pay for them in the future. They slow trickle the DLC which normally would be ok but its somewhat frustrating given the lack of content to begin with. Invasions is fun for about 3-4 days until everything is unlocked (sure it’ll be the same for season 2). You’re not even releasing costume packs with the DLC like in the past. Hell, even as far as Kombat Kasts we had what, 3 leading up to launch?? 1 being on the music behind the game?!
Either NRS has been handcuffed by WB which is and will ruin this franchise, NRS has gotten EXTREMELY greedy and cares more about money than fandom and delivering a good product (don’t even want to mention the $10 pumpkin fatality here…) or they as a company were set WAY back because of Covid.
Either way, I can’t help but feel somewhat disappointed in this game thus far. Hopefully, by the end of everything, this game will be everything I wanted it to be (tons of characters and variety, mini games, hidden lore and content, replayability, etc) but who knows how long (years?!) and how much money that will cost in the end.
Rant over.

What really bothers me is that long before release Boon was hyping up the game saying the unusually long wait between games will for sure make sense once we see the next game. As if it's this massive overhaul of a game, but instead we get MK1 which was absolutely rushed to an insane degree. Bugs, lack of content and lack of very basic features galore.

The gameplay itself is great tho, and that is what matters at the end of the day. However with the direction they took with this latest patch (nerf everything, buff nothing) while very needed it worries me for the future of this game. I don't want another watered down MK11. That and they never communicate if they will ever improve the quality of online. I love this game but I can't ignore the red flags.

Fatality o

Cigretts PSN
This is the best game they’ve released since MKX or even MK9 gameplay wise. Single player offline is lacking but I expect that in the next 6 months to a year this game will be fleshed out as it should have been at launch.

But I do agree WB has this franchise by the balls right now and is going to squeeze all the money they can out of it with micro transactions. It’s like they put all the worst palettes they could think of on disc and are gonna charge real fucking money for any decent colours or skins. The greed of inevitably selling us the goddamn skins from the story is criminal.

G82Boost

I Play Raiden
So I’m gonna say it…
At THIS point this game is not very good. For the first time I feel ripped off by a MK/NRS game as far as what we were given.
Every other MK and IJ game I’ve been able to play for a long while and not get bored.

I don’t know if they were pushed to release this too early, or if it’s a marketing thing to slow trickle everything and charge along the way, or what but this game is SEVERELY lacking.
Yes the mechanics are good, which is core, but even with that.. 23 characters? Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s the least we’ve started with since MK9, AND you had two fully developed characters that you sidelined (Quan chi and Ermac) to later sell as DLC instead. We barely started with any skins, palette varieties, and almost know character gear variation because again presumably we will have to pay for them in the future. They slow trickle the DLC which normally would be ok but its somewhat frustrating given the lack of content to begin with. Invasions is fun for about 3-4 days until everything is unlocked (sure it’ll be the same for season 2). You’re not even releasing costume packs with the DLC like in the past. Hell, even as far as Kombat Kasts we had what, 3 leading up to launch?? 1 being on the music behind the game?!
Either NRS has been handcuffed by WB which is and will ruin this franchise, NRS has gotten EXTREMELY greedy and cares more about money than fandom and delivering a good product (don’t even want to mention the $10 pumpkin fatality here…) or they as a company were set WAY back because of Covid.
Either way, I can’t help but feel somewhat disappointed in this game thus far. Hopefully, by the end of everything, this game will be everything I wanted it to be (tons of characters and variety, mini games, hidden lore and content, replayability, etc) but who knows how long (years?!) and how much money that will cost in the end.
Rant over.
Ermac and quan are not fleshed out in the slightest you can play with the both of them on pc. Quan is just Shang's moveset from 11 with his rune and skull, and Ermac is just Noob's with life

Remember the days of MKDA when they krypt actually had funny shit and videos instead of boringggg ass concept art
Yeah! That’s what I’m saying, even the original krypts were cool as far as odd and interesting unlocks. I personally thought mk11 krypt was phenomenal as far as plenty of stuff to do, A LOT of hidden lore stuff, and actual loot worth getting. Invasions has(had?) the potential to expand on that if they would have done it in a Konquest open style or at the least, given it a story or something to go with it and add a bunch of quirky fights and challenges like the mk9 tower. Hell story line would have been cool (more than the 2-3 cutscenes we get per season). I feel like the held the storyline to instead release on this new mobile MK Onslaught thing (weird another money grab)

everything in this game feels like a step backwards (minus the mechanics) and a dirty money grab..
Cool krypt in the form of shangs island? Here’s a very plain and boring invasions mode where Really the unlockable stuff comes from just grinding character mastery…
Lots of gear and customization in 11? Here’s ONE customizable thing per character…
Lots of cool skins and pallete variety? AND we have the potential to be super awesome and roll that over to kameos? Nah we’re going to give you 2 skins per character and only give you one color scheme per season until you get them all in about..5 years?
polished, bug free gameplay? Ha, try this…

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Say what you will about MK11 but it was a complete package of a game. It had way more online/offline stuff at launch than MK1. Even the cosmetics (costumes/gear) were miles better. The only thing that I like better about MK1 is the gameplay.

I mean, where are the costumes? The alternate costumes for 9 out of 10 characters are appaling to look at in MK1 and there are few of them. At least in MK11 you had a set of 6 or so costumes in different palettes and most characters had at least one or two dope alternates among them. And as Law Hero said, only one kameo has an alt lol. What's with the inconsistency?

The intro's/outro's were also way better in MK11. You could actually customize and skip them. Same with the Fatal Blows - they consisted of 3 parts (start, middle, ending) and seemed way more cinematic and higher quality.

I'd even say the graphics in MK11 were better, at the very least they were on par.

Lets not even talk about QoL stuff.

This game was obviously rushed

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Blame Zaslav/WB. Pushed out the door for a profit because Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League was ridiculed into a 2024 postponement.
yep .... this

also all the others DC movies that came before, as Black Adam, Flash, Shazam 2 etc, just flopped , so, WB lost a bunch of money, and so, they rushed up with MK1 release to fill that gap and regain some profit this year .....

so yeah, MK1 is a great game, but, with some minor annoying stuff half baked and a lot of disgusting micro transactions wrote all over it :eek:

it's just Zaslav fault, that creepy greedy bastard ..... :mad:

yep .... this

also all the others DC movies that came before, as Black Adam, Flash, Shazam 2 etc, just flopped , so, WB lost a bunch of money, and so, they rushed up with MK1 release to fill that gap and regain some profit this year .....

so yeah, MK1 is a great game, but, with some minor annoying stuff half baked and a lot of disgusting micro transactions wrote all over it :eek:

it's just Zaslav fault, that creepy greedy bastard ..... :mad:
See I can’t call it a “great game”
It has the potential to be a great game but the direction it’s going is disheartening

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Yeah. I have been debating on where to post my thoughts on the game but yes. It's really...bad. Or I guess i should say feels stale already. I feel like if we don't keep beating the dead horse though they are not gonna get it. the best thing people can do is let the numbers tell them. Most if not all the fatalities are really stupid. and sometimes the victory poses take as long as them.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I hate complaining about this game but to me, the game has a great mechanic and awesome roster (best ever), but then it falls away. It does not have the same kind of love / fan service as a game like SF6. That game has an amazing amount of content and it is clear that ie was made with care.

At the moment, apart from online, you have a frustrating, repetitive and boring invasion mode and a story mode that you play once - that is it. Games are offering more these days. In addition to this, there is ridiculous paid content like the haloween fatalities.

Unfortunately, now the game is out and most people have purchased there copies, there is no impetus to offer any extra content / modes.

I hate complaining about this game but to me, the game has a great mechanic and awesome roster (best ever), but then it falls away. It does not have the same kind of love / fan service as a game like SF6. That game has an amazing amount of content and it is clear that ie was made with care.

At the moment, apart from online, you have a frustrating, repetitive and boring invasion mode and a story mode that you play once - that is it. Games are offering more these days. In addition to this, there is ridiculous paid content like the haloween fatalities.

Unfortunately, now the game is out and most people have purchased there copies, there is no impetus to offer any extra content / modes.
It’s bad that I’m already ready for the next one, albeit more hesitant as to the next NRS game...
maybe MK will take a page out of the Spider-Man movies and just keep rebooting until they finally nail it

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it here again: the gameplay is GODLIKE. I play the worst character in the game (Sub), and I'm still having so much fun online. As far as competitive fighting game aspects go, NRS fucking nailed it with this one.

BUT... then you look at it as a video game in general. That's where it all falls apart. This game costs $70. Are you getting the same value for your $70 as you are for the like 20 other game-of-the-year candidates that came out this year? Absolutely not. Zelda, Spider-Man, Baldur's Gate, the list goes on and on. I agree with other people that WB rushed this game out the door, and I'm still loving it... but can't help but feel a little disappointed with it as a game overall :(

xRantex

Rante Inferno
The gameplay is cool but if I had to complain…
  • Lack of cameo costumes
  • Invasions is boring as hell
  • Can’t think of the name, but the thing that takes the place of the krypt sucks with all the concept they have. Like, who the **** cares?
This but I'll have to add a 4th one

4. Practice mode always having to press start and look at move commands is annoying.

5. I don't like this new 3/5 bs in ranked. I noticed at EVO it was the same way I think it's ridiculous. Tournament 3/5 is not as annoying vs constantly doing them online in ranked.

I'm still shocked that, other than Sonya, kameos don't have any alternate outfits. Absolutely massive WTF.
That's cuz her, like Kano and Jax, are just an MK11 Nostalgia kostume pack that NRS never got around to releasing. They just had 2 in the pack for Sonya. Yeah it's a conspiracy theory but I'm so sure this game was rushed and changed into MK1 halfway through development that I'm going with it and doubling down.

Agilaz

It has begun
Feature-wise its def barren but gameplay wise it's hands down the best entry so far.

Sucks for people who want more SP focused content, but if you're into playing many people in long sets, i think MK1 is absolutely delivering