What's new

Combo List - Kotal Kahn Kahnbos for Kotal. How to punch gooder and Kotal your way to greatness. (Under construction)

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
DISCLAIMER - THIS THREAD IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE REPORT ANY ERRORS, BE THEY GRAMMAR OR MISINFORMATION OR ANYTHING IN BETWEEN, TO ME IMMEDIATELY AND I WILL EDIT THE POST ACCORDINGLY. I WILL HAVE MADE MISTAKES. PLEASE HELP ME FIND AND CORRECT THEM.

The thread is a work in progress. If you have anything you would like to submit, PLEASE contact me or post in the replys and I will get it added as soon as possible. If something is hard to read or the formatting is ugly, let me know. I'd like this thread to be as solid as we can make it, so please dont hesitate to make any suggestions, point out any errors or submit any new content.

Kahnbos for Kotal! How to punch gooder and Kotal your way to greatness. (Under contruction)

Please see second post in this thread for links to additional Kotal Kahn information and relevant guides. I highly recommend these resources. Combos aren't everything.

Introduction and notes on formatting.

This thread will contain primarily information about Kotal Kahn combos, but as I find more information I will also be adding sections on Totems and Choke setups in his Blood or Sun God variation. I wouldn't mind adding some *BASIC* info on MUs per variation as well. Nothing fancy, no numbers, no heavy tech, there is a place for all that, but a small blurb for each variation that notes any *very* favorable or unfavorable match-ups, to aid new players in learning and understanding Kotal a little better.

If you have something to contribute to this thread, PLEASE do not hesitate to post in the replys and tag me or message me directly. I will review your post, ask the opinion of the others more experienced than myself (if required) and add it to the OP with full credit given - assuming the information warrants being added of course. If you post a video, PLEASE include notations for the combos performed in the video, the description of the video, or most preferably, in the post the video is linked in. We all know that we can watch the video and translate what you've done, but its a pain and we have many users on Mobile, where it can be much more difficult. For extremely new players this is also very off-putting. The focus of threads like this are to consolidate known information and make it readily accessible and easily understood by anyone - from a new player right down to a seasoned pro looking for new tech.

Formatting will be kept simple. We will use basic numerical notation If you post a combo in the replies here, it would be appreciated if you followed the formatting rules set here, but its not required, just make it understandable. If the information is added to the OP, I will format the combos to match the others.

(I yoinked this from @Pan1cMode)

ATTACKS
1 – front punch (fp): square on PS4, X on Xbone
2 – back punch (bp): triangle on PS4, Y on Xbone
3 – front kick (fk): X on PS3, A on Xbone
4 – back kick (bk): Circle on PS4, B on Xbone

DIRECTIONS
u - UP
d - DOWN
b – BACK (away from opponent)
f - FORWARD (towards opponent)

JUMPS
j - jump
ji – jump in (Jump towards opponent)
nj - neutral jump (Jump directly up)
njp – neutral jump punch (neutral jump + 1/2)

OTHERS
xx – cancel
(ex) – indicates EX version of a special
(MB) - indicates a MB version of a special/move
RC – indicates a run (ff+block)
THRW - indicates a throw (L1 on PS4, Left Bumper on Xbone)
, - end of string/normal/special
> - end of string/normal/special
+ - indicates button pressed at same time

So, an example would be:

F2, F2, B14 xx (ex)DF1, B14 xx DF1 (40%).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Universal Strings, Juggles and Important Normals.

I would LOVE to add frame data, but am unsure of how accurate in-game data is. If anyone has *accurate* frame data, please let me know and I will add it along with full credit.

*F2 - Mid, 9% - Juggles, can be juggled in to itself up to twice. Forward advancing.
*D1 - Mid, 2% - 6 frame crouching mid attack. Very fast. Extremely important.
B4 - Low 7% - Sweep. Knockdown, decent range.
*B2 - OH 9% - Forward advancing. Hops over some low attacks. Decently quick. Nice move in neutral.
*B1 - Mid 3% - 9f Forward advancing mid attack. Decent range, decent speed, important to Kotal for a number of reasons.
*D4 - Low 3% - 6f? In-game frame data says 6F. Dunno about that, but a very fast low poke with good range and the ability to low profile some moves.
F1 - Mid, 3% - Forward advancing. By itself it performs a similar function to B1, but is generally inferior to B1. Included just 'cause.
F4 - Mid, 9% - Typically bad normal. I included it because its funny to get the killing blow with a boot to da face.

*11 - High/Mid, 5%
*114 - High/Mid/Mid, 11%
*B12 - Mid/Mid, 6%
- Forward Advancing.
*B122 - Mid/Mid/OH 12% - Forward Advancing. - Ends in Knockdown
*B14 - Mid/Low, 8% - Forward Advancing.
*F12 - Mid/Mid, 11%
*F1B2 - Mid/Mid, 8%
- Juggles, can be juggled into itself. - Forward Advancing.
21 - High/Mid 6%
2B2
- High/Low 10% - Ends in Knockdown. Doesn't Combo.
212 - High/Mid/OH 12% - Ends in Knockdown. Doesn't Combo.
B32 - Mid/Mid 14% - Ends in Knockdown. Doesn't Combo. Forward Advancing.
F34 - Low/Mid 12%

*Indicates oft-used and important strings and normals.

War God

This is the least damaging of Kotal's variations, but like everything else Kotal does it still hits like a truck. In this variation he gains specials revolving around his big ass sword. This variation has his best armor and has the most potential for mix-ups. Its also fun to hit people with that big ass sword. The sound effect is wicked.

A note for new(er) players: Pretty much anywhere in a combo that you see b14, it can be substituted for B12 for ease of execution, at the cost of 1-2% damage per B14 replaced. It is highly recommended to eventually learn the combos using B14, but for a new player, B12 may be easier until you are more comfortable with the game, and/or Kotal in general.

Also, Kotal needs meter for any significant combos. The lack of listed meter-less combos is due to this. It is generally believed that instead of fishing for max meter-less damage, meter-less combos should be designed to perform specific purposes. Ie, corner carry, totem or choke setups, etc.

Additionally, many of Kotal's combos are similar across variations, if you don't see something you're looking for check the other variations. Chances are good you can adapt those combos over to use on your preferred variation with a little effort and thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

(Combos, inputs and %'s submitted by @mattnin @Name v.5.0 @SwagMountains @Braindead @Karnage @DelSchokoladenSaft @Iced_Taz , some being adapted for use Sun God by @EntropicByDesign)

Air to Air / NJP BnBs.

- NJP, f2, f2, b14 xx db1
- 1, f2, f2, f1b2 xx df2

Situational Mid Screen BnBs.

- b14 xx DF2
- f2, f2, f2, b14 xx df1 *Feel free to reduce number of F2's to reduce difficulty.
- f1b2, f1b2 xx df2
- f1b2, f1b2, b14 xx df1
- f1b2, f2, f2, f1b2 xx df2
- b12 xx df1

Mid Screen One Bar BnBs.

- b14 (ex)db1, f2, b122 xx db1 *You can also end with f1b2 df2 or blood sacrifice after b122)
- b14 (ex)db1, f2, f2, f1b2 xx db1 (39%)
- f2, f2, f2, b14 xx (ex)df1, b122 xx db1 [or f1b2 xx df2] *Feel free to reduce number of F2's to reduce difficulty.
- f2, jp1, f2, b14 xx (ex)df1, b122 xx db1
- b12 xx (ex)df1, F2, b14 xx df1
- f1b2, b14 xx (ex)df1, f1b2 xx df2
- 114 xx (ex)df1, F2, b14 xx df1
- (ex)db1, f2, f1b2 xx df2 (Anonymous submission)

Corner One Bar BnBs.

- f2, f2, f2, f2, 114 xx (ex)df1, f1b2 xx df2 *Feel free to reduce number of F2's to reduce difficulty.
- B122 xx (ex)df1, f2, Throw
- F34 (ex)df1, f2, b14 xx df1

Mid Screen Two Bar BnBs.

- f2, f2, f2, b14 xx (ex)df1, f1b2 xx (ex)db3 (sword quake OTG always hits) *Feel free to reduce number of F2's to reduce difficulty.
- 114 xx (ex)df1, F2, F1b2 xx (ex)db3

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun God

Kotal gets an unblock-able choke in this variation that builds charges each time its landed. Up to 3. Each charge increases the choke damage, up to a hefty 19%. These charges can then be spent to heal yourself or gain meter. This variation is mind-game heavy and makes for some interesting guessing games. The grab has solid range and when EX'd has armor. Not the strongest armor, but its nice to have.

A note for new(er) players: Pretty much anywhere in a combo that you see b14, it can be substituted for B12 for ease of execution, at the cost of 1-2% damage ber B14 replaced. It is highly recommended to eventually learn the combos using B14, but for a new player, B12 may be easier until you are more comfortable with the game, and/or Kotal in general.

Additionally, many of Kotal's combos are similar across variations, if you dont see something you're looking for check the other variations. Chances are good you can adapt those combos over to use on your prefferred variation with a little effort and thought.

(Combos, inputs and %'s submitted by @mattnin @Name v.5.0 @SwagMountains @Braindead @Karnage @DelSchokoladenSaft @Iced_Taz , some being adapted for use Sun God by @EntropicByDesign)

Choke Tick Throws

- b1
- d1
-d3
- d4
- b14
- Any JIk

Air to Air / NJP BnBs.

- JiP, F2, F2, B14 xx DF1(EX), B14 xx DB2
- NJP, JiP, F2, F2, B14 xx DB2
- NJP, JiP, F2, F2, B14 xx DF1(EX), B14 xx DB2

Situational and Meterless Mid Screen BnBs.

- f2, 1, f12
- f2, 1, f2, b14 xx df1
- f2, ji1, f2, f2, b122, xx L3 db2 40%
- f2, f2, ji1, f2, b14, xx L3 db2 39%
- f2, f2, 1, f2, b14, xx L3 db2 40%
- f1b2, f1b2 xx (ex)df1, b14 xx df1
- f1b2, 1, f2, b14 xx db2
- b122/f1b2 xx db2

Mid Screen One Bar BnBs.

- 114 xx (ex)df1, f2, b14 xx db2
- b12 xx (ex)df1, f2, b14 xx db2
- f1b2, b14 xx (ex)df1, f2, b14 xx db2
- f2, f2, f2, b14 xx (ex)df1, b14 xx db2 *Feel free to remove one f2 to reduce difficulty.
- f2, f2, 3 xx (ex)df1, f2, b14 xx Lvl. 3 db2 48% @DelSchokoladenSaft

Corner Meterless and 1 Bar BnBs.

- f2, f2, f2, 1, 1, 114 xx db2
- b122/b14 xx (ex)df3, d1, 114, db2
- b14 xx (ex)df3, d1x8, d4, db2 *Feel free to reduce number of D1's to reduce difficulty.
- 114 xx (ex)df1, d2, d1, b14, db2
- 114 xx (ex)df1, d2, d1, d2
- 114 xx (ex)df1, d2, d1, 114, db2

Corner 2 Bar BnBs.

- b14/b122 xx (ex)df3, d1, 114 xx (ex)df1, b14 xx db2
- b14/b122 xx (ex)df3, f1b2 xx (ex)df3, b14 xx db2

Corner 3 Bar BnBs.

- b14 xx (ex)df3, f1b2 xx (ex)df3, b14 xx (ex)df1, f1b2 xx db2
- b14 xx (ex)df3, f1b2 xx (ex)df3, 114 xx (ex)df1, b14 xx db2

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Blood God

Very interesting variation. In this variation Kotal can drop Totems to produce various effects. Crystal increases his damage, Obsidian reduces damage taken and Blood will deplete your opponents super on hit and when it times out you get health and super back. Crystal and Obsidian remain until they time out, Blood last until you are hit, or it times out naturally. No armor in this variation though, so you're open to heavy pressure.

A note for new(er) players: Pretty much anywhere in a combo that you see b14, it can be substituted for B12 for ease of execution, at the cost of 1-2% damage ber B14 replaced. It is highly recommended to eventually learn the combos using B14, but for a new player, B12 may be easier until you are more comfortable with the game, and/or Kotal in general.

Also, Kotal needs meter for any significant combos. The lack of listed meter-less combos is due to this. It is generally believed that instead of fishing for max meter-less damage, meter-less combos should be designed to perform specific purposes. Ie, corner carry, totem or choke setups, etc.

Additionally, many of Kotal's combos are similar across variations, if you don't see something you're looking for check the other variations. Chances are good you can adapt those combos over to use on your preferred variation with a little effort and thought.

Situational and Meterless Mid Screen BnBs.

- f2, 1, f12
- f2, 1, f2, b14 xx df1
- f1b2, f1b2 xx (ex)df1, b14 xx df1
- f1b2, f2, f2, b14 xx df1
- f1b2, f1b2, b14 xx df1
- 114 [or B12] xx df1

Mid Screen Totem Summon BnBs
(DB1 can be substituted for totem of your choice, but be aware of lower damage)

- f1b2 xx db1, b14 xx df1 (25%)
- f1b2 xx db1, b14 xx (ex)df1, f2, d2 (44%)
- f1b2 xx db1, b14 xx (ex)df1, f2, b14 xx df1 (46%)

Mid Screen 1 Bar BnBs.

- 114/b12 xx (ex)df1, f2, b14 xx df1 40/34%
- b12 xx (ex)df1, f2, b14 xx df1 34%
- f1b2 xx db1, b14 xx (ex)df1, f2, b14 xx df1 46%
- f1b2, f2, f2, b14 xx (ex)df1, b14 xx df1 *Difficult.
- f1b2, f1b2, b14 xx (ex)df1, b14 xx df1
- f2, f2, f2, b14 xx (ex)df1, b14 xx df1 43%

Corner 1 Bar BnBs.

- b122/b14 xx (ex)df3, d1, 114, df1 40%
- b14 xx (ex)df3, d1x8, d4, df1 41% *Feel free to reduce number of D1's to reduce difficulty.
- 114 xx (ex)df1, d2, d1, b14, df1 41%
- 114 xx (ex)df1, d2, d1, d2 40%
- 114, ex df1, d2, d1, 114, df1 43%

Corner 2 Bar BnBs.

- b14/b122 xx (ex)df3, d1, 114 xx (ex)df1, b14 xx df1 52%
- b14/b122 xx (ex)df3, f1b2 xx (ex)df3, b14 xx df1 51%

Corner 3 Bar BnBs.

- b14 xx (ex)df3, f1b2 xx (ex)df3, b14 xx (ex)df1, f1b2 xx df1 61%

Please notify me, or a moderator if you locate any errors or issues or outdated information.

Last edited:

EntropicByDesign

Additional Kotal Resources.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-post-patch-b1-metagame.55720/ @Qwark28 - EXCELLENT Post and a must-read for anyone looking to learn Kotal.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/list-of-the-entire-casts-overhead-low-sword-punishes.53700/ @Qwark28 - Thread on War God Sword Punishes.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/f2-safety-list.52763/ @Qwark28 - F2 Safety list.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/sun-god-choke-lets-put-em-all-to-sleep-videos-and-discussion.51288/ @LeeVanDam - Discussion and information on Sun God Choke.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/parry-everything-well-almost-everything.55802/ @AK L0rdoftheFLY - Discussion and information on Kotals Parry.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/kotal-kahn-video-thread.52854/ - Video thread. Great place to see Kotal in action.

List of notable Kotal's coming soon.

Last edited:

EntropicByDesign

There she be. Rough draft, but polished enough to be posted, just we HAVE a thread posted. Hopefully by having it there it will attract more submissions. Would a mod, or anyone out there mind to make a post with some @'s to members of the Kotal community? Lets see if we can bring in some more info and tech. I'd love to add sub-sections on totem and choke setups.

I will edit the second post to link to some of the excellent information we posted in other threads.

EntropicByDesign

Yes, I will be steadily adding combos as people submit them. I myself do not play those variations much, and am not able to contribute a whole lot to them personally. There are quite a few options posted now though, and they should be more than enough to get you started. I know I see all the normal, oft-used combos for all variations currently posted.

mike2039

Banned
but will you add more combos in all his varitatios;; soon;; i mean;;

all the combos which are now posted will be only this;;

because now there are few options this i mean;

Last edited by a moderator:

DavS13

Noob
For blood god, if you aren't going to use (ex) df1 so you can throw them back in the corner you should always end in throw then summon totem. For example, b14, (ex)df3, d1,d1,d1, throw, totem summon.

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
great, can we just stick to optimal offline combos

these are what i use, may need tweaking, but these are definately practical and good damage.
MIDSCREEN – most combos after ex airthrow you can f2, d2

114 airthrow (20%) 26% w/ totem

B12 airthrow / totem (14%) 19% w/ totem

F1b2 f2 f2 b14 airthrow (strict timing) (30%) 39% w/ totem

F1b2 f1b2 b14 airthrow (24%) 32% w/ totem

F1b2, f2, f2, b14 ex airthrow b14 airthrow(38%) (50% w/ totem) (hard) 1 bar

F1b2 f1b2 b14 ex airthrow b14 airthrow (33%) (44% w/ totem) (easy) 1 bar

F2, f2, f2, b14 ex airthrow b14 airthrow (43%)(57% w/ totem) 1 bar

F2, f2, f2, b14 ex air throw, f2, d2 (45%)(60%) without f2 before d2 (40%)(55%)

114 ex airthrow, f2, b14 air throw (40%)(53%) 1 bar

B12 ex air throw, f2, b14 air throw (34%)(46%)

MIDSCREEN SUMMON DAMAGE TOTEM BNB

F1b2xxdb1 b14 airthrow (25%)

F1b2xdb1 b14 ex airthrow, f2, d2 (44%)

F1b2xdb1 b14 ex airthrow, f2, b14x air throw (46%)

MIDSCREEN HEALTH GAIN BNB

Blood Totem summoned

F2, f2, f2, throw (31%) 7.63% health - meterless

F1b2, f2, f2 throw (27%) 6.72% health – meterless (hard)

F1b2, f1b2 throw (21%) 5.21 health gain – meterless (easy)

F2, f2, f2, b14 ex airthrow throw – (40%) 10.03% health gain 1 bar

F2, f2, f2, b14 ex airthrow, b14 airthrow (43%) 10.69% health gain 1 bar

F1b1 f1b2 b14 ex airthrow b14 airthrow (33%) 8.29% health gain 1 bar

B1b2, f2, f2, b14 ex airthrow b14 airthrow (38%) 9.47% health gain 1 bar

114 ex airthrow, f2 throw ( 36%) 9.05% health gain

Blood totem summon mid combo – meterless not worth doing and not guaranteed

F1b2xdb3 b14 ex airthrow f2 throw (34%) 1 Bar / Gain 6% health

@EntropicByDesign

Last edited:

Karnage

only blood god, just switch ender to command grab for sun god. no corner combos in there though

E

Eldriken

Perfect timing on this since I just picked up Sun God yesterday.

I've got a lot of work to do with him, but I brought him into ranked and did fairly decent. Even got some hatemail already, lololol. But Kotal is really effin' fun. Holy shit.

I have a question about b14 xx (ex)df3, d1x8, d4, db2, however. Eight d1s are possible with this in the corner? I can only manage to get 3 in before gravity makes anything else pretty much whiff. Do I just have to mash it out like crazy or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

mattnin

Noob
I never said the combos I posted were optimal. Thanks Karnage for posting optimal combos. If anyone else has his optimal combos, please post them so we can have them added/updated!

Karnage

I never said the combos I posted were optimal. Thanks Karnage for posting optimal combos. If anyone else has his optimal combos, please post them so we can have them added/updated!
wasn't an attack my friend...dont take it the wrong way. i only really play offline so i just want combos that i can hit 100% of the time, take a little less damage but be able to do it consistently is the main thing.

Rearawt

Noob

I've got a lot of work to do with him, but I brought him into ranked and did fairly decent. Even got some hatemail already, lololol. But Kotal is really effin' fun. Holy shit.

I have a question about b14 xx (ex)df3, d1x8, d4, db2, however. Eight d1s are possible with this in the corner? I can only manage to get 3 in before gravity makes anything else pretty much whiff. Do I just have to mash it out like crazy or something?
I think it's more timing than mashing. I do one as soon as I see their character reach the apex of the juggle.
I can only get in 5-6 so far, but I try to continue with 114 after that. Could probably get more in with just the 4

Also, yeah, Kotal is hella fun

mattnin

Noob

Yes, 8 are possible, maybe even 9! Mash it out like crazy works but slowing down and getting the d1 timing is better and even faster than mashing it out.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Air to air is always left out. I use the combos below for Sun God. I dont think they're 100% optimal, but to me they are easiest to pull off. (Edit: at work so I dont have the damage in front of me)

Meterless:
NJP, Jip, F2, F2, B14~DB2
A2A JiP, F2, F2, B14~DB2

Metered:
NJP, JiP, F2, F2, B14~DF1(EX), B14~DB2
A2A JiP, F2, F2, B14~DF1(EX), B14~DB2

mattnin

Noob
I should also point out and mention that the 114 corner combos I posted are meant for when Kotal is cornered and facing out and under attack. So when trapped in the corner, these are very good high damage combos that you can use to get yourself out and should definitely be part of your bnb collection.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I've been messing around with some semi-practical, really swaggy looking shit for Kotal in the corner. I'm not home so I don't know the damage but I remember the inputs:

War God - B+1,4~EX D,B+1, D+2 (they will fly over the top of your head), B+1,4~EX D,F+1, D+2 (must do this uppercut immediately otherwise they won't float over again), D+4~D,F+1

2 uppercuts in one Kotal combo and it's really not that difficult. I hit it consistently now.

I have some fun shit for Blood God as well, but I'm having trouble remembering exactly what the inputs were. I just recently picked up Blood God after maining War God since April. I'll post the rest later.