What's new

Question - Kung Lao Starting out on fighters, finally picked who I'm interested in. What next?

Varion

Noob
I realize I need to go to practice mode and grind to better understand him, but can anyone give me like a set check list or steps I should learn? Feelin overwhelmed

Try this video series. Start with either the 'Lets Starting New' episodes or 'Losing Sucks'. It's been a while since I've watched, but I think Let's Starting New sets out a guideline for new players to approach fighting games, then goes onto an attacking 101 episode and a defending 101 episode. Most examples use Street Fighter, but the lessons still apply.

Edit: forgot to post the link. Duhhh....

Last edited:
Sit in a training game for a bit and test out the timing on his basic hits and move command hits.
Then move on to the specials and focus on the timing and making sure you get the inputs clean consistently.
Learn what the EX version of all of the specials do.
Then i would say start to learn all of the basic strings and pay particular attention to combos with low hits and overheads.
At the point where you feel comfortable with all the above, you can either start to to play against the ai to implement what you have learned or you can play online if you feel pretty confident.
Against most beginners just being able to input cleanly is enough once you learn when you have an opening to attack which just come from experience.

After you feel like you have a pretty solid grip on your basics you can start learning longer combos much easier. I would suggest using some of the BnB's that are posted in your characters section on the forums. Once you learn a few different longer combos it will help you develop a sense of how linking works and you can tweak things and start to form your own combos. Really just play as much as you can though.

Hope that helps : )

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Kick, punch, block
Chop, kick, block
Block, turn, and kick it

I forgot the rest but that's all master onion taught me...

I usually just screw around in practice and against ai until I'm comfortable and then improve on things I'm having trouble let with against others... Everyone finds thier own path though...

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
one at a time.
go with 1 variation, pick the best strings, normals(d1 d2 d3) and a few combos
then play until you get used to them to not get overwhelmed.
repeat.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
First I would make sure to be comfortable with all of his special moves. once you can do all his specials consistently, and on command, I would practice doing the EX version of them to see how they change. The I would do the same thing with his combo strings. Some strings I would look into are b2, b22, b321, f23, and f14, as those are some that I use the most. Also d3. Get a feel for their range, so when you are fighting you have an idea of where you need to be in order to hit them with those strings. This will come with time, as spacing is one of the hardest skills to master, so don't get frustrated if it seems daunting. Play around with his tele to see what options work where. And finally, watch and rewatch PL vs MiT fatal 8 set, or as much high level Kung Lao game play as possible. Imo that's the fastest way to learn how to apply a characters tools.

Varion

Noob
First I would make sure to be comfortable with all of his special moves. once you can do all his specials consistently, and on command, I would practice doing the EX version of them to see how they change. The I would do the same thing with his combo strings. Some strings I would look into are b2, b22, b321, f23, and f14, as those are some that I use the most. Also d3. Get a feel for their range, so when you are fighting you have an idea of where you need to be in order to hit them with those strings. This will come with time, as spacing is one of the hardest skills to master, so don't get frustrated if it seems daunting. Play around with his tele to see what options work where. And finally, watch and rewatch PL vs MiT fatal 8 set, or as much high level Kung Lao game play as possible. Imo that's the fastest way to learn how to apply a characters tools.
So essentially save bnbs for the very last

Perfect Legend has a couple videos on his youtube channel that might be of help. I think one is a how to approach fighting games and maybe there was one on MK9.

Look at Tom Brady's recent MKX Breakdown post as well.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
So essentially save bnbs for the very last
Not necessarily. MKX is more about spacing and footsies then combos, but they are def important. By practicing his specials and strings, when you go to learn bnb's it will be that much easier. With Kung lao I've won more games with good spacing and mixing up b2, b22, and b22xxbd2 then by comboing someone to death. For an easy bnb if you are interested
F23xxdf1, ji4, d4 (divekick), f14. I used this as my go too punish string for a while. Leaves you in range to go into b2xxdb2 hat mixups. I would practice that so if someone does something super unsafe, you have a way to get some good damage to make them pay. Better damage is to be had, but that's good to start. Once you get good at that, the combo threads have tons of over great combos

F4tal

Noob
I am also a Buzz Saw Kung Lao main. The first thing I did was I got myself familiar with his normal attacks. I usually go in practice and set the AI to do a basic attack and I try and see which of my basic attacks beat that characters and what doesn't. This gives you an idea on what attacks are safe/unsafe on block and also helps you play footsies. After basic attacks I would then choose another character and see what special moves That Lao has that are punishable so then you know when is a good time and a bad time to use them if that makes sense.

Varion

Noob
So a good gameplan is normals (range, overheads and lows), specials execution, then blocking/normals to see what's safer? Then what can punish? Then get into combing/bnbs/damage?