What's new

The timing on some of these attacks is so awkward.

Stchamps

PSN: SoaD_009
Wake up attacks never feel like working.

The specials after dial combos don't feel like working. No matter how much I practice in training mode the 1 1 2 grapple for batman doesn't feel like working. It's not just me having this problem I've seen plenty of other complaints of this in character combo threads. From what I've gathered it seems you have to input the special move right after the last command in the dial combo. This is so dumb because I have to basically commit to inputing the special move rather than hit confirming my way into the combo.

P.S. I detest stage interactions.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
From what I've gathered it seems you have to input the special move right after the last command in the dial combo. This is so dumb because I have to basically commit to inputing the special move rather than hit confirming my way into the combo.
This is correct. This is why hit confirms are very difficult in the MK engine. This may not be the game for you if it bothers you this much.

Stchamps

This is correct. This is why hit confirms are very difficult in the MK engine. This may not be the game for you if it bothers you this much.
In MK9 you have a much larger window to input the special move. You can wait until the very end of the last animation of the dial combo to input the special move.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
The combo system in this game is stupid for some characters, like Raven for one. I hate that strings canceled into a launcher are all dials, but then after that you hit confirm into the second dial. So you're doing dial special cancel -> hit confirm into second string -> dial that shit out, and that pattern repeats until the combo ends. It really is just a very awkward combo system, like... there's just no flow to it. Every hit confirm require an oddly specific timing to them and the cancel windows are really tight.

I know I'm doing something wrong but I agree with a lot of this thread right now. Especially shit like Ares' 112 xx d4 only working when it feels like it. I'm honestly completely baffled that they'd take this extremely-appealing-to-casuals-game and give it a combo system that requires so much attention to be paid to connecting everything... it's very possible to fuck up a combo by inputting shit too quickly and equally possible to fuck it up by inputting it too slowly. I haven't taken this game online yet but I can already tell I'm really going to hate playing anyone with a less than stellar connection.

Then again, maybe it's because I've been playing Soulcalibur for the last year and that game's execution requirements are set to "autistic chimp/aging hippie burnout."

PwnStar

Noob
Turn off negative edge in options (seriously) and enter your special cancel before the last normal comes out on your string. So if you have a 123 string, do the special slightly before the 3 starts. MK/Injustice is very weird since none of the cancels are real time before a certain point, you can only cancel in real time during the recovery of some moves, not during active or start up. So buffer everything early.

Turn off negative edge in options (seriously) and enter your special cancel before the last normal comes out on your string. So if you have a 123 string, do the special slightly before the 3 starts. MK/Injustice is very weird since none of the cancels are real time before a certain point, you can only cancel in real time during the recovery of some moves, not during active or start up. So buffer everything early.

wait, where do you turn off the negative edge?

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I really think execution barriers are going to limit a lot of people playing competitively and semi-competitively.

Some of these links are pretty damned tight, and people (myself included) who aren't used to it are probably going to struggle. I think it's going to be one of those games where either you're really good, or you're a button masher. Which is kind of cool, I think.

Komatose

The Prettiest
You can't give someone shit for calling out bad/awkward game design. I've learned to accept it, but MK/Injustice are known for an extremely awkward input system that takes getting used to. It goes against prestablished FG standards and is not natural. It's doable, but bad design is bad design.
A "bad design" is your opinion. They made something different and most of us love it. Watch, you guys are going to cry so much and have shit in this game changed so much it will probably not even be enjoyable anymore. It's like no one in the MKC is thankful for anything. It's really annoying.

You can't give someone shit for calling out bad/awkward game design. I've learned to accept it, but MK/Injustice are known for an extremely awkward input system that takes getting used to. It goes against prestablished FG standards and is not natural. It's doable, but bad design is bad design.
yes i can and im calling you out to. I don't think its any of those things about the design of the game. I don't think any respectable member of TYM does either.

PwnStar

Noob
...a control scheme that fights the players natural reactions for no benefit and forced execution barriers isn't good design, it's limiting. Play Soul Calibur, a similar system, but plays MUUUUUCH smoother in terms of inputs. The cancels and stricter times on certain moves line up with the animations better to give the player a better visual que, buffers are cleaner, moves are designed to either be ones you must commit or have lenient or delay cancel points to continue the string to add MUCH more depth.

So you can say opinion and I can point out why it's limited and the only real argument is that it's good because it emphasizes the games intended scope of forcing most strings to be commitments and not confirms.

A lot of the 'bad' design is around how the animations don't time with inputs, everything is buffered in what appears to be an arbitrary point in the animation. This is why adapting is hard. It's learnable, but works against the player for no reason. Has nothing to do with skill, it's just an unneeded obstacle that affects learning curve, not end game play.

Opinions backed with facts, career experience, and proven systems...call me out all you want :/

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
MK's combo system wasn't awkward. Just different. Like, most combos were just "do it really fast" and you were set. Injustice is more disjointed because the strings are all commitments but connecting strings in juggles is done through hit confirms, too early and the juggle is fucked, too late and the juggle is fucked. Whereas in MK, after the launch, you just input your followup immediately and it'll work.

I don't understand the logic behind committing to your strings, but having hit-confirms in the juggles the strings give you.

Glad to see no time was wasted in people dropping into this thread to put words in everybody's mouth though. No one is saying that this shit is too hard, just that it's wicked awkward.

PwnStar

Noob
Yeah it's learnable, it just makes it feel unnatural and harder to get used to. I had about 30 minutes of GL combos cursing the system, but I can do them all clean now. I still think it feels weird. My biggest issue is at tournaments I HAAAATE when I have to play MK then jump to another game because it completely throw off your timing.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Yeah it's learnable, it just makes it feel unnatural and harder to get used to. I had about 30 minutes of GL combos cursing the system, but I can do them all clean now. I still think it feels weird. My biggest issue is at tournaments I HAAAATE when I have to play MK then jump to another game because it completely throw off your timing.

I jump from MK to Marvel to Persona all the time, it hardly affects me. The movement speed is what threw me off at first but I'm already used to that.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Honestly, and I'm not calling anyone out, but MK/injustice's combo system is fine.

Maybe it's because I've always been an MK first FG player, but for me, after playing injustice for only a short while it was easy to get a feel for the flow of combat, just as it became easy to hit confirm specials in combos. I can't point to other FG conventions and see how this stacks up since I haven't gone deep into any others, but it doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal to me. Once a game goes into muscle memory and you get some causals in, the feel and timing just falls into place.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
It think its due to this game going the street fighter route and using links, not as strict as SF links, but def a sense of them it's like s hybrid off MKs combo chain and SF Links

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
It think its due to this game going the street fighter route and using links, not as strict as SF links, but def a sense of them it's like s hybrid off MKs combo chain and SF Links
I think so to, which is why I have very little simpathy. The system works, and it works well. If it was the same as SF or [enter game here] then it would be railed against for being a clone, rather than looked at as its own beast.

Stchamps

My negative edge is off. Anyways, as an above poster said, some combos literally feel like working when they want to. Raven users know what's going on. I can play a very high level Kabal in MK and nomad dash / instant air gas blast like a champ yet I'm probably 50/50 online with Raven's "F2 2 2 Singularity/Soul Crush" string.

PwnStar

Noob
Also there's a BIG difference between activating MB with 1+2+3 and a dedicated MB button. I prefer 1+2+3 since it frees up buttons and it feels closer to an EX input in SF, but it literally it requires a specific timing and an MB button does not. It makes no fuckin sense. Pick aquaman and just do Trident Rush. You can press MB at any time, but 1+2+3 must be activated very late into the animation.

:/

Stchamps

Also there's a BIG difference between activating MB with 1+2+3 and a dedicated MB button. I prefer 1+2+3 since it frees up buttons and it feels closer to an EX input in SF, but it literally it requires a specific timing and an MB button does not. It makes no fuckin sense. Pick aquaman and just do Trident Rush. You can press MB at any time, but 1+2+3 must be activated very late into the animation.

:/
Yep. That reminds me of grabbing with 1+3. You literally have to smash the buttons at the exact same time or an attack will come out.