What's new

Mortal Kombat HD Kollection was a real project *Proof now from Ed Boon*

Tim Static

Adminerator
Ok, I had teased this a while back on twitter, and I even "released" these pics in another thread recently, but now its time to archive the proof I have that what eventually turned into MK Arcade Kollection was supposed to be 3 Hi Def remakes of the the first 3 original arcade Mortal Kombat's.

First I'll repost some of the first pictures that were found about the project. I think most of you remember these pics:

Ok, so now that you are caught up, here are the pics I dug up recently over the last year or so:

**UPDATED 1-12-13** Also, adding these, thanks to C-Sword who posted them in a thread HERE

As you can see, the MK HD Kollection was a real project. It was never finished and why will stay a secret. But lets just hope that they just leave those 3 games alone, and just focus instead on remaking MKT instead, bringing it to 2012 and giving it the love it never got as it was a poorly made game and quick project that should have been the King of Old School MK.

So there you go. :coffee:

BIOZ

Noob
Instead of working on this, they should have just focused on giving us the original classics, made arcade perfect and lag free.
Jason lol. "F_ckin Classics Man! Arcade Perfect!! Shit, Get it Right!" :D I agree
This looked good tho. The task was probably just too large. I mean, they couldn't really get the basic ports correct.
What a waste.

So MK1 background, MK2 Lui Kang, MK3 Sonya, new actors but old sprites next to healthbars.
oh... and don't forget MK9 healthbars, timer and Fight Font.:confused:
Lui doesn't seem to look that bad but Kerri Hoskins is way better looking then this Sonya.
Also the height of the actors are wrong.
And what happened to Sonya's right hand?

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
The TRMK version was way better and would have been free, sadly NRS sent them the "cease and desist" letter.

This picture is obviously a mock up. the author of this pic took the real liu mk2 "hd", same with MK3 sonya but the courtyard is from the unnofical HD mugen project.

I'm waiting for an official explanation of why they cancelled it.
A good source told me that they spent 12000 US$, and then another 8000 and the results does not satisfy WB to put more money on the table.
Same source told me that Ed said: "Only John Tobias can make these games..."

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Since this will never see the light of day maybe NRS could let us buy MK Arcade Kollection on our next gen consoles to make up for it :D

Tim Static

Adminerator
Yikes. With screencaps like that, it's pretty obvious why it didn't happen.
yea, i mean, i don't know if this shot is even real or something he found that made him want to make that tweet, but gross.
Iunno man, that doesn't look half bad especially for something that probably wasn't even super far along.
lol it looks awful man, mock up or not.
I would approve that if the roster was equal to MK Trilogy along with all the mechanics including brutality. If only they could nerf the classics damage a little, this would live for another generation.
Thus why they should just totally redo MKT. A game like that should have been the greatest 2d ever, but it was lame. Still is fun to play no doubt, tho the N64 & PSX ports are completely different from each other.
You made me cry with this post...
tell us about it. (i made this post 3 & 1/2 years ago lol)
The TRMK version was way better and would have been free, sadly NRS sent them the "cease and desist" letter.
It just looks wrong, they shouldve just done HD drawins of the actors like those TRMK guys did. MK2 Kang with MK3 Sonya? Da fuq? The heights look all wrong too.
aldazo & MM: I dunno, i mean those guys had some good looking stuff but that was about it. imo
This picture is obviously a mock up. the author of this pic took the real liu mk2 "hd", same with MK3 sonya but the courtyard is from the unnofical HD mugen project.

I'm waiting for an official explanation of why they cancelled it.
A good source told me that they spent 12000 US$, and then another 8000 and the results does not satisfy WB to put more money on the table.
Same source told me that Ed said: "Only John Tobias can make these games..."
probably, but this shot is hideous either way, so whenever Ed stumbled upon it, it reminded him of why the actual project failed.
Since this will never see the light of day maybe NRS could let us buy MK Arcade Kollection on our next gen consoles to make up for it :D
meh, if you got a pc, you can run the best versions of each arcade MK, including the new versions of MK2 & UMK3. Besides, the MKAK is all kinds of fucked up.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Also, having Ed Boon officially acknowledge the existence of this project in public is crazy. Again i made this thread 3 & 1/2 years ago to a lot of skepticism of it's actual existence.

The project was cancelled because it looked & played awfully. There was no way NRS could approve it in the state it was in before it was even finished to be released, ever.

And my info were, and are, inside sources from NRS itself. Former & current. :coffee:

Solignac

Noob
Maybe it was for the best. In the wrong hands, it could've turned into Death Cargo 2.0. Something about HD updates on sprites like theses in a 2D fighting game feels wrong. Like those 3DO fighting games that made me want to die.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
yea, i mean, i don't know if this shot is even real or something he found that made him want to make that tweet, but gross.

lol it looks awful man, mock up or not.

Thus why they should just totally redo MKT. A game like that should have been the greatest 2d ever, but it was lame. Still is fun to play no doubt, tho the N64 & PSX ports are completely different from each other.

tell us about it. (i made this post 3 & 1/2 years ago lol)

aldazo & MM: I dunno, i mean those guys had some good looking stuff but that was about it. imo

probably, but this shot is hideous either way, so whenever Ed stumbled upon it, it reminded him of why the actual project failed.

meh, if you got a pc, you can run the best versions of each arcade MK, including the new versions of MK2 & UMK3. Besides, the MKAK is all kinds of fucked up.
Can they be played online against other people?