What's new

Nitara MK1 Trailer (Voiced by Megan Fox)

That's the thing, though. WE see these characters as "3D era reps." People who came in with MK9 or those the general masses who will play MK1 just because "Oh hey yeah, Mortal Kombat" will see these characters as effectively entirely new characters. I don't see their inclusion being any sort of loss for NRS.

And honestly, considering how much of graphical, aesthetic, and gameplay design updates have been made to them, we can honestly consider them "new" in a way too.
Yeah. As much as I despise the 3D era and it's characters, in all fairness, NetherRealm does listen to their fans in terms of characters they want brought back.

Tremor was heavily requested during Mortal Kombat (2011), and he landed in Mortal Kombat X. Same with Tanya. Nitara, Havik, Reiko, they have been requested for a long while, and now they're here.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Just looked these over, and the data appears incomplete. Correct me if I've missed it, but the reviews seem only to take into account the console port sales and do not reflect the revenue generated by the arcade versions of the original games, the main versions of them. It also doesn't take into account the popularity of the franchise, the profits from films, comics, toys, etc.

Thus, this presents a skewed view.

As someone who was an adult during the 3D era, and who first hand remembers the talk and lack of hype around those games on forums, publications, media, etc., the reality of the time was very different than what these stats are showing.
Well, console sales can't really be compared to sales of arcade cabinets 1:1. If you want to do a strict comparison, you either need to compare to the ports, or to the console-only sales from other fighting games.

If you look more widely though, selling 2-3 million of a fighting game from 2002-2008 is a pretty big deal. I think Tekken 5 may be the only game that was in a bracket above that, mostly due to the insane popularity it has in countries outside of the US.

And as far as movies, I think that doesn't really go with the quality of the game. Mortal Kombat 9 was hugely successful, and there was no movie to go with it, etc. So the 3d games weren't reboot-level successful, but they did fine in keeping the franchise selling on their own.

Well, console sales can't really be compared to sales of arcade cabinets 1:1. If you want to do a strict comparison, you either need to compare to the ports, or to the console only sales from other fighting games.
Yet comparing the performance of the original arcade games is a big part of the original experience. The arcade era and 3D era had different markets, but the overall franchise was hugely more popular and successful during the arcade era.

Mortal Kombat 9 was hugely successful, and there was no movie to go with it, etc.
Mortal Kombat (1992) and Mortal Kombat II were hugely successful, and had no movie to go with them either. The first film came out around Mortal Kombat 3. The point is during the arcade era, movies and other media were being made because the franchise was that big and that popular. This was not the case during the 3D era. It is once again the case during the NetherRealm Studios games.

... but they did fine in keeping the franchise selling on their own.
Of course they did, but they were still the low point of the franchise.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There was indeed a past debate about it, but there actually is an objectively right answer. Mortal Kombat 4 is not a 3D era game. It is a 3D game in the sense that it uses a 3D engine, but not a part of the 3D era of Mortal Kombat. Boon himself groups it in with the arcade era.

All of the NetherRealm Studios Mortal Kombat games are 3D games, using 3D graphics engines, but are not 3D era.
That’s not what a 3D fighting game means. A 3D fighting game is one where you can virtually move in 3 dimensions, aka basically in all directions. You cannot do that in any NRS games. NRS games are more like 2.5 D fighting games, but play more traditionally like 2D fighters and are considered as such.

Anyway, the reason Boon likely says that is because all they did with MK4 is essentially put MK3/UMK3/MKT’s base gameplay inside a 3D engine (and even that was done poorly). Like there’s even still RJ’s, KJ’s and even GJ’s in MK4 (iirc). They didn’t really know what they were doing and everything about it was much different than what they had been doing for the past 5-7 years or so. So anyway, MK4 was definitely a “3D fighting game”, even if it was a poorly designed one. Also, one of the defining factors of a fighting game being “3D” is the side step, and this was definitely present in MK4. But again, even that was poorly executed.

Basically, since with MK4 they didn’t really know what they were doing and a lot of it was poorly executed, so much so that it doesn’t feel like any of the MK games that came before it, or any of the ones that came after it, it’s typically regarded as its own thing (along with MKG which is intrinsically the same game). But with that said, that still doesn’t mean it wasn’t a “3D fighting game”. The only argument is whether or not it was a 3D era MK game. And that’s what people disagree on. Some say it was an arcade era game, some say it was a 3D era game, some say it falls into both categories, and some say it doesn’t really fall into either category and it’s its own thing entirely. Me personally, I don’t really care. It doesn’t really matter and doesn’t change whether or not it was a 3D fighting game or not.

Also, what Boon has to say about the technical side of things, and honestly, really what he has to say in general about his games, should be taken with a grain of salt. Most people know this by now, lol. I mean, he had no idea (and likely still doesn’t know) that Kara Jabs and GJ’s were in every main numbered MK game up until Deadly Alliance. Which to be fair he wasn’t the only one. But there’s plenty of examples of Boon not being the most reliable person when it comes to explaining, or understanding, his own games which is incredibly confusing since he’s the fkn co-creator of Mortal Kombat.

But anyway, hope that helps clear things up!

Anyway, the reason Boon likely says that is because all they did with MK4 is essentially put MK3/UMK3/MKT’s base gameplay inside a 3D engine (and even that was done poorly).
Also, what Boon has to say about the technical side of things, and honestly, really what he has to say in general about his games, should be taken with a grain of salt. Most people know this by now, lol. I mean, he had no idea (and likely still doesn’t know) that Kara Jabs and GJ’s were in every main numbered MK game up until Deadly Alliance. Which to be fair he wasn’t the only one. But there’s plenty of examples of Boon not being the most reliable person when it comes to explaining, or understanding, his own games which is incredibly confusing since he’s the fkn co-creator of Mortal Kombat.
While I do understand what you're saying, note you are speculating, and justifying with the above.

There is a factual and objective answer as to whether the game is part of the 3D era, and which characters are 3D era characters. Mortal Kombat 4 is an arcade era game, and Reiko and Tanya are not 3D era characters. This is fact, not opinion.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
While I do understand what you're saying, note you are speculating, and justifying with the above.

There is a factual and objective answer as to whether the game is part of the 3D era, and which characters are 3D era characters. Mortal Kombat 4 is an arcade era game, and Reiko and Tanya are not 3D era characters. This is fact, not opinion.
MK4 not being apart of the “3D MK era” is not a “fact”. Like I said, it can fall into both the “Arcade era” and the “3D MK era” as it was both a 3D MK game and an Arcade game. And again as I said, some don’t consider it to fall into either category and see it as it’s own thing. Also, most people consider MK4 characters that were new to MK as “3D era characters”.

It’s fine if you are in the “MK4 was not a 3D era game” camp. But saying it’s a “fact” is incorrect. It is your opinion, which again, there’s nothing wrong with that.

Meghan Fox is a great actress, but voice acting is its own beast and the dialog from that trailer wasn't great.

JCVD is kinda the exception here because he's literally playing himself.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I'm worried slightly that the 3D era representation in this game will cause it to under sell. I'm not convinced anyone other than diehards care about Havik, Li Mei and Ashrah. At least we have guest characters to draw new fans into the game.
I don't know if this is anything to worry about - I would suggest the opposite is true.

Each MK has multiple new characters. For those that were not around for the 3D era, Ashrah, Li Mei, Havik etc are basically new characters, so it would not really affect sales. The addition of the updated 3D characters is actually a selling point to those that enjoyed those games. They chose the most popular ones too, so it may even bring a small portion of people back back.

I do not think the vast majority of people care about the addition of 3D era characters, apart from a small proportion of overinvested haters who are butthurt that their character did not make it. These are all MK fanatics anyway and will buy the game regardless.

If anything, I see it as a smart move by NRS.

Technically Kenshi is also a 3d-era character, so I guess that gives us 5 :cool:

But I can understand how some people see him differently since he's been with us in the modern era.
Not technically - literally! Kenshi being a 3D character is not debatable.

Cicada 5

Noob
Yet comparing the performance of the original arcade games is a big part of the original experience. The arcade era and 3D era had different markets, but the overall franchise was hugely more popular and successful during the arcade era.

Mortal Kombat (1992) and Mortal Kombat II were hugely successful, and had no movie to go with them either. The first film came out around Mortal Kombat 3. The point is during the arcade era, movies and other media were being made because the franchise was that big and that popular. This was not the case during the 3D era. It is once again the case during the NetherRealm Studios games.

Of course they did, but they were still the low point of the franchise.
The 3D era had at least three critically acclaimed games and one with a mixed reception that all sold well.

The decade prior had a failed movie sequel, two heavily panned tv shows, a mainline game with a lukewarm at best reception and two hated spinoffs. The 3D era was not the low point.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This is a lunge special she has. Do y'all think it's a mid or high?
Hard to say tbh. But she definitely seems like she’s gonna be a dangerous character and finally another female character I actually want to use in this game. Most of the other female characters I haven’t really been a fan of their gameplay (or their design overall). Ashrah, Sindel and Nitara are the only ones that seem super interesting and fun to use imo, and maybe Tanya. But then again, there’s only 7 female characters in the base roster, so 3 out of 7 isn’t too bad, and it could be 4 out of 7 if I like Tanya once I get my hands on her (giggity)

A lot of people say Megan Fox's voicing is terrible and worse in the story mode and intro dialogues. Her voice acting is not bad to me. It's not completely her fault, it's WB or the Voice Director. I think it's audio production and post production. Maybe it sounds just like they added her last minute and slapped raw audio in the game. She sounds she wasn't a big fan of Nitara, she wanted to be Kitana.

Art Lean

Noob
A lot of people say Megan Fox's voicing is terrible and worse in the story mode and intro dialogues. Her voice acting is not bad to me. It's not completely her fault, it's WB or the Voice Director. I think it's audio production and post production. Maybe it sounds just like they added her last minute and slapped raw audio in the game. She sounds she wasn't a big fan of Nitara, she wanted to be Kitana.
I'm imagining a Nitara with Skarlet's MK11 voice and it's the most perfectly perfect thing that was ever perfect.

It's so perfect that she belongs half naked on a Cradle of Filth album cover, wallowing in a bathtub filled with Peter Cushing's blood, whilst Elizabeth Bathory enviously brushes her fangs for her.

Unfortunately, we got...

"So like, whatever, I'm like, totally a vampire 'n' stuff"

Last edited: