What's new

General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
Don't forget d3 is godlike as well
yeh d3 is good cause it covers the most range out of all his pokes, and opens up for a b321 follow up, if they try to counterpoke they'll get hit by it most of the time, but i still prefer d1 cause it's quicker and d4 cause it jails for f2 and it covers almost the same amount of distance, d4 is also quicker then d3

zabugi

The only Real Master
ive been playing tempest lao for the past week now but i cant seem to ever get the f23 df1 input. not talking about whiffing.... any help dudes

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
Don't know if this has been answered but i noticed that if you do ex hat into run 11 you can make it have no hole if you do it fast enough. Does anyone know how to consistently do this because I don't know when input the run so I only get it like 10% of the time.

Pygmy_Potato

BF4+FF+BLK
Plenty of Lao players know and go for the sweep combo. But it usually doesn't work on those who know the match-up because Lao loses his combo-able overhead while the hat is spinning around him so opponents are often blocking low in those situations.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
What are an opponent's options vs KL's teleport with orbiting hat out?

I play deceptive reptile and imposter shinnok. Typically, as reptile, I block the hat then armor through the follow up, but was wondering what other options I have? In particular, am interested in meterless options. D2 can work at times, but if the hat happens to hit on the way up, I eat a combo. Otherwise i try to block the hat/j3 and backdash but that doesn't do any damage / isn't that great. Do i just have to hold this?

How about as Shinnok? I don't think ex shouldering through the follow up is worth the meter, given how meter starved imposter is, and again d2 seems inconsistent.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
How good are their back dashes? Reptile can maybe back dash and slide punish on reaction. Not sure about shinnok though. He has a great d2 though

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Hey everyone I need some help in the kung Lao MU I've taken him to the lab to practice fighting against his pressure but since I'm not a Lao main I Dont know the most optimal ways to pressure with him and actually fighting a person not just a dummy set to record is totally different.

so I'm coming in here to ask anyone who is on xbox to run some sets with me and help me learn the MU more my gt is xXxR1ddleMeTh1s

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Wasn't sure where I should post this but I guess this will do.

Okay so I know some Lao players know Alien's OH flip can be punished with meterless spin but they usually only follow up with the barebones JK~DK, 21, which leaves quite a bit of damage on the table.

Since this is pretty much the only situation where you would use spin before hat spin in Tempest, this is what I came up with:

There may potentially be a bit more damage potential from this and may also be useful for other moves that are -7/-8 on block that leave themselves right in Lao's grill but I can't think of any lol.

TheGoldenJew

PSN: The_Golden_Jew1
Wasn't sure where I should post this but I guess this will do.

Okay so I know some Lao players know Alien's OH flip can be punished with meterless spin but they usually only follow up with the barebones JK~DK, 21, which leaves quite a bit of damage on the table.

Since this is pretty much the only situation where you would use spin before hat spin in Tempest, this is what I came up with:

There may potentially be a bit more damage potential from this and may also be useful for other moves that are -7/-8 on block that leave themselves right in Lao's grill but I can't think of any lol.
imo its better to knockdown so u can set hat up for armor break as opposed to using it in combo...i usually do spin-divekick-b321-hat or spin-divekick-21- hat..

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
imo its better to knockdown so u can set hat up for armor break as opposed to using it in combo...i usually do spin-divekick-b321-hat or spin-divekick-21- hat..
afer every hat combo you always have the hat aviable for the set up... if you look at the video you can see it

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Quick question folks.. Looking to learn some Lao and try to rekindle my interest in MKX.. After looking around, I found 11million Lao combos, but im not sure how to parse them exactly..

So, to the Tempest Lao players out there, what are the absolute, must know BnBs a new Lao player should learn first and foremost. And also, just so its out there, my execution sucks. I dont mind to grind these combos and really learn them but I would prefer to default to consistent damage/execution vs max damage but super difficult.. So if any of his primary combos have potato versions that only sacrifice a little damage for ease of execution, please let me know.

Anyway guys, any advice would be really appreciated. I've always wanted to learn Lao and am hoping to get a list of practice shit together. Thanks!