What's new

MKX Arcade Machine Project

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Awesome work!

This is just a nitpick, but the K on the side of the cabinet (kabinet?) is upside down. Did a quick flip in photoshop so you can see what i mean:

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Got the machine fully wired up (except for the control panel, that's going to be tomorrow) and working great. I installed a set of 2.1 computer speakers with a subwoofer. I cut the wires to the speakers that came with the set and threw the speakers away. I spliced their wires in with the cabinet's existing speakers because they are so much better and ran the volume control to behind the coin door.

Got everything mounted and secured down. I am using an original arcade power supply to power the coin door lights and the VGA to CGA converter. I installed a power strip to power the PS4, the audio system and the HDMI to VGA converter. I also decided to install a 25" Wells Gardner K7400 monitor instead of the 24.8" Makvision that I was planning on using because since I'm using CGA instead of VGA to run to the monitor, I can use a full 25" monitor instead of the 24.8" one. Trust me, it's a big difference.

I'm also utilizing the cabinet's original wiring to supply voltage to the monitor, power supply and and power strip. The only thing I had to splice into the original cabinet wiring was the power strip. I simply used a spare 115vac connection.

Anyway, here are the pics. Thanks for looking and stay tuned for the control panel build tomorrow and the finalization of the machine!...

YourMKArcadeSource

The control panel build is complete! Still need to wire it all up, but the construction and assembly is done. I had to modify the CPO to say "Start/Options" because it turns out that I will need an "Options" button because that took the place of the "Start" button, so as you can see from the first two pictures, I soldered some wires to the appropriate connections and tested it out. It's good to go. I'll be running it to the Start/Options button. I can also hear some of you saying "Wow, that's a lot of white." True, but I bought those buttons/sticks when I was still planning on using the original fan art CPO of Smoke. I'll change them out to a different color if there's too much negative feedback on them.

Also, I bought "MLB 2014" to test out the controls when I get them wired up but I went ahead and put the disc in the PS4 to see if it displayed in 4:3 without being cut off or display in letterbox. Success! The game plays full screen with no cropping and looks great! I'll post some pics of that later, so it's VERY hopeful that MKX will display the same. Worst case scenario, I'll change the monitor to an LCD if MKX ends up not being viable with a CRT.

Stay tuned!!

YourMKArcadeSource

MLB The Show 2014 displaying in 4:3 full screen, non-letterbox with no cropping. The image is very crisp and clear with no issues. Still may end up going the LCD route in the end, but for now, this looks pretty damn good...(make sure to watch in HD)...Also, I played a few innings and there is no discernible lag at all that I can detect...

This is one of the most creative projects I have seen in a long time. Absolutely amazing craftsmanship, this is truly a lost art. The white accents make the cabinet pop. I'm 100% behind your decision to go with white and black.... just stunning. I can tell by your Kombat Kave your a hardcore fan. this project needs to be in a gaming magazine.

YourMKArcadeSource

This is one of the most creative projects I have seen in a long time. Absolutely amazing craftsmanship, this is truly a lost art. The white accents make the cabinet pop. I'm 100% behind your decision to go with white and black.... just stunning. I can tell by your Kombat Kave your a hardcore fan. this project needs to be in a gaming magazine.
Thanks for the kind words!

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Dood thats a lot of money invested in all those arcade machines! Do you sell them or make any profit of it? Im just wondering if it doesn't hurt spanding that much money thats all.

YourMKArcadeSource

Dood thats a lot of money invested in all those arcade machines! Do you sell them or make any profit of it? Im just wondering if it doesn't hurt spanding that much money thats all.
It's not as much as you think. They aren't that expensive...the originals that is. Now the customs cabinets I've done (MK9/MKX/IGAU), those were a bit more expensive, but hey, it's only money. I have a good job with no wife/kids (that I know of), so I have more than enough disposable income.

;)

YourMKArcadeSource

The decision has been made to change the monitor from the CRT to an LED. While the image is great for the CRT, the deciding factor was that the game icons are so small (because they are meant for HD), you really can't read them at all at 480p on a CRT. I was able to get away with using a CRT for my MK9 and Injustice projects because the PS3 outputs Component video at 1080p that the Component to VGA converter can convert to VGA without quality loss. The image may only be 480p, but I swear it still looks like 1080p. There is no visible quality loss on the MK9 and Injustice monitors.

The MKX is a different story because it's outputting HDMI only, which is digital and has to be converted to analog, via a converter, then to CGA via another converter and the quality loss is too great. Again, the image looks crisp and clear, but the little details are lost. I found what I consider a great monitor. It's a 27" LED Acer computer monitor. It has an HDMI input so I can connect it directly to the PS4. I got it mounted and installed in the machine with relative ease. I needed to have it flush up against the glass, which required modifying the original bezel rests on the sides of the cabinet because the monitor is 24.5" wide and the cabinet is 25" side. I couldn't fit the monitor between them. It's no big deal though. It turned out great.

I also was able to perform some surgery on a spare bezel along with the original CRT bezel that was on the machine to make a custom bezel for the new LED monitor. It looks really clean and has a 'factory' feel to it since it's the original bezel material/plastic.

Overall, I am much more happy with the LED monitor versus the CRT. I just couldn't make the CRT work and be happy with it. Having the signal from the PS4 go through TWO converters and then to lower the intended resolution was just too much. Anyway, here are some pics. Opinions are always welcome!