What's new

The REAL Johnny Cage Match Up Chart

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Reo is so right. There is no such thing as 5.5-4.5. If something feels like a .5 disasdvantage label it 4-6. Realistacally all the MU Charts right now have 5-5, 6-4 and barely any 7-3s.

I know every1 have personal MU charts and my suggestion is if your character wins a MU 5.5-4.5 change it to 6-4 and if they win a MU 6-4 change it to 7-3. So you can reverse it for disadvan MUs such as losing 4.5-5.5 is really 4-6 and changing 4-6 to 3-7 etc.

I think thats the REAL way on labelling MUs in this game. I think if every1 did this method wed actually have accurate MU charts and tier lists.
people don't want to admit their character is ass. Admitting is the first step to recovery people.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I understand that Johnny Cage is a pressure character, but his pressure at the highest level is really ridiculous. Great Cage players can keep you in like glue. I think they should nerf the ex fireball trap or something. Cage is dumb. Anytime I see someone pick Cage, I go straight to sub zero because he rapes the majority of the cast. Cage pressure is so braindead.
They already nerfed F33 EN FB. That shit pre-patched was just as bad as Quan Chi's Rune Trap.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
I looked at this chart and laughed my ass off. 8-2 matchups? I guess every JC on the planet plays like curbo or something and the person playing him is on the same skill level.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
Tier lists are based on highest level up play. So yes, this is assuming that they are playing at Curbo level or equal/better.
but if no one is equal or better than curbo with certain characters than how can you just say its an 8-2 or 7-3. do even tell me f3 is that damn powerful. Im bout to stop playing cage now cause he is getting too much fame all of a sudden. Ive been using him since day 1 now all of a sudden he is a god. Thank you curbo for exposing my favorite character to everyone.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
but if no one is equal or better than curbo with certain characters than how can you just say its an 8-2 or 7-3. do even tell me f3 is that damn powerful. Im bout to stop playing cage now cause he is getting too much fame all of a sudden. Ive been using him since day 1 now all of a sudden he is a god. Thank you curbo for exposing my favorite character to everyone.
Tier lists are based off highest level of play. This is why some people don't really put too much thought into tier lists is because it is hard to determine where everyone's skill level is at. So if Curbo is using Cage and CDJr is using Jax, then the matchup chart indicates that Curbo will probably win more times than CDJr. Not saying it WILL happen but it probably SHOULD (assuming they are both playing at their characters highest level).

And also back when Chris G and Sabin were doing very well at every tournament (placing top 3 or 8 basically all the time) everyone was talking about Reptile being the best and people would accuse me of jumping on that bandwagon even though Reptile was my favorite character since MK2.

Tier lists are based off highest level of play. This is why some people don't really put too much thought into tier lists is because it is hard to determine where everyone's skill level is at. So if Curbo is using Cage and CDJr is using Jax, then the matchup chart indicates that Curbo will probably win more times than CDJr. Not saying it WILL happen but it probably SHOULD (assuming they are both playing at their characters highest level).

And also back when Chris G and Sabin were doing very well at every tournament (placing top 3 or 8 basically all the time) everyone was talking about Reptile being the best and people would accuse me of jumping on that bandwagon even though Reptile was my favorite character since MK2.
That's how I feel with Cage... my favorite MK character just HAD to be good in this game.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls

I get what you are saying with the high level but there should be no 8-2 matchups in this game at all. F3 is not the answer for JC problems. Thats pretty much saying shang's f4(10 frames) to gs(+2 on block) is his answer to keep pressure on. NRS, just patch some of these people so i can start using my man again.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Kabal, Kitana, Reptile, Sonya, Raiden, Smoke, Jax, Kung Lao, Kenshi, Freddy, Sektor, Cyrax, Mileena all characters who people couldn't stop crying over.

Now it's cage.

smh it's getting old
Cage really is ridiculous. The only saving grace is that only a handful of players know how to use him to its maximum potential. For the rest (me included) you just "zone" them.

Cage really is ridiculous. The only saving grace is that only a handful of players know how to use him to its maximum potential. For the rest (me included) you just "zone" them.
I like how after MLG, the cage wagon emerged.
Cage is really good, but not better than Kabal. Vs cage, it's all 100% footsie game.

only ones i have qualms with are kitana and sub zero

i feel like those are both 5-5's

and also i feel like jax is a 6-4 not a 7-3, he can gp cancel and duck or throw a projectile or even jump at mid range

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Why are so many people having trouble admitting there are 7-3 and even 8-2 match ups in this game?

You guys have to put MK9 in perspective: NRS hasn't had this kind of high-level quality assurance testing in over 15 years. MK9 is very well balanced for an MK game, but it's stupid saying the game is so well balanced that 7-3s or some 8-2 match-ups don't exist (dare I say, GASP, a 9-1?!??11). Some characters simply have a very difficult time against other characters. MK9 is like ST all over again in this respect, and ST is still being played competitively to this day.

In short, stop saying this game is completely balanced, because it isn't. It's balanced enough to be competitive, but not enough to say that terrible match-ups don't exist. The character balancing needs work, and you don't do NRS or the kommunity any favors by denying this.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
You know the JC downplaying era is over when even Zyphox has conceeded JC is top 10.
16bit pls
i conceeded like a man, respect it. but anyway my entire gripe was the fact that cage has to do more work in these match ups labeled 5-5, when i first got this game and started playing competitively (christmas) it was brought to my attention that the character who had to work harder was at disadvantage, i never downplayed JC, only that i refused to believe he has better tools and is a better character than said characters in my thread. JC is 10th now for me so don't get it twisted either...............16fans :16Bit

Why are so many people having trouble admitting there are 7-3 and even 8-2 match ups in this game?

You guys have to put MK9 in perspective: NRS hasn't had this kind of high-level quality assurance testing in over 15 years. MK9 is very well balanced for an MK game, but it's stupid saying the game is so well balanced that 7-3s or some 8-2 match-ups don't exist (dare I say, GASP, a 9-1?!??11). Some characters simply have a very difficult time against other characters. MK9 is like ST all over again in this respect, and ST is still being played competitively to this day.

In short, stop saying this game is completely balanced, because it isn't. It's balanced enough to be competitive, but not enough to say that terrible match-ups don't exist. The character balancing needs work, and you don't do NRS or the kommunity any favors by denying this.

then kabal jc is 7-3 i mean not only does cage have to consistently read armored dashes, he has to play the game of tryign to read either a buzzsaw throw overhead, or pressure attempt, or else hes stuck at square one again... not only that dash ducking hinders his footsie options and he has to consistently backdash at the right times or even do a predictive jump... this is whilst kabal is building shit tons of meter.

ZtrideRz

Noob
Time to face facts guys.

Cage is no different to the old kung lao. Glad the pros finally brought this too light.

Now its a fact of..

Hide your cursor.
(and with it your shame)
Pick Cage.

Is the enemy at full screen or mid screen?
Full screen? throw some green shit.

Dose he move?
No? keep throwing it.
Yes? Ex shadow kick

Is he at Midscreen?
PRO TACTIC F3 F3 F3 F3.

Build some bar?
Ex forceballs

Is he dead?
No? yes he is.
Yes? Now teabag him and ridicule his sexuality until he accepts a rematch.

Hide you cursor......

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Time to face facts guys.

Cage is no different to the old kung lao. Glad the pros finally brought this too light.

Now its a fact of..

Hide your cursor.
(and with it your shame)
Pick Cage.

Is the enemy at full screen or mid screen?
Full screen? throw some green shit.

Dose he move?
No? keep throwing it.
Yes? Ex shadow kick

Is he at Midscreen?
PRO TACTIC F3 F3 F3 F3.

Build some bar?
Ex forceballs

Is he dead?
No? yes he is.
Yes? Now teabag him and ridicule his sexuality until he accepts a rematch.

Hide you cursor......
You have spin and a 7 frame combo starter. You have it easier than most. ;)

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Top players trollin' the community - this is the way to go! (this is the story of every man with power actually)

ZtrideRz

Noob
Both next to useless against cages +5 forceball combine that with his f3.. cage rapes Lao everyone knows this just like sonya jax kitanna mellina kabal sector. Kung Lao is anti zoning now. Counter pick char. That's all he is used for now.