What's new

Raiden Match Footage

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
lol, so NOW people are saying Raijin is the best variation, but when I talked about him being better than people think, months ago, they simply wouldn't even give him a chance.

How quickly people switch their views when Sonic Fox says anything...
It is funny, I believe its probably Raidens best variation at the end of the day but I dont see him being top 5. Sonic thinks everyone is S stier lol he said the same about kollector...

It is funny, I believe its probably Raidens best variation at the end of the day but I dont see him being top 5. Sonic thinks everyone is S stier lol he said the same about kollector...
yep! exactly! Sonic is kind of proving a point, emphasizing that people in the community should really just whine less and spend time training more. Everyone is viable if you put in the work. What matters most is skill, persistence and matchup knowledge.

I consider both Thunder Wave and Raijin equally good, just depends on your personal playstyle preference.

MKF30

yep! exactly! Sonic is kind of proving a point, emphasizing that people in the community should really just whine less and spend time training more. Everyone is viable if you put in the work. What matters most is skill, persistence and matchup knowledge.

I consider both Thunder Wave and Raijin equally good, just depends on your personal playstyle preference.
I have always stuck with TW because I feel his teleport is a BIG factor in his gameplay with mobility, getting out of tight situations, used for anti zoning, zoning, turtling etc, etc you can't really do this with his other two variations know what I mean? One thing that still pisses me off is his teleport is one of the most important things that makes Raiden...Raiden. Yet NRS took it away in 2 of his 3 variations. Notice, they didn't take away Scorps teleport in 2 of his 3 lol...I feel satisfied when I beat someone like Scorpion, Cassie, Jacqui, Jax, Sonya someone much higher than he is.

MKF30

It IS aggravating how apparently nothing about Raiden is iconic enough to be in his core set.
At least to the newer guys at NRS, but definitely a diss to Raiden's fans being a legacy, iconic MK character. I mean he's also pretty damn important to the entire mythos lol.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning

Raiden TW VS Sindel Splitting Hairs at the last set.
TW can really abuse his mobility and superior zoning to keep Sindel at bay, seem to be a very good way to deal with her since she has no projectile of her own to contest. Seems we can’t F4 after her F43 since she can easily backdash and Whiff punish

Mandolore1123

SonicFox VS Pluralmite, Raijin vs Raijin, and some Born Again Cetrion matches too. Pluralmite is the person who invented the safe jump tech. Pretty good Raiden player

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
The more matches i play with raiden the funnier the downplay gets.

RAIJIN OD

Shout outs to sonicfox

Mandolore1123

Cool matches but man mirror matches are like watching paint dry.
Whoops, meant to reply to this one. But yeah, Raijin’s strengths are evident. He solves all the safety problems Raiden has easily with one move and the best strings you use it with (F4, B12) have 0 flawless block gaps and reset neutral. This is the reason why Raijin is so good. Resetting neutral after every block string is super strong, especially with Raiden who has so many good mids to whiff punish with and threaten at mid range.

MKF30

Whoops, meant to reply to this one. But yeah, Raijin’s strengths are evident. He solves all the safety problems Raiden has easily with one move and the best strings you use it with (F4, B12) have 0 flawless block gaps and reset neutral. This is the reason why Raijin is so good. Resetting neutral after every block string is super strong, especially with Raiden who has so many good mids to whiff punish with and threaten at mid range.
Yeah I still enjoy his TW due to the teleport more but I get why Raijin is big now. He has a lot of good tools to work with, like you said though one of his weaknesses is without the teleport he gets zoned out this is how I deal with Rajin players but then I am a zoning player naturally lol and I like to move around lol. But one of my fav strings he has is 121, it's a KB on counter and it's fast besides of course his F32 which is safe and fast.

Mandolore1123

PI VS Bee Raijin VS SD Noob. Pretty good play all around. Makes me want to really practice the flawless blocks and the optimal combos for Raijin
Noob’s pokes are very good and it’s hard to contest up close, and given he has slide we still have to be careful at F4 range, so we don’t have the advantage there too. (Might even be slight disadvantage since F4 can get beat out by slide in neutral) We out damage him normally but SD’s burst damage off KBs is much better than ours. However we can limit his jumping teleports with DB2 and zone with BF1 and DB4 effectively because his full screen options are lacking. Up close we can rest neutral but we can’t really pressure/walk back after DF2 on block because of fear of reversal slide. We also can’t punish his AMP slide since it pushes him back and resets neutral for him too, though we can threaten with F4 the same way he threatens with slide after our DF2. I don’t think the MU is too bad but I’ve yet to play the MU myself so idk.

MKF30

Nice matches, I ran into 2 solid Raiden players tonight on the switch in TW same variation I like to use. One guy though OMG....we played a few matches, he was super laggy he was safe on everything I gave him my other characters he won some, I won some ironically I finished it off with the W in Raiden mirror which I hate mirrors but figured what the hell. Then this other dude also in KL, I took 2 out of three but the first I picked the wrong variation by accident I don't know how I won with LK's first Variation, I'm trying to do the teleport and like umm why isn't it working? lol I kept doing his stance, I think it thru him off because he wasn't teleporting and kept his distance. Then he beat me the second match, so I picked Sonya the third. I can't stand doing mirrors. lol

Mandolore1123

Fox is sticking with Raijin it seems. Playing against Kombat’s Geras (infinite warden). Not a lot of reversal discharge punished this time because Kombat never really went for 111/11sandtrap mix. The MU doesn’t seem too bad I suppose. We get out damaged but we can still sort of space out Geras in the mid range, but sand trap is a pain and neutral will be hard to play because of this. But full screen we can chip him out when we have buff on.

lol, so NOW people are saying Raijin is the best variation, but when I talked about him being better than people think, months ago, they simply wouldn't even give him a chance.

How quickly people switch their views when Sonic Fox says anything...
Not to be that guy but you're not even close to the only person who's been vouching for Raijin. It's not just because Sonic is playing it right now.

MKF30

Unshavens right though whenever sonic says something tons of people just drink it up and all of a sudden that character he seems "is s tier" gets suddenly more popular.

Not to be that guy but you're not even close to the only person who's been vouching for Raijin. It's not just because Sonic is playing it right now.
It's easy for people to forget now, but when I made my Raijin video guide over 4 months ago, the overall consensus BY far by most Youtubers, and people on the forums was that Raiden was bad, and only Thunder Wave was even viable. 90 percent of the community had completely written off Raijin early on because he didn't have a midscreen juggle, even though in my opinion he was still solid back then too.

The whole reason why I had uploaded a Raijin guide in the first place is because back then ALL of youtube Raiden strategy & kombo guides were only for Thunder Wave.

I had played thousands on matches on ranked, and very, very few were Raijins. Especially during the first 3 months. Most players i had fought against had often said things like "wtf, I never seen Raiden with those attacks", because... again, very few Raijins were active on Ranked.

I had even fought Dalphanate early on back when he would only use Thunder Wave; after we ran good back and forth sets, he admitted to me himself and said, "maybe Raijin is stronger than i thought. I might start using him more."

Lo and behold, shortly after that he started using Raijin many of his uploads.

At the end of the day, I'm happy that more people are using Raijin now. Both Thunder Wave and Raijin are solid in my opinion.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
@UnshavenRaven and im glad you stated this because thats what so stupid about this community. Instead of actually learning especially with a character they claim to love, they will look for any excuse not to lab at all so they can whine on a forum about tech. I picked raijen raiden and immediately knew why his frames were they way they are. But nope you have people on this website who have told me "I shouldnt have to play a character the way its meant to be played".

Mandolore1123

It's easy for people to forget now, but when I made my Raijin video guide over 4 months ago, the overall consensus BY far by most Youtubers, and people on the forums was that Raiden was bad, and only Thunder Wave was even viable. 90 percent of the community had completely written off Raijin early on because he didn't have a midscreen juggle, even though in my opinion he was still solid back then too.

The whole reason why I had uploaded a Raijin guide in the first place is because back then ALL of youtube Raiden strategy & kombo guides were only for Thunder Wave.

I had played thousands on matches on ranked, and very, very few were Raijins. Especially during the first 3 months. Most players i had fought against had often said things like "wtf, I never seen Raiden with those attacks", because... again, very few Raijins were active on Ranked.

I had even fought Dalphanate early on back when he would only use Thunder Wave; after we ran good back and forth sets, he admitted to me himself and said, "maybe Raijin is stronger than i thought. I might start using him more."

At the end of the day, I'm happy that more people are using Raijin now. Both Thunder Wave and Raijin are solid in my opinion.
Well even then you weren’t the only one talking about Raijin. Others on this forum were already discussing it before you posted your guide here. I distinctly remembering people discussing the possibility of punishing pokes with the old 4f discharge, and the discharge extension video was posted before your guide (at least on this site). I’m not trying to take away from your contribution, but you were not the only person who was trying to make Raijin work or trying to find tech before the patch.

I will admit that I only started seriously playing Raijin after the buffs. I did use him once, but I didn’t know how to make him work so I stuck to TW. However, even after the patch, people refuse to acknowledge that Raijin has been heavily buffed to be possibly the strongest variation that Raiden has now. Instead they simply complain about Raiden by stating wrong things like he has no mids or he has useless KBs. When someone points out that Raiden can now be completely safe and reset neutral after every block string in Raijin, they ignore it and instead focus on TW, asking for stupid buffs like making b12 safe and even worse, making storm cell safe or making F112 plus. This is the problem.

MKF30

Agreed. It's unfortunate his 3rd one kind of sucks though but I definitely think with patience and lots of practice raiden can be competitive with TW and Raijin. Not saying they're S tier or anything but offer tools he can work with it's just some work.

Mandolore1123

Rebel switches to Raijin in game 3, Aquaman goes between Ascension and Buluc. Raijin probably struggles a lot more with Buluc due to the nature of sunlight and the totems reducing damage Forcing Raijin to come in. The commentary really shows how little people actually know about Raiden and Raijin because so many people just say Raiden is “trash”