What's new

Starfire Patch Needs and Wishes

jmt

Noob
Some still persist, and trust me, you just have to go see the online rooms, there is never a shortage of scrubs in FG’s due to their very nature.And, given that IJ is a comic fan magnet, there is all the more!
All those players are free though so it doesn’t matter.

d1 not linking into BGB anymore is rather annoying, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't intended - it's just an unfortunate consequence of the change which was done to stop d1 linking into MB Star Dust. If it's possible to make d1~BGB combo but not d1~MB Star Dust, ideally I'd like that to happen, though I don't think getting d1~MB Star Dust back would actually be too ridiculous given her other damage nerfs.

That said I'm happy enough to live without it, as Starfire still gets more from a d1 meterless than a huge chunk of the cast does, not to mention that d1 is a godlike poke in its own right....

Regarding the 'nice to have' suggestions in the OP, 21 comboing into MB Star Dust midscreen would rock, as would b1 comboing into MB Star Dust actually. S3 becoming 12 frames, however, might be a tad much - given it's even on block, goes over lows with ease, is a powerful combo starter and has great range, it needs slower start-up to balance it out.

I do feel nostalgic for her pre-patch damage sometimes, which I appreciate is an odd thing to feel 'nostalgic' for when the character hasn't even been in the game for 3 months...

She's just another boring zoner in a game full of zoners... And, Deadshot fills already the top spot for the archetype... and She doesn't beat Deadshot... She's just a waste of space slot of a character. She's now a character for fun and giggles Knowmesaying?.:DOGE

Last edited:

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
She's just another boring zoner in a game full of zoners... And, Deadshot fills alredy the top spot for the archetype... and She doesn't beat Deadshot... She's just a waste of space slot of a character. She's now a character for fun and giggles Knowmesaying?.:DOGE
"Full" of zoners when Ivy, Starfire, Deadshot, and Fate are the full on zoners.

K.

:DOGE

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Tbh, I don’t even use d2. She has b2 and db3 so you shouldn’t really be using d2 when those 2 are gdlk. 2 AAs are already good enough. She doesn’t need 3

I personally just wish we had d1 bgb.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
DISCLAIMER: Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong. I'm definitely not looking to downplay or start a stupid trip over this, I just think she could be better for these things.

- F2, 1+3's throw component to be a true throw on block. Directable (back or fwd throw), techable, etc.
Reasoning: When we have mixups and unlbockables, a techable tick throw setup wouldn't be such a big deal and it would help her overall neutral.

- MB CLOSE Stardust to be +2 on block.
Reasoning: This is her main tool and I see no logical reason to punish her with -17 for spending a bar. (not from full screen, that would be stupid ofc)

- D1 to be +12 on hit rather than +9.
Reasoning: Currently the only thing she has guaranteed at 9f is a high, her s1. This would mean she can get things going off of a d1 and it would make her a notch less helpless in some of her losing matchups.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Why's everyone complaining about her d2 when her b2 and db3 are already good antiairs? Some characters have none.
In my opinion requesting fixes for one character shouldn't mean other characters do not deserve their own fixes.
At the end of the day we want matches to be fun and challenging - that's the point of competing, after all. For this we need all the characters to be as good as they can be.

9_Lives

Noob
In my opinion requesting fixes for one character shouldn't mean other characters do not deserve their own fixes.
At the end of the day we want matches to be fun and challenging - that's the point of competing, after all. For this we need all the characters to be as good as they can be.
I suppose, but it just seems strange to me the concept of multiple antiair options. Don't get me wrong I hope you guys get whatever changes you want, but it just seems like a redundant thing to request if she can already do that really well. That being said I don't play the character, so don't let my opinion weigh too much lol.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I suppose, but it just seems strange to me the concept of multiple antiair options. Don't get me wrong I hope you guys get whatever changes you want, but it just seems like a redundant thing to request if she can already do that really well. That being said I don't play the character, so don't let my opinion weigh too much lol.
He admitted that having db3 means his request is invalid too.
That, and her d2 is a pretty solid tool with its medium range and how you can combo off of it on hit. You can literally combo punish people's jabs on read. lol
What I think Starfire needs in all honesty is the above things I suggested because right now she's too easy to block in comparison to other characters.

AkioOf100

I play Raph
Have you even played her? She plays great.
Ya she plays like some weirdo space chick with 0 up close aside from gimmicks. Not even good gimmicks, just weird. Nothing comparable to the comics. Her character design is perfect but her play style is so... not.. starfire. Like she does a bunch of h2h in comics, she was able to beat Dick Grayson in hand to hand. In game she’s just some weird character up close with annoying zoning and lots of screaming.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Ya she plays like some weirdo space chick with 0 up close aside from gimmicks. Not even good gimmicks, just weird. Nothing comparable to the comics. Her character design is perfect but her play style is so... not.. starfire. Like she does a bunch of h2h in comics, she was able to beat Dick Grayson in hand to hand. In game she’s just some weird character up close with annoying zoning and lots of screaming.
Her Rushdown is unconventional indeed, but that's what makes her so unique. She isn't about Mixups and she never meant to be one. She is a very versatile character that her strongest is Zoning, which fits perfectly because of her powers, but she does have great mobility on the ground and air, and her up-close game is about the staggers, Anti-Airs and jump-ins, not Mixups. Just because she had one fight with Dick Grayson that doesn't she has to be a Mixup character. Her playstyle fits her perfectly.

AkioOf100

I play Raph
Her Rushdown is unconventional indeed, but that's what makes her so unique. She isn't about Mixups and she never meant to be one. She is a very versatile character that her strongest is Zoning, which fits perfectly because of her powers, but she does have great mobility on the ground and air, and her up-close game is about the staggers, Anti-Airs and jump-ins, not Mixups. Just because she had one fight with Dick Grayson that doesn't she has to be a Mixup character. Her playstyle fits her perfectly.
I never said she had to be a mixup character. I just don't like her being mainly a zoner, I think counter-zoning would fit her better. You don't have to be a mix-up character to be rushdown. Look at catwoman, look at superman, look at black adam. They aren't really mix-up characters yet they still excel at rushing the opponent down. And no, she's had multiple fights with multiple people in the comics up close, and won just about every single one of them if I recall correctly, including that of [spell check] Tamaranean warlords/generals.

I love her in the comics she's just not the same here.

Roy Arkon

I never said she had to be a mixup character. I just don't like her being mainly a zoner, I think counter-zoning would fit her better. You don't have to be a mix-up character to be rushdown. Look at catwoman, look at superman, look at black adam. They aren't really mix-up characters yet they still excel at rushing the opponent down. And no, she's had multiple fights with multiple people in the comics up close, and won just about every single one of them if I recall correctly, including that of [spell check] Tamaranean warlords/generals.

You don't need to explain to me about Rushdown, I just told you myself that her Rushdown is about Staggers, AA's and Jump-ins, so you don't need to explain to me that Rushdown isn't just Mixups. And no, her being a mainly a Zoner, while she's also very good in up-close game, mind you, is the right playstyle for her. We already saw Deadshot's gameplay changed to Counter-Zoning due to his changes after the patch, and we don't need to change another Zoner. She is perfect the way she is.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

She has the tools to be upclose too.

AkioOf100

I play Raph
Her up close "staggers" are mostly awful bc they're unsafe for the mostpart. Everybody is going to know when it's their turn. It's not like she has moves that are barely minus aside from like f22. But, I digress. If people want her to be this weird, stagnant zoner character, enjoy it. It's just sort of a let down for the people who actually know how the character fights.

Roy Arkon

Her up close "staggers" are mostly awful bc they're unsafe for the mostpart. Everybody is going to know when it's their turn. It's not like she has moves that are barely minus aside from like f22. But, I digress. If people want her to be this weird, stagnant zoner character, enjoy it. It's just sort of a let down for the people who actually know how the character fights.
She has very good tools, all of he AA's for one. Just because she doesn't fight one for one like in the comics that doesn't there is 0 resemblance to that or that her playstyle doesn't fit her style of fighting in the comics. Also she is a very mobile and some of her normals advance her forward well. Yet you're calling her "stagnant", after I've already told you the opposite in my previous post. Now you're just making stuff up. I don't think you've played the character enough if you make statements like that.

She is good the way she is, period.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Personally I agree that she's somewhat lackluster upclose, but she's not helpless. She has a hard time opening up turtlers, especially if they know her tools. Guess that's why she has her chip damage but yeah It'd be nice to have some actual frames traps or better tools to make the opponent twitch.

Last edited:

AkioOf100

I play Raph
She has very good tools, all of he AA's for one. Just because she doesn't fight one for one like in the comics that doesn't there is 0 resemblance to that or that her playstyle doesn't fit her style of fighting in the comics. Also she is a very mobile and some of her normals advance her forward well. Yet you're calling her "stagnant", after I've already told you the opposite in my previous post. Now you're just making stuff up. I don't think you've played the character enough if you make statements like that.

She is good the way she is, period.
We're allowed to have different opinions. I use the word stagnant metaphorically, in reference to how she's stuck in this weird zoner quota. If you like the sprinkle-throwing, always-screaming starfire, power to you and to everybody who wanted her to play like this. I read about a different Starfire. It's not that serious. There are like 300 different starfires in the DC Multiverse, I could be wrong. I just know that I didn't go, "Oh, Starfire. Super-strength, Tamaranean princess with the power to eradicate solar systems... she's gonna be a zoner."

Furthermore, I did read your previous post, and I've played against amazingly talented Starfires. Up close, they move around a LOT, definitely. Because they're trying to get the hell away from you so they can zone again. That stupid, weird jump 3 (where she is also screaming lmaoo) is the most terrifying thing ever. Her B3 is super-characteristic of her. Her f3 is .. ok, sure. I just think Starfire looks really.. princess-y, more than warrior-esque. While she is technically a princess, Tamaraneans really don't follow the same quota as Humans. She's more of a God of War than a princess if you ask me.

Roy Arkon

We're allowed to have different opinions. I use the word stagnant metaphorically, in reference to how she's stuck in this weird zoner quota. If you like the sprinkle-throwing, always-screaming starfire, power to you and to everybody who wanted her to play like this. I read about a different Starfire. It's not that serious. There are like 300 different starfires in the DC Multiverse, I could be wrong. I just know that I didn't go, "Oh, Starfire. Super-strength, Tamaranean princess with the power to eradicate solar systems... she's gonna be a zoner."
Never said that you can't have an opinion, all I was saying that she isn't stuck anywhere. When I play Starfire I don't just go for the Zoning all the time, in fact, if she was a stuck Zoner who doesn't have mobility and good normals, I probably won't have play her. Also like you said, there are several versions of Starfire, and even though I'm not that much into DC, the Starfire I know of doesn't contradict the playstyle of IJ2's Starfire.

AkioOf100

I play Raph
Never said that you can't have an opinion, all I was saying that she isn't stuck anywhere. When I play Starfire I don't just go for the Zoning all the time, in fact, if she was a stuck Zoner who doesn't have mobility and good normals, I probably won't have play her. Also like you said, there are several versions of Starfire, and even though I'm not that much into DC, the Starfire I know of doesn't contradict the playstyle of IJ2's Starfire.
Even though I disagree with her play style, I'm glad you enjoy playing her. <3