What's new

Question - Sun God Maybe Picking up Kotal Kahn Sun God for main

TrueX88

Noob
What are his Pros/Cons. Is he a fun Character?? should i just wait till Triborg or the new d/c characters come out?

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Fun? He's practically orgasmic.

Pros:
1) Ridiculously high damage output
2) Footsies galore
3) Safe, fast-advancing mids
4) Specials that artificially build health and meter
5) Some of the best pokes in the game
6) Command grab and corresponding tick throws that are feared
7) Routinely makes his opponents kneel
8) Coolest Brutality in the game.

Cons:

1) Despite parry, can still struggle with competent zoning
2) No traditional, fast projectile

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
Con i would like to add is if you try to tick throw your opponent and they make the read so they take the hit, the command grab will whiff and it has a stupid amount of recovery but it makes sense as it does amazing damage

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
another thing i wanna add is that his main strings, back1,2,2 is punishable, not sure about back1,2. I know back 1 is safe. Back,4 his mixup ) is -8 i think but it can lead into a tick throw

Con i would like to add is if you try to tick throw your opponent and they make the read so they take the hit, the command grab will whiff and it has a stupid amount of recovery but it makes sense as it does amazing damage
did he get touched in the command grab buff for kp2 ?

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
another thing i wanna add is that his main strings, back1,2,2 is punishable, not sure about back1,2. I know back 1 is safe. Back,4 his mixup ) is -8 i think but it can lead into a tick throw
You can make b122 safe by doing air throw can't you? I thought that made him plus

He's glorious. He has all the tools you need to succeed. Sure, some people have better weapons but trust your reads, convert for big damage and never forget to put them on their knees. You'll be fine.

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
You can make b122 safe by doing air throw can't you? I thought that made him plus
no, only things the air grab makes plus on block is s4 and 114. Doing air throw after b122, b12, b14, etc. doesn't make them safer strings. And in the case of b12 it makes it actually less safe. Be careful, air grab is not a get out of jail free card for offense.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
no, only things the air grab makes plus on block is s4 and 114. Doing air throw after b122, b12, b14, etc. doesn't make them safer strings. And in the case of b12 it makes it actually less safe. Be careful, air grab is not a get out of jail free card for offense.
Alright, that is good to know for this match up. I keep getting scared shitless of all of kotal and respecting all his strings since I thought air grab made him plus

Darth_Peachez

In the UK with a US PS4. Fuck me, right?
With the new patch for SG you can EXdb2 (Sun God Choke) and it won't whiff following b1 or b14 if they take the hit. You can also follow with the db2 on b1 or b14 if they block... If that didn't make sense check this thread. YOMI REO posted a video explaining it. http://testyourmight.com/threads/kotal-kahn-general-discussion.50059/page-54#post-2025522

Darth_Peachez

In the UK with a US PS4. Fuck me, right?
yea his main combo string is punishable
Whatchu mean? 212 and 114 are both safe on block... And 114 is his main combo string. A lot of people opt to use the b122 because it's an advancing string, but a good Kotal player won't necessarily finish that tring with the opponent blocking unless they're going to make it safe.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
What are his Pros/Cons. Is he a fun Character?? should i just wait till Triborg or the new d/c characters come out?
Welcome to the brotherhood...

I learned by watching high level players, mostly Quark from here. I loved his play-style and I picked up most of my tech watching him.

The tech I can give you is this...

Before every F2, you must let the controller go neutral. He's like a Tekken character in this respect. You can link 4 of them if you get it down, but then you'll have to learn how to run cancel to keep his combos going. If you don't want to do that, use the F2 once or twice in combos and use his 21SunThrow to end and his F2 to EX Slam or F43EXSunDisc to keep things going.

The problem is against good players who use good keep away characters, like GM Sub, BS Shinnok, and FF Liu Kang. From a distance, all you really have is his J1. Now that's great, but they only have to block high. Everything else is smoke and mirrors. With Blood God, you have tomes to buy time. With Sun God, you have his Sun Ray - and you need it out - but that won't be enough against good players who know how to keep you out.

So, you have to practice his Parry and you have to know when to EX it. It goes unsaid that your blocking skills need to be immaculate.

Good luck...

Last edited: