What's new

Match-up Discussion Raven Matchup Discussion

Slowly inch in after blocking. Dont dash. His boulders are super punishable so make sure you block overhead and soul crush. I also like to get into demon stance and tele into b12 for a low starter or a MB f3 for the overhead.

I really hate having to be the one who tries to get in on a zoner. I'm so used to being the one that does the keep away haha. But yeah it seems patients is key against Sinestro.

I too have used teleport on a ball blast/boulder read. It has worked pretty well but I've only used it in the two matches I had against this one Sinestro yesterday. I'm not sure how safe it actually is off of a ball blast read though.

So is it not safe to dash after MB and/or non-MB yellow balls? And can a blocked boulder be punished with SC? Also can Raven punish Sinestro on a ball blast read by teleporting in and using 11 or 22 into event horizon? (Not sure if 11 can combo into event horizon)

Thanks for the help.
1. not safe after MB, safe after non-mb projectile. thats why you must get rid of his meter.
2. not sure if soul crush punishes boulder but i think so. anyway, try to forward dash the boulder and you can punish hard.
3. MB definitely, not sure about non-mb but should. at fullscreen you can also jump the projectiles and teleport at the highest point, but only fullscreen cause they travel a little downwards.

oh and after hit you cant do anything. also you should ONLY move forward after a blocked attack, to avoid shackles.

Raven gets a small taste of her own medicine in that matchup.

Owerbart

I miss you
IMO Raven has the advantage over sinestro. His specials are hella punishable with SC. When he has trait... well, that's a different story.

Owerbart

I miss you
This. It's like 5.5-4.5 Raven.
Stage makes a BIG difference.
Agreed. Raven is the gadgety-no dinamite kind of character, while sinestro is a strength character. Avoid Arkham Asylum, that stage is death for Raven. Batcave, Themyscyra (or how the hell is the spelling) and Atlantis are probably her best stages. Atlantis in particular is my favorite due to the awesome zoning/camping you can establish with the sinks in the sides.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Agreed. Raven is the gadgety-no dinamite kind of character, while sinestro is a strength character. Avoid Arkham Asylum, that stage is death for Raven. Batcave, Themyscyra (or how the hell is the spelling) and Atlantis are probably her best stages. Atlantis in particular is my favorite due to the awesome zoning/camping you can establish with the sinks in the sides.
Hall of justice = best stage.

Arkham Asylum is fine... as long as you stick to the Mess Hall. You're slightly screwed if you end up in the Cell Block lol.

But yeah, Hall of Justice Plaza = yay for Raven.

Growing to love Atlantis also tbh.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
So about that Grundy MU... All that fuckn armor is hell for Raven. And once he knocks you down you are so boned.
Sometimes you can MB B3 Walking corpse if they commit to it, but if they cancel it you can blow it up. Once he knocks you down you want to backdash, dont try to do wakeups.

If you jump swamp hands you can soul crush him.

Yeah other than that, just stay away and hope for the best lol

*They can blow it up

(TYM wont let me edit post)

Yeah I noticed that. I started doing MB b3 and so he just started canceling his WC and fucking me up. I just finished playing a bunch of matches against Grundy. I won quite a few, maybe half. I would have definitely won more if it wasn't for those damn interactables. I so hope they get nerfed. But yeah, it seems like you just have to play super safe and bank on good reads.

If you jump swamp hands you can soul crush him.
Does this work on MB swamp hands too?

So tried to get my friend to see the importance of dark raven, since he had the best neutral raven play I have seen, and he just does not believe it has any relevance. I showed him my matches with other raven players when I was showcasing the mu being 5/5 g.l-raven and the "explicit" accused me of taking it easy cause I was "too" lenient and allowed the zone game to stay active when I know how to get out... now correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't most g.l raven fights be about the raven attempting to zone g.l out? Since online hurts raven more, should I not need to make multiple reads to try and simulate an offline mu. Thanks anyway blind ducky, song of trigun emperor shaolin and everyone else for the matches but some people can't be helped.

So about that Grundy MU... All that fuckn armor is hell for Raven. And once he knocks you down you are so boned.
b23 on reaction annihilates walking corpse cause raven is considered airborne and cant be grabbed. it also blows up cancel into d2 or whatever he might do cause the second hit happens right after armor wore off so he can just block and you end up +3 (or back fullscreen if he doesnt).

also Zoidberg747

b23 on reaction annihilates walking corpse cause raven is considered airborne and cant be grabbed. it also blows up cancel into d2 or whatever he might do cause the second hit happens right after armor wore off so he can just block and you end up +3 (or back fullscreen if he doesnt).

also Zoidberg747

Yeah I was doing this but you have to be careful with the timing. I'm trying to remember exactly what he did but he was able to punish it sometimes. I think if you hit him with the 3 part when he's armored and he cancels it, he can punish you. So I guess just don't do b2,3 too early if you think he's guna do WC.

And I thought that the b2 was +3, not the 3 part. The 3 part is negative I think.

Yeah I was doing this but you have to be careful with the timing. I'm trying to remember exactly what he did but he was able to punish it sometimes. I think if you hit him with the 3 part when he's armored and he cancels it, he can punish you. So I guess just don't do b2,3 too early if you think he's guna do WC.

And I thought that the b2 was +3, not the 3 part. The 3 part is negative I think.
dont do it on read but on reaction, then you have no problems. just be careful theres a tiny non-airborne gap between your two hits in which he can grab you, you wanna checkout the exact timing, i think you may not do it immediately when you see WC but a tiny bit delayed. this is also the right timing to not get blown up by cancel.

and gotta check if b23 is not plus im not sure but its at least safe.

dont do it on read but on reaction, then you have no problems. just be careful theres a tiny non-airborne gap between your two hits in which he can grab you, you wanna checkout the exact timing, i think you may not do it immediately when you see WC but a tiny bit delayed. this is also the right timing to not get blown up by cancel.

Yeah I think that's the key, doing it on reaction. I just got carried away with spamming b2,3 against Grundy because I started using it against him a couple days ago.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Dont zone because he can teleport into full combo. Bait those and punish.

If he knocks you down he owns you free, if you knock him down you own him free.

Ill go into more detail later lol
I only disagree with the part about him knocking you down.

Ill go into more detail later lol

So about that additional detail..... :)

I just went against a really good Ares and got my shit wrecked. His MB godsmack reset is so fucking good against Raven. You can wake up out of it for a full punish if he does the MB godsmack right after knocking you down, but he can delay it to stuff your wake up, which in that case it seems like you're only available option is to do a MB b3 which he can block.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
So about that additional detail..... :)

I just went against a really good Ares and got my shit wrecked. His MB godsmack reset is so fucking good against Raven. You can wake up out of it for a full punish if he does the MB godsmack right after knocking you down, but he can delay it to stuff your wake up, which in that case it seems like you're only available option is to do a MB b3 which he can block.
You can do mb b3. Mb godsmack still has recoveryframes, i can only block it if you time it wrong.
If you read that ares delays his godsmack, you can easily dash out of it or do mb b3 or neutral jump for full combo punish

You can do mb b3. Mb godsmack still has recoveryframes, i can only block it if you time it wrong.
If you read that ares delays his godsmack, you can easily dash out of it or do mb b3 or neutral jump for full combo punish

When I was in training mode messing around with it I had delayed the MB godsmack just enough to stuff Raven's wake-ups, and doing anything but mb b3 (dashing, waking-up, trying to jump) would get me hit, and Ares could block the mb b3. I'll mess around with it more later, maybe I was just timing the mb b3 wrong, but it seemed like the earliest I could do it was just barely in time to activate armor.

Btw I just noticed that you're (one of) the Ares I fought lol. ggs bro