What's new

MK1 Development Cycle

Jason Shearer

Kombatologist
In an attempt to pin-point MK1's development cycle, I'm putting together a pseudo time frame given by various sources. This is what I have so far:

• 10 months [Deseret News, The (Salt Lake City, UT) - April 19, 1994]
• 10 months [Official Nintendo Magazine - July 6, 2007]
• 8 months [Electronic Gaming Monthly #239, p.35 - Summer 2010]
• 5 months [Shacknews - September 29, 2005]

10 months is the most given answer thus far, but I'm looking for more sources.

I was just thinking about this, trying to find more info about a recent bootleg purchase I realized that Proto 4.0 was only days away from Proto 8 - which is impressive if they kept that kind of schedule.

Skizelli said:
In an attempt to pin-point MK1's development cycle, I'm putting together a pseudo time frame given by various sources. This is what I have so far:

Mortal Kombat 1 on PS2

Skizelli said:

jamessmk

I am your god
I worked on the home ports. They had taken about 8 months. The arcade was closer to a 1 year to 1 1/2 years

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
I would love it if they had made an OST CD for the Sega Genesis version. The music was better than the arcade/SNES version by far.
I have all the loops on my computer. I should probably edit them and put in the KO jingle. Each stage had its own if I recall correctly.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
The audio quality/crispness/instrument samples or whatever you want to call it may not be better than the arcade versions...but the Sega Genesis remixes have such better composition. It's really music you can jam to, which makes it better than the Arcade version to me.

Compare The Pit, The Courtyard, The Warriors Shrine, and maybe even Goro's Lair for the best examples.
But wait, I'll post links to mp3's instead since most youtube videos use terrible emulators that aren't accurate to what the game sounds like on a Stereo TV connected to a real Sega Genesis via composite cables.

Tim Static

Adminerator
The audio quality/crispness/instrument samples or whatever you want to call it may not be better than the arcade versions...but the Sega Genesis remixes have such better composition. It's really music you can jam to, which makes it better than the Arcade version to me.

Compare The Pit, The Courtyard, The Warriors Shrine, and maybe even Goro's Lair for the best examples.
But wait, I'll post links to mp3's instead since most youtube videos use terrible emulators that aren't accurate to what the game sounds like on a Stereo TV connected to a real Sega Genesis via composite cables.
I have them on MP3 and listened to them on long road trips. I like the Genesis versions, dont get me wrong, but they dont compare in any way to the OG tracks imo.