What's new

MKX Comic Plot Discussion & Speculation Thread

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
33 was not the best way to end this.
But if you look at the comic as a whole, you'd think Kotal Kahn alone was the protagonist.

Some unanswered questions I've got.
Why was Shinnok's amulet in Reiko's brain? Secondly, why was Skarlet allied with Reiko and Havik? And is there any closure for Sub-Zero?

But if you look at the comic as a whole, you'd think Kotal Kahn alone was the protagonist.

Why was Shinnok's amulet in Reiko's brain? Secondly, why was Skarlet allied with Reiko and Havik? And is there any closure for Sub-Zero?
There's more issues lol

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
At least one more if not three (can't remember if I heard 34 or 36 for the series run).

the first one I believe is because they needed to have a host to unify the kamidagous (sp). The other two I don't know.

Also apologies for forgetting the spoiler tag. I was trying to make it vague but... Yeah.

Ninjaguy446

all I have is the Green
Not really a spoiler but
it makes me so sad how Ermac abandoned Mileena. He was a very powerful ally to have and was irreplaceable. Perhaps if he had stayed by Mileena's side, she would still be alive. Plus, it looked like she was about to cry when he told her :(

LeoMK29

Noob
The Ermac and Mileena situation is confusing. He just now left their alliance, but that's not how it happened in the game. Shawn also said Baraka was dead during this time, but again Baraka died during that throw-down b/w Mileena and Kotal, which is also when Ermac betrayed Mileena :confused:

Ninjaguy446

all I have is the Green
The Ermac and Mileena situation is confusing. He just now left their alliance, but that's not how it happened in the game. Shawn also said Baraka was dead during this time, but again Baraka died during that throw-down b/w Mileena and Kotal, which is also when Ermac betrayed Mileena :confused:
It looked like in the comic's depiction of when Kotal usurped the throne from Mileena, Ermac wasn't there to betray Mileena, so I'm guessing he stayed with her. Either that, or he betrayed her, came back, and now betrayed her again.

haketh

Noob
I wouldn't be surprised if Shawn got the barest of timeline of events for the comic

Kintaro's death was fucking stupid. What was the point of even having him in the comic if he does nothing but form an alliance with Kotal Kahn? The only good thing about this chapter is that Drahmin is back, but he's most likely going to be killed next issue because Kittelsen has a raging hard-on for Scorpion. I also liked that it's revealed Havik received help from Daegon.

These comics are seriously starting to piss me off though. The stupid character decisions, the uncertainty of whether or not they will even matter for the next game and the different artists are just killing it for me. The art in this issue was god awful, the colors were wrong on almost every character, Reptile's blood is red, ugh. I just want it to be over already.

KuralKing

Never forget The Great Ferra/Torr Scare!
Oh Boy , who knew :D
So that's it for havik? 32 editions of teasing to end like that poof, and don't even get me started on that Kintaro death scene
. fuck sonya, as if i didn't have enough hate for her blond bitch ass!
If drahmin puts up a fight more than Havik i don't even know what ill do!

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
Not really a spoiler but
it makes me so sad how Ermac abandoned Mileena. He was a very powerful ally to have and was irreplaceable. Perhaps if he had stayed by Mileena's side, she would still be alive. Plus, it looked like she was about to cry when he told her :(
My main was PISSED. She just got dissed and deserted by one of her strongest allies, is there anyone left to support her? Sadly, I was expecting this, they just won't give my main her day. I know she's a "villain" but she's been fucked over way too many times in MKX.

These comics are seriously starting to piss me off though. The stupid character decisions, the uncertainty of whether or not they will even matter for the next game and the different artists are just killing it for me. The art in this issue was god awful, the colors were wrong on almost every character, Reptile's blood is red, ugh. I just want it to be over already.
I agree. I feel like Kittlesen finally played the game and saw how his story was straying from it and is scrambling to rectify that. I don't understand the different artist thing, was it just a matter of releasing them relatively quickly? It was off putting in the volume collection.

Next entry, they should just involve him in early with the story development for the game and then lock it down so that the comics will complement the next game as a prequel instead of becoming an alternate telling of it altogether.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82

It would seem like all that transpired was just an elaborate plot to summon Shinnok's amulet in the first place; this was all just a single step on a greater path. Havik said that Rieko was just a vessel for a real god, so It would seem that Shinnok is in actuality the Blood God, and his amulet is just a small part of his power. This just speculation mind you since the comic didn't explain anything in detail, but that would make sense to me if this was the case. Also this all leads me to believe that this has something to do with the One Being as well, but that is pretty far out there, and they haven't mentioned him/it at all.

Secondly, Reiko is/was being played up as a master manipulator. He was Shao Kahn right hand for a long time, and as such he had much sway in his hierarchy with all the other troops/factions. When Shao died though, before Mileena assumed the mantle, Reiko he was going to perform hara-kiri but Havik changed his mind. After that point, Reiko wormed his way into Mileena's heart to use her, and seemingly also used Skarlet's emotions for his own means (Skarlet says Reiko empowered her, and she also states that she's as much Shao's daughter as Mileena was. This may or may not be something Reiko put into her mind).

So yeah, Havik allied with Reiko because he saw him as a pawn for a greater scheme (Havik is an insanely high level manipulator, on the level of Quan Chi IMO), where Skarlet was just easily manipulated by Reiko for his own gains.

And, closure for Subzero? What do you mean? Last we saw of Subzero, Bo Rai Cho had found him and nursed him back to health. They were then going to hang out with each other (go drinking at Bo Rai Cho's behest), and apparently go to find Raiden some time after to get Subzero's "owed favor". Subzero's story in regards to this whole arch is seemingly done.

Onilordasmodeus

My main was PISSED. She just got dissed and deserted by one of her strongest allies, is there anyone left to support her? Sadly, I was expecting this, they just won't give my main her day. I know she's a "villain" but she's been fucked over way too many times in MKX.
Mileena still has many potential allies, they just haven't introduced yet in the comic. Rain, Tanya, Baraka (though someone in the thread said he was already dead...which makes no sense), they all may be on her team in the coming future. Plus whatever characters that weren't in the MKX game. Characters like the centaurs are a great example, as they could be a great ally.

I agree. I feel like Kittlesen finally played the game and saw how his story was straying from it and is scrambling to rectify that. I don't understand the different artist thing, was it just a matter of releasing them relatively quickly? It was off putting in the volume collection.

Next entry, they should just involve him in early with the story development for the game and then lock it down so that the comics will complement the next game as a prequel instead of becoming an alternate telling of it altogether.
There was different art for precisely the reason you gave, they needed to produce the comics quickly, thus they each comic was given to a different artist. This apparently is a common thing in comics, though I really wish they had bounced around to artist who at least had similar styles, and not some who used paint by number styles. Soy is the best artist who was on the project IMO, and he was only tapped twice IIRC.

And Kittleson said he was in on the script from the beginning, but yeah, the comic itself makes it seem like that wasn't the case. I want to re-watch the MKX story mode, and then re-read the whole comic to see what I've forgotten or missed just so that I can look at everything in context again. I want to believe that there are no plot holes, but yeah, we will see.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
It would seem like all that transpired was just an elaborate plot to summon Shinnok's amulet in the first place; this was all just a single step on a greater path. Havik said that Rieko was just a vessel for a real god, so It would seem that Shinnok is in actuality the Blood God, and his amulet is just a small part of his power. This just speculation mind you since the comic didn't explain anything in detail, but that would make sense to me if this was the case. Also this all leads me to believe that this has something to do with the One Being as well, but that is pretty far out there, and they haven't mentioned him/it at all.

Secondly, Reiko is/was being played up as a master manipulator. He was Shao Kahn right hand for a long time, and as such he had much sway in his hierarchy with all the other troops/factions. When Shao died though, before Mileena assumed the mantle, Reiko he was going to perform hara-kiri but Havik changed his mind. After that point, Reiko wormed his way into Mileena's heart to use her, and seemingly also used Skarlet's emotions for his own means (Skarlet says Reiko empowered her, and she also states that she's as much Shao's daughter as Mileena was. This may or may not be something Reiko put into her mind).

So yeah, Havik allied with Reiko because he saw him as a pawn for a greater scheme (Havik is an insanely high level manipulator, on the level of Quan Chi IMO), where Skarlet was just easily manipulated by Reiko for his own gains.

And, closure for Subzero? What do you mean? Last we saw of Subzero, Bo Rai Cho had found him and nursed him back to health. They were then going to hang out with each other (go drinking at Bo Rai Cho's behest), and apparently go to find Raiden some time after to get Subzero's "owed favor". Subzero's story in regards to this whole arch is seemingly done.
Speaking of Skarlet trying to come for my main:
Skarlet wishes she was considered Shao Kahn's daughter. Unlike her strangerbitch ass, Shao recognized Mileena as his daughter meanwhile Skarlet is Ermac status (a tool). If she counts then Ermac is his son too (Damn, Mileena's got a volatile relationship with her "siblings").

Ninjaguy446

all I have is the Green
Mileena still has many potential allies, they just haven't introduced yet in the comic. Rain, Tanya, Baraka (though someone in the thread said he was already dead...which makes no sense), they all may be on her team in the coming future. Plus whatever characters that weren't in the MKX game. Characters like the centaurs are a great example, as they could be a great ally.

There was different art for precisely the reason you gave, they needed to produce the comics quickly, thus they each comic was given to a different artist. This apparently is a common thing in comics, though I really wish they had bounced around to artist who at least had similar styles, and not some who used paint by number styles. Soy is the best artist who was on the project IMO, and he was only tapped twice IIRC.

And Kittleson said he was in on the script from the beginning, but yeah, the comic itself makes it seem like that wasn't the case. I want to re-watch the MKX story mode, and then re-read the whole comic to see what I've forgotten or missed just so that I can look at everything in context again. I want to believe that there are no plot holes, but yeah, we will see.
Baraka died when D'Vorah killed him during Kotal's coup. Presumably the same thing happened in the comics.

Onilordasmodeus

:'(

you had my hopes up for a second.
Lol! I had my hopes up too. This last chapter was indeed a disappoint. When it started I was like WTF? And then it kept going and I couldn't shake the thought that "this is it?" I was thoroughly unhappy with the pay off. I want to go back through and re-read the series though, just to get this portion of the story in more context because that just wasn't a complete chapter, it was an addendum to the previous chapter.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.

Now, what are the cyborg ninjas doing while this is going on? Can the story be moved to there?

Onilordasmodeus

Baraka died when D'Vorah killed him during Kotal's coup. Presumably the same thing happened in the comics.
MKX's story is somewhat all jumbled in my head. I forget there were flashbacks and such peppered throughout the story mode, so with all the time jumps and such, I haven't really sat and tried to make sense of everything.

So, Baraka died in a flash back? And that takes place chronologically before the comic?

What else am I missing? (this is a prime example of why I want to go back and re-watch / read everything)

Onilordasmodeus

Now, what are the cyborg ninjas doing while this is going on? Can the story be moved to there?
Sektor is dead. Smoke regained his "human" form and is now Enenra. Cyber Sub is Subzero again. Cyrax is the only up in the air ATM I think. I kind of hope Cyrax still joins the Special Forces.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Sektor is dead. Smoke regained his "human" form and is now Enenra. Cyber Sub is Subzero again. Cyrax is the only up in the air ATM I think. I kind of hope Cyrax still joins the Special Forces.
Cyborgs can always be rebuilt.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Nah it was confirmed by Shawn Kittelsen that
Cyrax is also dead, or whatever this ambiguousness means https://twitter.com/kittelsen/status/590195955284123650

Also I'm going to update the OP right goddamn now because I'm an idiot who can't do what he's supposed to straight away.

ETA: Hopefully less than an hour, can't remember how many I've got to update.

Onilordasmodeus

Cyborgs can always be rebuilt.
Well, technically. I mean, at this point in the comic story, I'd assume that Sektor is still the head of the Lin Kuei, so he's still kicking around. I'm sure / hope that Sub will get an arch that shows him taking down Sektor, and thus taking control of the Lin Kuei, so you may get your wish on that one to some degree.