What's new

Match-up Discussion Kung Lao vs Sonya

coolwhip

Noob
if they respect your delay 3 because they arent sure whether they can beat your tele 3 fast enough and they dont want to risk losing 43% they will block the tele delay 3. some players like to wait for your 1121 follow up and uppercut you in between strings because that is sometimes possible in that situation, dont know why. I always go for tele 3 21 combo since you cant uppercut in between 21 and it is faster and more damaging, havent seen anyone else use 21 after tele delay 3 and dont know why.

after tele 3 on block you can still go for safe chip damage against most characters because youre still a little at + after tele delay 3. so what I like to do is after the tele delay 3 is a jumpkick divekick over the opponent for free chip against most characters.

there is no need to go for teleport unless its a tele 3 or tele 2 into combo in most situations though, instant teleport doesnt give you the reward for the risk youre taking.
D1 beats 21 after a delayed tele 3 on block though, which is why I said in my earlier post that d1 beats anything with the exception of spin after a delayed 3. I believe it was Pig Of The Hut who tested this extensively on his stream.

D1 beats 21 after a delayed tele 3 on block though, which is why I said in my earlier post that d1 beats anything with the exception of spin after a delayed 3. I believe it was Pig Of The Hut who tested this extensively on his stream.
d1 will always beat standing 2 unless kung lao is at +18 or more. it is frustrating to get poked out of your pressure but its really nothing when you think about it, they block a tele 3 you will have dealt 2% damage they hit you with a d1 it is 2%. its not a big deal unless

its a d3,d4 or uppercut. d1 doesnt give them anything. even d3 on hit is not that much of a reward for a lot of characters, cage is one of the characters who can follow up a d3.

an uppercut does 12% damage but it is also the riskiest option for some reason it is sometimes really easy to guess when people are oing for an uppercut, just duck it and fuck them up.

d4 is a problem. it grants 12+ frames for a lot of characters you will have to deal with their pressure with this poke on hit.

btw characters need a d1 with a good hitbox to be able to hit kung lao mid air if they do a jumpkick divekick point blank. if you test this on kenshi his d1 will whiff, smoke however has a great d1 and will hit kung lao out off the air into full combo.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Honestly, the best advice to help deal with kung Laos supposed bad match ups, or 5-5's is to fight his mirror match as much you can.

Find someone who is good with him fundamentally, and learn to use his tools in moderation. Then when you get a chance to exploit even one thing he can't do in a mirror match, then go for it, such as dive kick whiffing, low hats on block, rolling under wake ups, mashing 21 21 21 21 or even teleporting like crazy on opponents that either cannot punish it or hard enough because the trade is worth it.

This helps 100%.