What's new

Tech - Covert Ops Sonya Post-F2 Pressure Options

F2 is one of Sonya's best pokes. It has very good range (better than b1!), and it is not very negative on block (-3).

F2B1 is a hard knockdown but doesn't lead to good advantage, so I don't like to use this full string in the neutral as much. I will generally use it if I catch someone jumping out of a poke, because it's easy to convert into pressure (d1, f2b1)

Covert Ops in particular has very few safe strings, and that's likely to limit how often she has the option to parry, given how terrifying parry's damage potential is.

(Reminder of how terrifying parry is)

F2 is a beefy +16 on hit. Even with that +16 it has quite alot of recovery which is actually very helpful for giving you valuable time to hit confirm to see if this single move has hit or been blocked. +16 is actually enough that even at F2's outer distance you can do a run into her high starting string 121 (which is +2 on block) and it will jail:

Needless to say, you also have the option of doing b14, just shorten your run cancel to a small 'hop'

Notice that in the above I need to do a run immediately after F2 for this to hit, so I'm doing my inputs as Sonya is still in the middle of the move. This works as an option select because there is more recovery on block than hit. If I hit the run will come out, if I am blocked the run will not come out. This in addition to the hit animation gives me a nice visual indication of whether I should follow up with a block string or not.

So on block run does not come out, and if I'm using f2 correctly, I'm generally going to be at a distance where my opponent has a limited set of moves that can hit me. Also, I'm only -3. This is where parry SHINES.

(Regular parry works as well for most opponents. D'Vorah is unique in that her d1 is a far-reaching mid poke, so it requires an EX here)

You can see in the above gif I am doing my run input but it is not coming out. I then see that I haven't hit and Sonya isn't running and just do her EX parry anticipating the opponent may wish to take advantage of me being -3.

If you've taught your opponent to respect your defensive options after a blocked -3 that's when you can really start abusing them by continuing pressure on block. b1~MS Grab is always a really good option and few opponents are ever expecting it.

(You know you're doing something right when you've earned enough respect to turn a -3 on block move into a throw)

Notice I'm still doing my run input after a blocked F2 just so I still OS a run if it's hit. Really, with +16 I don't see any reason to not want to run and continue pressure with F2 whenever I hit. So I think Sonya players should make it a habit to replace "F2" as a command in their minds with "F2, run"

Do be careful about getting predictable with the parry, as many players will just opt to jump forward on you after a blocked f2. Simply don't forget your traditional defensive tools of backdash and d2 and you should be fine. If your opponent jumps in on you after a blocked f2 and you backdash, against all but a few characters you will whiff and force a tripguard punish.

Whelp, that's F2 folks. It's pretty good for Covert Ops.

GQJ

Noob
That f2 option select is magnificent. I am not an OS fan, but fuck it I'll take it.

I was playing around with SF Sonya BC my ol' lady plays it, so I was trying to learn it to help her, but now its kinda of fun (Brawler Cassie will be my only true love though). One thing though, I am having to hold run to OS it, I am accustomed to just tapping it with Cassie.

Thanks for the post and GIFs.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Yup the most I've gotten was 46% for one bar but that was months ago maybe a patch changed her dmg.
I got 49% corner from ex parry, no extra bar spent (pretty hard combo though)
In comparison to other mids of other characters her F2 really sucks....It's best used in Demo because F2 grenade is safe and combo on hit. I would like a fix to CO so that F2 MS 4 can combo on hit. Right now only F2 MS 3 combo on hit and Sonya can only full combo from it in the corner. CO is already risky and she can't hit confirm out of F2

I got 49% corner from ex parry, no extra bar spent (pretty hard combo though)
In comparison to other mids of other characters her F2 really sucks....It's best used in Demo because F2 grenade is safe and combo on hit. I would like a fix to CO so that F2 MS 4 can combo on hit. Right now only F2 MS 3 combo on hit and Sonya can only full combo from it in the corner. CO is already risky and she can't hit confirm out of F2
F2 MS is not a really good option even if F2 MS4 combo'd.

F2 on hit staggers the opponent out of range of your grab option, so the godliness of MS becomes just like most other mixup options in the game except with CO's low damage.

Theoretically if you could go for MS4 after F2 it'd be pretty yolo because you wouldn't have time to hit confirm like you do with mulit hit strings like B14 or B33.

Tried to combo 121 after f2 rc and it doesn't work. Set to auto block and they block it.
It doesn't combo, it "jails"

This means it is guaranteed and they can not armor out.

An added side effect bonus is in a state of hit stun the opponent is considered to be standing, so even if the opponent holds down, a high string like 121 will not whiff.

Dedlock

Noob
Yes F2 has been covert ops Sonya's go to poke normal,

I completely agree with your suggestion Tony, although I would like to add do not underestimate the F2, B1, it's only -6 on block ( ie a few people can punish after) and brings you in the opponents face to whoop out the 1,2,1 chip pressure game, which usually ends up in Sonya's favour also if they dare punish or armour out parrying comes into play.

The only drawback is it gets repetitive.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Great tech man. I've decided to main Sonya and this is really great stuff.
Chrystal clear explanation without a drawn out video :)