What's new

Video/Tutorial Instant Crossup Overhead Off Of Sweep + Video

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
EDIT: Video:

It's basically what it sounds like. Unfortunately I don't have the right kind of TV to record right now but I'll explain it. There are three pieces of tech that work together for this:

1. Instant J2 can combo into faster normals like 22, even if it hits on the way up. As great as that sounds, his instant J2 only hits people who are standing so that leads us to...

2. Characters are considered standing for a frame or several frames right as they are getting up. This is what makes meaty HM on their wakeup hit even if they're crouching. So using this, we can time a meaty instant J2 on their wakeup to hit overhead even on crouchers. However, Shazam already has a fast overhead in the form of AT or AC, so that brings us to...

3. Some characters can dash barely over characters after some knockdowns, allowing them to stand behind them until they get up, at which point they get pushed back to the front of the knocked down character. This is negated if you jump, which is usually used to land a neutral jump crossup off of a knockdown like Shazam sweep. That setup is very easy to react to, unfortunately, but if you tie all of these 3 things together...

Sweep > Dash > Meaty Instant Neutral J2 hitting them from behind > 22 xx HM > etc.

It's honestly pretty simple in application, I just really like the fact that it works because of 3 obscure mechanics combined. The timing is kinda tough though, and it works way better on tall hitbox characters.

I have no idea if this is even useful since his knockdown game is already so good, but it's definitely cool! Can anyone record it for me?

Last edited:

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Can anyone with an instant j2 like Shazam's (i.e. hits on the way up) do this?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Can anyone with an instant j2 like Shazam's (i.e. hits on the way up) do this?
They can do it just not crossup. Batman can do B112, dash up, then instant j2 (which is hard as hell). Lobo can end a combo in B2 or do a grounded hook charge, then dash up and instant j2 (which is super easy). There are a lot of them, but i haven't found any that can land it crossup like Shazam can.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Bane can on certain people, but his combo options are very limited.

That being said, this is some nice tech. Good job.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
You can also do an Instant J1 after F22 on hit. Its cute but i really don't do it too much. I see what you are thinking of. I don't have my controller until next tuesday so ill look into it more next week. It sounds like an interesting idea.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Here, I did it on stream the other day so I could upload a video of it to youtube:

I messed it up the first time, but it shows that you can hit either side. Also I didn't combo after it, but 112, 22, d2, etc will easily combo off of it.

Indecisive

Here, I did it on stream the other day so I could upload a video of it to youtube:

I messed it up the first time, but it shows that you can hit either side. Also I didn't combo after it, but 112, 22, d2, etc will easily combo off of it.

I like it. You should also be able to do F1.

Indecisive

F1 is 11 frames. I wish it was 8 frames, that would make it his fastest combo starter.
I derped. I meant to say 10. I was thinking of his b1. i always confuse the two. Last i checked it was 10. If i recall correctly. i could be wrong. but it should connect. in theory

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
You can't combo off of a raw Shazam sweep.

EDIT: Also even if you could, sweep combo ender.
Other question, why would I be doing raw sweep?
Not to discount from your tech, which I already admitted was nice and I liked it, but these are general questions.
As a non-shazam native I would like to know. I thought his sweep wasn't great.

I am really curious as to why you would think that you can combo off of Shazam sweep though.
Because you can combo off of sweep. Just not raw sweep.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Other question, why would I be doing raw sweep?
Not to discount from your tech, which I already admitted was nice and I liked it, but these are general questions.

Because you can combo off of sweep. Just not raw sweep.
You can combo off of perfectly spaced anti air sweep. If that ever happens in a high level match then I have no idea how to play fighting games.

Like I said, sweep combo ender would be a super applicable situation for this. And raw sweep is useful sometimes. It has good range, low profiles some things from max range, and doesn't bring you close like a raw HM would. Plus not everybody can punish it or punish it for max damage from a distance.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
You can combo off of perfectly spaced anti air sweep. If that ever happens in a high level match then I have no idea how to play fighting games.

Like I said, sweep combo ender would be a super applicable situation for this. And raw sweep is useful sometimes. It has good range, low profiles some things from max range, and doesn't bring you close like a raw HM would. Plus not everybody can punish it or punish it for max damage from a distance.
Hm... I could've sworn you could combo into sweep as an extension, which is why I was asking.

I guess so, it seems pretty nifty, though it would be a bit sub-optimal. I can respect the set-up though.
The reach is pretty good, but does his profile go low? It looks like regular crouch to me.

Indecisive

Hm... I could've sworn you could combo into sweep as an extension, which is why I was asking.

I guess so, it seems pretty nifty, though it would be a bit sub-optimal. I can respect the set-up though.
The reach is pretty good, but does his profile go low? It looks like regular crouch to me.
You can but its very situational.