What's new

Playing only Harley viable?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I doubt it, the counter picks in this game are (soap bar in my mouth). If your character loses 3-7 or even 4-6 to another character, good luck cause even a scrub has a good chance of winning.
I think you need to work on your matchups then. 4-6 is perfectly winnable. 7-3 is bad, but it's nowhere near a 8-2's struggle by far. If they fix the 7-3 matchups the game will be nearly perfect.

It's at worst a very mild exaggeration.

For 99%+ of players, it's true.
Mus decided by how your characters tools match against opponents. Sonicfox uses those tools moree efficiently than anybody, and has a higher lvl affinity for yomi. That being said if you are even at a semi competent lvl with your character you will be able to understand your characters tools and how they match up against your opponents.

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
I will say that if you want to main Harley and you don't mind having a less than stellar MU with Aquaman and Supergirl you should go for it. I think enjoyment is the most important part of playing any game and if you don't get salty about bad MUs easily it should be fine. I played only Harley for the vast majority of IGAU, never really got salty about her multitude of unfavorable MUs and saw no problem in only maining her for casual online play (although I did pick up KF in the end for Sinestro and Aquaman because I enjoyed her too and let's be real, those match ups were horrible for Harley).

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
My, aren't you observant. lol
:l:qtl;):qtr:r

Already was 99% sure, honestly just wanted you to reiterate, purely for my benefit.
Aint no better percentage than 100%

Back on topic, Harley Queen is very underrated. She is a very good character, but those bad matchups she struggles in she REALLY STRUGGLES, but its still possible to beat. All she needs is 1 person to represent her the best way like nobody else has, and she will be put on the map! Other characters have shown dominance in tounaments from...

Sub Zero
Scarecrow
Green Lantern
Green Arrow
Batman
Supes (both)

...and the list goes on and on EXCEPT....Harley is not on that list. AND there's been 2 balance patches out now yet she remains untoched, which means, NRS believes this character is good as is. Its about time she is represented as the Queen she is.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
:l:qtl;):qtr:r

Aint no better percentage than 100%

Back on topic, Harley Queen is very underrated. She is a very good character, but those bad matchups she struggles in she REALLY STRUGGLES, but its still possible to beat. All she needs is 1 person to represent her the best way like nobody else has, and she will be put on the map! Other characters have shown dominance in tounaments from...

Sub Zero
Scarecrow
Green Lantern
Green Arrow
Batman
Supes (both)

...and the list goes on and on EXCEPT....Harley is not on that list. AND there's been 2 balance patches out now yet she remains untoched, which means, NRS believes this character is good as is. Its about time she is represented as the Queen she is.
She's still got 11+ bad matchups

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Either drop her or do work, your time, your effort, you decide.
I mained characters with unwinnable matchups before. i2 is nowhere as bad.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Eh, I dunno.

So, MUs are typically decided at the highest level.. but MUs DO come in to play well below that level... The difference is, below that level there is a larger space to simply outplay your opponent. If I play a bad MU vs someone at or around my skill level, a lot of the time the struggle, on whichever side, is real.

Some MUs are only even, or losing, or winning, or whatever, at the highest level and play out far differently below that, but a lot more are very close to universally bad/good across skill levels. Any MU that tips into the 7/3 range is USUALLY awful from mid level on up. 6/4s not so much, but of course it depends on what makes that MU what it is. If a MU is 6/4 because the losing side has some extremely difficult to accomplish set of options that keep the MU from spiraling out of control then at the lower levels that MU is going to be VERY difficult.

Im just arguing semantics of course, and I fully understand that the REAL match-ups only matter at the highest levels of play. Just saying that there is room - and a point - to MU charts and concerns for players below that level. There isnt room to use them as excuses though. It just gives you an idea what you're competitive landscape will look like, in a generalized sense.

All that said and done, I still think unless you're trying to place in major tournaments or have something more serious than "I like playing fighting games and wanna be gud at them" at stake, then just play who you enjoy playing. If that's Harley and someone else, awesome. If you JUST enjoy Harley, or the other character you enjoy doesnt compliment her bad MUs, so what, play who ya wanna.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
Tiers and matchups only apply at the SonicFox level of gameplay.
So unless you're that good, don't worry much about it.
They still apply at low levels of play. Sometimes not as much but also sometimes even more.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
They still apply at low levels of play. Sometimes not as much but also sometimes even more.
I know what you mean but that's not tiers, that's just having better tools. Tiers come into play much later because of the power climb factor between individuals and their comprehension and skill.
At that level what applies is which player has better fundamentals and understanding of the other player's character, and not much else.
Similarly as a master athlete will be able to effortlessly perform all which an athlete whose physique and mental state aren't up there yet will struggle to accomplish.
It's easy to conclude that the ultimate potential of tools is only applicable to those whom do not have obstacles to their performance in the general practices of their trade.

And even so, tiers and matchups are one community's best guess. There is much hype in blowups where a formerly low tier character is represented at its highest level and suddenly revealed to be much better than formerly given credit for.

You need to understand that tiers and matchups shift and change, and constantly moping about this horseshit conditions low-skill players to just copy high level people without understanding what they do.
If somebody wants to main Harley, it's theirs to decide and the journey is well worth the struggle. Playing low tier is very good for a low level player because they will by no means draw the conclusion that their skill equals what character tools - as you well understand, since this is what you have mistaken for the tier debacle - grant them.
Low tier doesn't mean bad character either.
But it doesn't matter at below-top-64 level because we still have so much to learn and ultimately what matters is the exercise, and the fact that picking a character with mostly losing matchups trumps the carry effect where the player would unknowingly get away with nonsense simply because the character is stupid af.

Last edited: