What's new

Revison "3.0 Turbo" Discovered (Black Ninja?)

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Ok, so there are plenty of us out there who know of all the recent hacks of MK1 that have come to light in the last year or so, most recently, the Nifty Kombo, but I think this one kinda ranks right up there. This "Kool Kombo" set appeared on Ebay about three weeks ago and I snagged it for $111. There was some talk of it possibly being another rare hack due to the wording of the roms. Turns out....it was true!

I call this the "3.0 Turbo" because it's obviously a prototype for the 3.1 Turbo. Below is my evidence....

We'll start with a pic of the daughter board and roms. (Notice that they say "Kool Kombo")...

Then comes the screen that we all know...

However...when you go into the test menu, the revision states it as being Revision 3.0. This is different from the 3.1 Turbo. That one actually says "3.1 Turbo."...

The last reason I think this is a prototype to the 3.1 Turbo, is Subby's freeze does not raise the opponent. It scoots them back a little, but does not raise them like in 3.1 Turbo....

...hence, the name "3.0 Turbo." I don't know much about the Black Ninja hack and this could very well be it, but I doubt it. Granted, I haven't played it in detail because I just got home after flying for 22 hours from Thailand back to Kansas. I am exhausted and don't feel like playing the game in depth for more details. Tomorrow, when I do, rest assured you'll have more info if there is any.

That all being said, I do not have time to get these off to be mame'd because I am leaving for Afghanistan again tomorrow, nor do I have the ability to dump them myself. I want to take a poll to see if it would be worth the time and effort to do so because after all, we have the 3.1 Turbo already, and maming "3.0" Turbo would be like going back to UMK3 1.2 after playing the Jugg hack. Thoughts?

There's a video being uploaded right now. I'll post it here with it's complete.

YourMKArcadeSource

Found out something else that's a bit interesting. Apparently, you don't get any points for beating Reptile.

Mike I still think you should send this to smitdogg when you get back. Even if its a prototype. We have 2 versions of nifty kombo so why not 2 versions of this.
I would like to check it out even if you dont get it mamed. Maybe you could atleast get them dumped and send me a copy of the image so I can play it in my kombo board. HeHe

YourMKArcadeSource

Cool. When I get home at the beginning of March, I'll get with bulldawg and see about getting them dumped. Here is the video....

Yeah just let me know mike. I got my programmer working again and I can dump it and get it to smitdogg at the mame team.