What's new

Returning Injustice characters have returning movesets

Do You Approve Of I2 Having Similar Movesets and Animations Of Returning IGAU Characters?

• Yes, it will benefit franchise loyalists and new players will not have to fear severe imbalance.

Votes: 84 85.7%
  • No, NRS at it again. Was IGAU just Beta?

Votes: 14 14.3%

• Total voters

thesacrifist

Too old for this
I voted yes, with the caveat that every legacy-character gets some polish on some janky animations/stances (batman, looking at you), some new effects (like the aquaman tentacle telepathy thing and that they all still feel as shiny as the new ones inevitably will

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Brief discussion with @STRYKIE brought this to mind. It is worth baring in mind that Injustice is still a pretty new IP. So instead of rebuilding something new from the ground up like a well established franchise (MK) it might be that NRS thought it was worth keeping recognisable moves/animations to establish a familiarity for IGAU fans/players alike, and focus on improving the core engine.

This is assuming that the moves are not placeholders.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
What's with the crying about "your character" having the same disadvantages as as they had in i1? Come on guys, there maybe be similar move sets, but you're going to see new specials, then there's the gear, and things we dont even know about yet. This is a new game, it's going to be alright.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I voted yes, with the caveat that every legacy-character gets some polish on some janky animations/stances (batman, looking at you), some new effects (like the aquaman tentacle telepathy thing and that they all still feel as shiny as the new ones inevitably will
I agree with this thought. I'm fine with most characters carrying over some moves, but I hope they're still able to be creative and tinker with/expand each character a bit. A character like Cyborg could use a new trait, for example.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Lol, ppl are so used to NRS having to redesign their entire characters from Scratch that are calling the altitude towards Injustice 2 Lazyness.

I think this is what they should've been doing it since MK9, they can add new moves for sure, but key moves and key normals should still be there, kinda glad if they're really building up upon what was made with IGAU, it would mean NRS is aiming towards refining what didn't work out well for Injustice 1.

Let them work, its way earlier to have these kind of opinions anyway.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Lol, ppl are so used to NRS having to redesign their entire characters from Scratch that are calling the altitude towards Injustice 2 Lazyness.

I think this is what they should've been doing it since MK9, they can add new moves for sure, but key moves and key normals should still be there, kinda glad if they're really building up upon what was made with IGAU, it would mean NRS is aiming towards refining what didn't work out well for Injustice 1.

I mean...pretty much EVERY fighting game series have their characters keep their movesets but almost always with different properties. It makes them feel familiar but not necessarily the same.

Except for Ryu. I think crMK xx Fireball will always be a thing no matter what.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I think they won't use the same movelists, but if they do...

Please NRS no!

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
This is exactly how the game should be. Rewards loyal fans, allows NRS to expand the roster in the most appropriate way possible and also creates the possibility for a semi balanced game day 1 that won't have to be hammered into the ground with patches!

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I think it's good. It didn't have to be an exact copy. They could change strings and properties of moves. Giving new combo paths and getting rid of old ones. NRS going to need all the help with balance they can get if they're going to do something as crazy as different move combinations. People seem to forget that this gear thing could possibly change a character completely. Building off of injustice allows them to get a defined vision for their game and actually mature the gameplay. They're still adding some big mechanic change they can market so it's the best of both worlds.

What we really should be talking about is animations. Everything from cinematics getting boring (how many times you want to see a stage transition or superman punch a guy through the air?). To single moves looking weird.

crMK xx Fireball
Even that got changed a bit in SFV. Not as safe and easy spacing tool as in 4. They even changed up guile's 2 specials a bit.

Last edited:

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Ryu has had almost the exact same moveset for 20+ years. I sincerely doubt we will see no new moves or new normals/strings for returning characters. I feel like some of the throws already look different.

Game doesn't come out till next year. It'll be fine.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main

I really don't understand how this is way early if this is the progress they are allowing people to demo...

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
This can be a really good thing for the roster.

They could easily implement the entire Injustice 1 roster with some modifications in Injustice 2 and put a bunch of new characters on it.

Imagine a roster of 30+ as a starting roster. That would be awesome.

Lokheit

Noob
I hope they do the same with MK11. Tekken and SF have been doing this for ages and its fine.

The biggest pro is that it frees more game design time to create additional character as the balance work on the returning ones was already done. Of course tweaks here and there for any character is in the equation and if the character moveset in the previous set was a disaster (either OP or bottom tier) a rework for specific returning characters would be fine.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I don't really mind it, the animations look great despite them being carried over. Is don't really see the need for a character to always need new animations. Shit Ryu has had basically the same animations for the past 25+ years

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I actually think it would be interesting to see NRS build on what they did with the first Injustice and refine it instead of building an entirely new game from scratch.
I keep saying this.

People don't seem to get how much of their resources they throw away by starting from scratch every time.

If you make all your returning characters almost entirely new characters you lose out on more entirely new characters(and in MK's case, revised older characters from the 3D era as well who would be basically new due to the 2D transition).

Balance old characters and add a few new bells and whistles, and use all of that creativity left over to bring someone not seen before into the fray.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I don't care either way as long as they address the major balance issues from the first game. If they can find a way (maybe through the new gear system even) to actually let Grundy land a hit on Hawkgirl and Lex even move at all against Zod and so forth, without nerfing anyone into the ground or buffing anyone into the stratosphere, I'm all for them recycling novelists if that means we'll get that many more new characters in this game.

They definitely need to refine the properties of some of the recycled moves though (looking at you Trident Rush and Overhead Teleport). The only concern here is that it was hard enough for them to balance such a diverse cast of 20+, so once we consider hitting MvC2 levels of roster depth we're probably going to see MvC2 levels of balance too (aka none whatsoever), especially when they have to balance millions of gear combinations on top of just the overall cast. It's going to be a tough road ahead for NRS but I'm hoping for the best.

MK_Al

Noob
I would love if they - instead of throwing the previous game in the trash bin and going ham with crazy new ideas that turn out to be "normalize - worthy" - DEVELOP the previous title to something hopefully better