What's new

Unpopular Opinion : This entire website needs to be taken down and rebuilt anew.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think this entire website needs to be deleted, archived or whatever, and then rebuilt a new. Remove a ton of the "features" no one uses, remove all the automatic embedding and cull the massive database and these billion of forums.

We could keep the old site on a sub link ... like "old.testyoutmight.com" but build a new site.. one that actually works. 1/2 the time I post it times out, the other 1/2 it posts the post 2 or 3 times. It is slow.. super slow. The site often dose not even load.

We all know forums are less popular.. the ONE this the site needs to be to exist at all, is fast and allow you to quickly post stuff.

With MK1, this is a great time to do this as well.

So yeah... Close this site... put up a new one with a minimal install... and then add stuff as we need. This needs to be done at some point... why not now?

(lol... it posted this thread twice!)

Last edited:

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
If i'm understanding you correctly, is the main problem you're running into your posts timing out and the website being slow, with disabling unused features being a suggestion on how to make the site faster?

Jynks

1/2 the time the site dose not even load and I get an error message from the host... (next time I'll screenshot it)....

I do think disabling some of the things causing load on the site like auto embedding of content, the live stream things, and other stuff, as well as a mass culling and optimisation of the database... would help... this site is the results of years and years of adding features on a whim... it must be a shit show behind the scenes (educated guess)

I know this might not be what other people thing, that is why I said "unpopular opinion'...

... But imo, if I ran this site. I would archive the entire thing to a url like "old2023.testyourmight.com", make a brand new forum using a modern bbs software, copy over the users and have a minimal amount of base forums (at least to start) and just rebuild the entire site form scratch in a new clean database

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
The site works and loads fine for me, maybe get better internet.

Idk how much it would cost to do that, but I would assume it's not cheap. Not to mention takes work. I know forums are a thing of the past, but making a new site isn't the play. I think if anything, moving TYM to a discord server would be the smarter thing to do. But I like forums, I like holding on to my boomer ways, and it's only going to get more active during MK1's 4 month release window.

Jynks

My internet is fine... no issues but this place.... and I am not alone as I see double posts almost ever day on this site.

Mk9kevin

Sareena for MK11!
1/2 the time the site dose not even load and I get an error message from the host... (next time I'll screenshot it)....

I do think disabling some of the things causing load on the site like auto embedding of content, the live stream things, and other stuff, as well as a mass culling and optimisation of the database... would help... this site is the results of years and years of adding features on a whim... it must be a shit show behind the scenes (educated guess)

I know this might not be what other people thing, that is why I said "unpopular opinion'...

... But imo, if I ran this site. I would archive the entire thing to a url like "old2023.testyourmight.com", make a brand new forum using a modern bbs software, copy over the users and have a minimal amount of base forums (at least to start) and just rebuild the entire site form scratch in a new clean database
I personally don’t have any problems with TYM, and I’ve been lurking around since the MK9 days. I grew up with these kind of forums, and not just on MK forums too. If anything, TYM is a relic. Getting rid of it and starting over is… Drastic. I don’t think it’ll be the same.

Been here since 2010 and never had a problem NOT EVEN ONCE ... now I've to make new accounts lol but the site is amazing and with mk1 coming up it would be just dumb to "delete " and start new imo

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I can't say I have ever experienced that on my end.
However, in all the years of coming to this website, I only ever really used the most recent posts section and never went directly into the forum areas, so who knows.

Except the brief time I had to, to help Mod the Injustice 1 forums.
God damn that feels like a lifetime ago.

Art Lean

Noob
It always loads incredibly quick for me and I'm the other side of the Atlantic. Only issue I ever get is between around 7.15am and 7.30am GMT every day the server doesn't respond, but I've just got used to that, it's not much of an issue, I'm just procrastinating in bed before getting up for work anyway.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
But the site does work? I have a hard time finding a good reason why they should make a new website. Some things can be easily fixed with cleanups like old closed threads etc.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Only problems I’ve ever had is at like 2-3am EST the site can’t be accessed at least on my end. I think it’s some type of auto server maintenance or something? But that’s about it.

And yeah, people don’t realize how expensive this site is to run and it definitely doesn’t make anywhere close to enough money just to keep the site going on its own. If anything, I could see the site/forum closing down completely before I could see any sort of reboot. Unless some whale wants to invest a ton of money into it for some reason.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Only problems I’ve ever had is at like 2-3am EST the site can’t be accessed at least on my end. I think it’s some type of auto server maintenance or something? But that’s about it.

And yeah, people don’t realize how expensive this site is to run and it definitely doesn’t make anywhere close to enough money just to keep the site going on its own. If anything, I could see the site/forum closing down completely before I could see any sort of reboot. Unless some whale wants to invest a ton of money into it for some reason.
We've got plans in the works for some upcoming improvements, but yeah, the cost for any kind of upgrades is pretty staggering.

Act III

Noob
This forum is already niche. No one is going to join the new one lol. This sites current state is the best it'll be from here on out.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Storm did a upgrade a few years back when he was still owner and he needed to ask for donations to get it through. I'm happy that Robo has just even kept the site alive the past couple years tbh
Yeah, people don't realize the money aspect of it at all. And Robo does it for the love of the community. And then we get threads like these lol.

is there a Test Yout Might Discord ?
There isn't no.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I have used this site on multiple devices around the world (I'm in South America at the moment). The devices have been both public and private. I have never once had this problem - must be some setting you are using.