What's new

Tekken 8 is being designed around "Aggression" and much less "Footsies"

DeftMonk

Noob
Um what? Article doesn't mention footsies literally at all. It sounds like activating heat in neutral allows u to chain into a mix that (because its tekken) can be avoided by a knowledge check/read into murdering them. Activating heat in a combo will give you health back and open up new routes. Sounds like there is no reason to make any assumption literally at all. For all we know, movement might be buffed back to pre tekken 7 and game is gonna be hype af AND hard as hell. Who knows?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Um what? Article doesn't mention footsies literally at all. It sounds like activating heat in neutral allows u to chain into a mix that (because its tekken) can be avoided by a knowledge check/read into murdering them. Activating heat in a combo will give you health back and open up new routes. Sounds like there is no reason to make any assumption literally at all. For all we know, movement might be buffed back to pre tekken 7 and game is gonna be hype af AND hard as hell. Who knows?
I think at this point we are discussing the 30+ min video breakdown of the game with footage where they led into the whole thing saying they specifically wanted us to keep the word "aggressive" in mind before getting into a long list of things they are using to build the new game around that core concept.

I'm really not qualified to understand the implications of a lot of what they are talking about, but it sure felt like doubling, then tripling, then maybe quadrupling down on pushing the game to be aggressive and keep the game ever moving forward.

I don't get the need to be that drastic about it given we really don't have a shortage of go ham games. We do have one, super popular standout that wasn't like that, and now it's got at least one armor caked run in, and will let you deal kind of absurd amounts of chip damage.

Trying to not see it as Tekken, it might be a fun game, but sure comes off like it could have a pretty different group of people ranking up this time around. They will have opportunity to refine whatever it is, but sure feels like they came out swinging with multiple bats in hand.

I guess if you were ever afraid of Tekken's legacy knowlege curve, you might be getting an in.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
it shows on the first trailer kazuya backdashing out of Jin's EWHF range and punishing him, after being hit by b21, something that can't be done in T7.

There is still no reason to make assumptions, the new mechanics definitely screams soul charge, and MK a lot, which purists might hate it, but lets not forget heat can only be activated once by round, there is no chip kills, and more importantly, we haven't played the game yet.

the mortal kombatification of FG's continues. apparently the paying majority despises strategy and preparation, but wants the whole screen to be a constant 50/50 situation.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
There is still no reason to make assumptions, the new mechanics definitely screams soul charge, and MK a lot, which purists might hate it, but lets not forget heat can only be activated once by round, there is no chip kills, and more importantly, we haven't played the game yet.
Correct, and as a long-time Tekken player and "purist", taking Tekken into a more aggressive direction is not necessarily a bad decision by Namco. The Tekken series has always been dominated by defensive mechanics and strategies. Watch Arslan Ash's Zafina or Knee's Feng. With the exception of Tekken 4, in order to play any Tekken at an intermediate level or above, you must be able to perform the Korean backdash cancel, an inherently defensive feature of the series, properly.

I am certain that the heat system will initially end up being broken as newly introduced gameplay elements, such as the rage art and rage drive system in Tekken 7, were broken upon implementation too. For this reason, Namco is conducting location tests throughout various regions in the world. Naturally, Namco's business model is conducive to a high quality fighting game because of long-term support and subsequent gameplay adjustments. The comparisons to NRS and Mortal Kombat are therefore confusing, totally inaccurate, and arguably propagandist by certain individuals who are envious that the Tekken franchise has become mainstream once again.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Besides, even if this bizarre connection between Tekken 8 and Mortal Kombat X is accurate, I had much rather play a game similar to Mortal Kombat X than the embarrassing catastrophe known as Mortal Kombat 11.
Embarrassing catastrophe is right when referring to MK11. The gameplay in the game was clearly designed to appeal to viewers, as that's a good source of money these days. With all the cut scenes for various special moves, photo realistic graphics, and celebrity pandering, NRS tried so hard to make MK11 feel more like a movie and less like a game that they succeeded. To me, that just takes away from the game and ironically makes it less watchable. I didn't really enjoy watching MK11 gameplay, when I used to watch it. The last time I tried I got bored after one fight or so and I stopped. I find MK9 and MKX much more fun to watch, which I do on a regular basis to this day. Heck, I've been watching lots of MKDA gameplay these days and that too is more fun than watching MK11.

As bad as the gameplay was though, MK11's biggest failing imho was the story. The way NRS just butchered 27 years of story building and character development was awful. For my taste, the worst story in MK history.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
It seems they have redesigned Jin's Omen mechanic for this game from what it can be seen in the trailer

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
I got in. Didnt use the code yet. None of my mains are in the beta, not even one character that im actually interested in.

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
It's especially appaling with this series because it takes time to learn and execute good defensive play. You can jest and troll about "Arslan being at fault" all you want (remember the time when Tekken was a wholeheartedly South Korea domain ?), but you cannot convince me, that charging forward with the unga-bunga rushdown is somehow more execution-demanding, than spacing, (whiff) punishing and the overall movement. This applies to any fighting game, really, but it's especially apparent with the 3D ones, because, well, the Y-axis isn't there for nothing. It's made with the spectators and watch-ability in mind, but i don't know, if i'll able to watch a Tekken game that is nothing, but shiny, eye-gouging visual effects and endless rushdown (can you tell, that i don't like MKX yet ?). Tekken was never about that and it shouldn't be about that, this change is made just for the sake of stirring things up without a meaning.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
we will find out sooner or later. i am not a fan of the emphasis on aggression which every fighting game is aimin for with recent titles but there are plenty of unknown factors to see if its a issue in t8
The reality is that modern fighting game companies have to appease the spectator as much as the player.

I highly doubt that the game will be bad, though. In terms of pace, Tekken 8 will probably feel similar to Street Fighter 6. In fact, both games include simplified visual effects when offense takes place so that the casual audience can follow a match easier.

In other words, character glows, turns Super Saiyan, and advances forward = advantage. No need for the average Joe to know, understand, and study frame data, which is literally the concept behind drive rush and heat dash for Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8 respectively, according to the developers themselves.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
The reality is that modern fighting game companies have to appease the spectator as much as the player.

I highly doubt that the game will be bad, though. In terms of pace, Tekken 8 will probably feel similar to Street Fighter 6. In fact, both games include simplified visual effects when offense takes place so that the casual audience can follow a match easier.

In other words, character glows, turns Super Saiyan, and advances forward = advantage. No need for the average Joe to know, understand, and study frame data, which is literally the concept behind drive rush and heat dash for Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8 respectively, according to the developers themselves.
Which is kinda ironic because games like usf4 with it's skill ceiling where so much more interesting to watch at high level because these people did things which where hard to do for the average Joe.

I wouldn't say bad since at the end it depends on personal taste but sf6 is a example where I for myself consider it not my cup of tea. I would rather have a neutral overall system with specific rush down or defensive chars then to emphasize either of these two with the general game mechanic.

Last edited:
Which is kinda ironic because games like usf4 with it's skill ceiling where so much more interesting to watch at high level because these people did things which where hard to do for the average Joe.
Eh I disagree on principle.

It was not interesting because it was hard to execute, at least to the average joe. Hard to execute for them is just consistently holding charge, there's plenty of stuff they see in high level that they can't do themselves. Average joe LOVES MvC2/3 because they're wild to look at and all sorts of crazy situations arise(no matter how hard or easy they are to do), and SF4 was the "toned down" version of this. Most of the cast felt WILDLY different in gameplans and most matches had unique flows. That said people also seem to forget things like Yun or Elena.

SFV(and MK11 imo), especially on launch, had a huge problem where even the average joe was picking up that there's only 4 or 5 "states" to the game. You know what combo they're going to do just based on the first hit and their meter, you know how much damage it's going to do across the cast because damage is normalized, you know that it's going to end in a hit/throw/shimmy mixup in the corner because almost everything does, and so on. SFV at least ironed this out later, but it's still a weakness of the game (and I do really like where V landed).

I personally don't like tekken simply because of the all the execution and knowledge checks that just feel like a test in front of the real game. Do you know which 10 moves out of the 100 are going to be the literal core of your gameplay, what 25 are just combo filler, and that the rest are trash (exaggerating, but only somewhat)?, Can you BDC reliably?, can you break throws at 80%+?, etc. Still I've enjoyed watching it, and nothing i'm seeing about Tekken 8 so far indicates it's going to be the apocalypse people keep predicting.