What's new

Johnny Cage 3rd tournament variation

Error404

Noob
The new tournament variation for Johnny will feature fixed arching forceballs , and rising star.

From the stream footage we can see that, low forceball will always hit standing opponents , and provide you with a mid projectile from half-screen onwards. On the topic of "pressure" , well , forceball pressure has always been awful in MK11 , so who cares really.

Rising star is amazing. Anti-airs for combos , extends corner combos, gives safe extensions to your strings. It could probably extend NP KB combos further , though I haven't labbed it.

D1 into safe special that can't be jabbed is incredible . It will further improve post NP pressure and let you get away with D1 throw.

Overall , I think this will be either his best variation , or at the very least be on parr with Show Stopper. Shock Jock will probably eat shit forever after MK2 Johnny drops.

What do you think?

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Currently rising star whiffs on block if they block standing f344 or 244 and you will get full combo punished before you can amplify.

We do not know the new frame data for low arc fireball. Now it's -22, if they haven't changed it you can't use it in blockstrings.

From the video it looks like amplifying low fb on block might throw the ex one over their head even at point blank, making it useless.

Also on stream they never ducked the fireball. Cassie might still be able to crouch block it at it's highest ark.

We can't tell until the patch hits. It will need some extensive testing.

Error404

Noob
Yeah , we'll see. Maybe up fireball ex will be better upclose. Low fireball ex will probably be plus from further range. I can see ending a combo in shadow kick and doing ex forceball , forceball for 4,5% chip.

Nice, I'm glad someone made this thread. I know it's pointless to lab Outtake until tomorrow but is there any other way to extend RS combos in the corner other than off of B2?

B2, S2 or F2 into RS is the only thing I can find that gets the oppenent high enough to connect 121 after. One thing that kinda sucks now is if you Amp NP....example...

B2, S2~RS, 121 NP amp

The oppenent drops immediately and you can't extend the combo. Kinda hope they fix that.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
B2, S2 or F2 into RS is the only thing I can find that gets the oppenent high enough to connect 121 after. One thing that kinda sucks now is if you Amp NP....example...

B2, S2~RS, 121 NP amp

The oppenent drops immediately and you can't extend the combo. Kinda hope they fix that.
I meant actually as a combo starter, not to use the AMP Nutpunch mid-combo

So like: F344 AMP Nutpunch S2 Rising Star 121 Shadowkick

kcd117

Noob
9 frame reversal and fullscreen presence against small hitbox look nice. Definitely the go-to variation against females now.

I can see matchups like Sonya, Skarlet and Frost becoming a lot less annoying depending on the recovery of his new fireball.

DeftMonk

Noob
I honestly don't see why anyone is excited about this variation. Kinda seems like a pile of crap to me. Edit: oh Just found out you guys actually have patch (I am on pc atm). Well I will look forward to whatever shananigans you guys find while I wait on patch like always.

Last edited:

M.D.

d1 dp amplify is a safe way to stop counter pokes. it is -5 on block for 1 bar.

Before, we had d1 nut, which was also a combo starter, but a risk if the guy waited and full combo punished us.

But now, you can spend 1 bar and be safe if they wait, and if they try to poke, you do 12%.

Hardly something to qualify as top 1 in the game, given his lack of KB in the variation and the fact that low fireball still whiffs on 12 chars on all ranges when they crouch block.

Granted, on normal hitboxes it's pretty good, you can zone all day and you're practically untouchable, so I can see the hype.

However half the cast can just skip your moveset.

I am still waiting for the pro players quoted above to show me in tournament how they beat Jacqui ,Cassie and the rest of the 10 female hitboxes mains with this variation.

Still waiting....

P.S.

M.D.

I just realized there isn't a single proof of match, or video showcasing any of the top tier claims, at all.

I can't wait for the next tournament to come, I want to be shown what I am missing.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
It’s also hilariously ironic because the same people cite that other Johnny variations are “top” is because of his forceball block infinite or whatever fucking bullshit. Yet that’s gone now, and now he’s top one.
Which is it? Really, which is it?
Eventually rising star will get the glow kick treatment, what else’ll people blow the fuck out of proportion? His b3 having too much range?
And just how fucking cheap is d1 into a safe special anyways? Especially within the context of a character with slow ass mids.