What's new

Sources of Kanon

So I recently went down the MK rabbit hole and tried to discern the story of the klassic games the best I could, though bios and endings. Apparently there are even more sources of kanon. For instance, I remember growing up always hearing how Baraka and Mileena were lovers, but now I can't find that anywyere.

Also, I found this page on the MK wiki, talking about how everyone dies.

It includes some info I'm not privy to, like Raiden killing Kintaro in MK2. Any idea where this kanon might be from?

The canon for the Midway-developed games can be all over the place. Typically it's Bios and any pre-story info, and then you'd have to wait for the next game to find out which Arcade Ladder ending is the canon one.

For Mileena, she never had any lovers in said time line that I'm aware of.

The NetherRealm Studios games, inspite of their faults, have a much more easily discerned canon. It's Story Mode and Bios only in the first 3 games. For Mortal Kombat 1, Klassic Tower endings may be canon, we'll need to see.

In the last timeline, Mileena's only lover was Reiko, as detailed in the Mortal Kombat X comics. The comics were decanonised a few years back though, and then parts were recanonised, so it's a bit weird.

In the current timeline, Tanya is her lover and she's LGBTQ.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
They actually kill eachother in their Deception endings but here's Baraka's ending from Armageddon

• "With the power of Blaze within him, Baraka would never again serve another. Summoning Shao Kahn and Onaga before him atop the pyramid, he gave them a choice: submit to Lord Baraka or die. They responded by attacking the Tarkatan. In a flash, Baraka's blades grew to twice their normal length and pierced his former masters through their hearts. Flinging their bodies down the side of the pyramid, Baraka turned his attention to a more important matter: who would be his queen? He gave Mileena a choice. She chose wisely..."

They actually kill eachother in their Deception endings but here's Baraka's ending from Armageddon

• "With the power of Blaze within him, Baraka would never again serve another. Summoning Shao Kahn and Onaga before him atop the pyramid, he gave them a choice: submit to Lord Baraka or die. They responded by attacking the Tarkatan. In a flash, Baraka's blades grew to twice their normal length and pierced his former masters through their hearts. Flinging their bodies down the side of the pyramid, Baraka turned his attention to a more important matter: who would be his queen? He gave Mileena a choice. She chose wisely..."
Keep in mind, that ending is non-canon.

Art Lean

Noob
It was her Mortal Kombat 2 ending that first established Mileena and Baraka as a couple:

"She wins the tournament and together with her secret companion Baraka they rule the world as king and queen."

That ending may not have came to pass, but the wording certainly suggests that Baraka was already her "secret companion" throughout MK2 regardless.

It was her Mortal Kombat 2 ending that first established Mileena and Baraka as a couple:

"She wins the tournament and together with her secret companion Baraka they rule the world as king and queen."

View attachment 21186

That ending may not have came to pass, but the wording certainly suggests that Baraka was already her "secret companion" throughout MK2 regardless.
Keep in mind Baraka's ending mentioned nothing of her. It's all not canon.

The way I've always interpreted endings, and what I think is pretty standard, is that the information revealed in them about past events, not the actual endings themselves, are kanon, so that lines up. Thanks!

As for Kintaro being killed by Raiden, I dug up this old thread.

The way I've always interpreted endings, and what I think is pretty standard, is that the information revealed in them about past events, not the actual endings themselves, are kanon, so that lines up. Thanks!
That's actually not the case, at least with the NetherRealm Studios games (Mortal Kombat 1 may be different, though). Can't comment on the Midway ones there.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
That's actually not the case, at least with the NetherRealm Studios games (Mortal Kombat 1 may be different, though). Can't comment on the Midway ones there.
Isn't it? Both Ermac's and Cage's MK9 endings did exactly that, reveal cannon details in non-cannon endings.

1F409

Noob
I think there's an argument to be made, at least for many long-lasting franchises, that the earliest examples take precedence. Sure, one can always claim that the earlier stories were misunderstood, based on half-truths, and so on -- like Tolkien's in-universe explanation for the difference between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings -- but when it comes down to it, we all know what's really going on. Personally, I'm a bit put off when artists have the audacity to attempt to retcon my childhood memories. Hands off! You wrote it and we liked it, you made a nice profit, now let it rest. Stop being greedy.