What's new

Putting Reptile's Dash in Perspective

For anyone who still complains about Reptile's dash read this.

There will be no downplaying, I'm just going to list some basic FACTS. Also I will not consider laggy online play. Also no one is saying it is not good, just putting things in perspective.
To start off putting Reptile's dash in perspective let's compare Reptile's dash to Kabal's dash.

Kabal:

Advantages

Regular Version

- cover the full screen
- starts a combo that leads to a standing reset
- is a wake up attack and therefore gets 11 frames of invincibility for being so
- can be canceled out of
- grants a significant amount of cancel advantage
- leads to to some of the best pressure in the game
- builds a significant amount of meter by doing so
- leads to a block infinite
- hits and combos airborne opponents
- can be used to combo off his projectiles
- can be used to dash out of the corner by some characters after a breaker
- leads to a standing reset
- free meter building while the opponent is in the spinning animation
- can lead to unbreakable damage
- great whiff punisher that leads to good damage and a standing reset

EX Version

- has armor
- gets more invincibility on wakeup
- can be used as parry leading to his highest damaging bnb
- can armor trough many strings

Disadvantages

- negative 31 on block that can be full combo punished
- 18 frame start up (not like that's awful just in comparison to reptile)

Reptile

Advantages
- covers approximately half the screen
- can be used in a combo to lead to average damage of off 1 of his string
- can be used to combo off his projectiles
- 6 frame start up
- less combo punishable by some of the cast
- the best whiff punisher in terms of speed
- can dash though strings

Ex Version
- leads to 23 percent mid screen or 17 % and a force ball on the screen for 1 bar (not a free force ball)
- when his back his facing it corner it leads to low to mid 40% damage

Disadvantages

- only does 11 damage
- can not be cancelled out of
- has no armor at all
- has no invincibility
- because it is not a wake up attack
- does not hit airborne opponents
- is still full combo punishable by most of the cast
- is a predetermined distance
- Ex version can be poked, armored and/or full combo punished
- can be broke out of
- always losses the "trade" damage wise

Edit
Also this is just talking about the dash. The other tools that Kabal has go together better with his dash more then reptile's other tools that go together with his dash. This why Kabal is the best char in the game.

As you can see the complaining about Reptile's dash is pretty stupid. If you want to complain a dash complain about Kabal's. In fact I think there is a thread for it.

http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/the-official-kabal-crybaby-thread.16693/

So if there are any more complaints about Reptile's dash it comes from pure ignorance and you are most likely a racist who has prejudiced hate towards the great Raptor race.

The only people who complain about Elbow Dash are free online players.

You'll never see a Reptile trying to abuse the speed of the dash to get free damage, and mindlessly barge in at high level because they know they'll be punished hard on block.

At the highest level the dash is a footsie tool, whiff punisher, mobility, and escape tool.

It's no need to make threads like these because those player don't understand the fundamentals of fighting games, what makes something OP, or broken.

It's a pretty balanced tool IMO.

Your lack of understanding of your own character is disgusting. Where are the matchup police when we need them?
Get the fuck out of here all I did was list basic facts. It is clear that Kabal's dash is significantly better then Reptile's. The only people who can't see fact are ignorant racist.

I've said it once and more then likely will say it many more times, you have to expect reptiles dash to punish it, its not an "on reaction" type of thing. Treat it like a read and you'll do just fine punishing it.

I've said it once and more then likely will say it many more times, you have to expect reptiles dash to punish it, its not an "on reaction" type of thing. Treat it like a read and you'll do just fine punishing it.
I don't see why not though, I've seen people in other game react to harder scenarios all the time. if you cant full combo punish you should be able to at least get an uppercut and win the damage trade.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
When you have a connection like mine (identical to the one in Frothy's sig), and main a character who can't win by just chipping like Johnny Cage, you come to hate the lizard.

When you have a connection like mine (identical to the one in Frothy's sig), and main a character who can't win by just chipping like Johnny Cage, you come to hate the lizard.
True but unless the game are near lagless I don't play. Which unfortunately are few and far between. Maybe if we had a better online the lizard would be less hated. (So much hate)

I don't see why not though, I've seen people in other game react to harder scenarios all the time. if you cant full combo punish you should be able to at least get an uppercut and win the damage trade.
Idk man, it all comes down who your using, sonya 114 cartwheel, kung Lao 21 spin. If you can't do it with a normal, just grab and cut your losses.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
True but unless the game are near lagless I don't play. Which unfortunately are few and far between. Maybe if we had a better online the lizard would be less hated. (So much hate)
Yeah, pretty much. The majority only hate him cause dash is unpunishable online, for the most part, and some online Reptiles like to punish Elbow Dash attempts with Elbow Dash, which is bs (*See first quote in sig*).

Reptile's dash and Kabal's dash are two completely different tools that are similar just because they are dashes.
Of course but there is no doubt that kabal has the better dash and the amount of hate reptile (and reptile player) get sometimes is ridiculous. Imagine the possibilities reptile would have if reptile had kabal's dash.

Of course but there is no doubt that kabal has the better dash and the amount of hate reptile (and reptile player) get sometimes is absorbed. Imagine the possibilities reptile would have if reptile had kabal's dash.
Reptile would be top tier if he had a dash that did what kabal did. Could you imagine ndc with reptile? I would cream in my pants dude lol

Reptile is still extremely high tier without it....
Without his Elbow Dash? How? He would lose a huge amount of damage from his 321 string. would not be able combo off force balls at certain distances. Would lose a great part of his mobility because his dash speed is the worst despite having the best walk speed.

Without his Elbow Dash? How? He would lose a huge amount of damage from his 321 string. would not be able combo off force balls at certain distances. Would lose a great part of his mobility because his dash speed is the worst despite having the best walk speed.
No, without Kabal's dash. Somebody mentioned trading them.

No, without Kabal's dash. Somebody mentioned trading them.
Oh that was me. Also in the OP I said "Also no one is saying it is not good". All Reptile players know it's good, It just no Kabal's and reptiles should not be getting this huge amount of hate over 1 move.

Any player with average reaction can punish Elbow Dash on block 90% of the time.

Games like SF leave you to punish a whiffed/blocked move with less than 10f in a lot of cases. a -15 punish is in no way hard to pull off.

On the other hand, the dash should always be in your mind, so when you see it you'll punish it.