What's new

Guide How to Fight Like a Child – Phase 3’s Shazam Primer

Ok, noob needs the following explained

1. EX

2. Crossup

3. D1 (if it means down+light, then I can't seem to get an Achilles Clutch out of it)

4. BnB

Ok, noob needs the following explained

1. EX

2. Crossup

3. D1 (if it means down+light, then I can't seem to get an Achilles Clutch out of it)

4. BnB
1 EX is a street fighter term that stands for a stronger version of a special move by using meter. in Injustice its also called MB or Meter Burn

2 Crossup is a move that makes you move over to the other side of the opponent then attacking him making him need block the other side of what he would have done if you DIDNT cross up.

in most cases a Jump is used to jump OVER your opponent and then attacking him while still in the air.

I will explain it to you using an old Street Fighter 4 game of mine.

here is a game of me as Ken vs Gun Slinga also as Ken. I am the Pink shorts Ken and he is the Blue shorts Ken. at the 00:7 second time I do a STEPKICK, then I do a LOW JAB, then I JUMP OVER HIM and MEDIUM KICK: that last red part is the cross up. the STEPKICK and LOW JAB he had to block by holding away from me which was in this case HOLDING LEFT but the cross up also had to be blocked by moving away from me which in this case was HOLDING RIGHT.

I hope this helped.

3 D1 is indeed down+light

4 BnB stands for Bread and Butter. its a term used to categorise a characters main combo's. when you see a character get played, those are the combo's you will see used the most because they have the best use in most situations

Calvin

Ball Hog The Betrayer
Well, I love Shazam, I want to main him more. I've gotten a decent amount of wins with him (this thread was very helpful). But against that Deathstroke stuff man, I can't find many viable ways to get through to him. I'll keep practicing my mercury storm mobility but it seems once i get close his quick fire starts up much faster than mercury storm does. So, the further I am, the easier it is to travel apparently. I try to B2 (3, dbf1) and what not but i can't really get in on him because of the high number of hits, jump ins usually end in his air spinning sword. Wish mercury was invincible on start up with MB.

This is a mostly Deathstroke problem but i imagine it applies to anyone with a multiple hitting projectile such as sinestro, green lantern, etc. Any advice my fellow Wizards? Also, feel free to tell me I'm a noob for complaining about Deathstroke stuff and learn to punish properly, I'm new here and open to criticism :) sorry for the long post, hopefully some one reads this though:(

don't worry, it IS hard to get around some of the casts zoning and deathstroke and superman are especially hard.

for deathstroke you need to duck his guns and then dash forward. it can get tricky because the game is new and we're all not used to the tempo yet but eventually you'll get it down. online will remain a problem though. if you get closer you need be more patient because many deathstrokes will randomly throw around swordtwirl. just be ready to punish and if he did meterburn...well just try again. then when you get into a combo and knock him down see what he does. if he wakes up with special (most of the times it will be swordtwirl agian.... -_-) punish and knock him down again. if not, try to get another knock down and go into shazams vortex game.

dont get me wrong it IS hard, but its doable if you stay patient and dont worry too much about taking some damage in the proces

Calvin

Ball Hog The Betrayer
don't worry, it IS hard to get around some of the casts zoning and deathstroke and superman are especially hard.

for deathstroke you need to duck his guns and then dash forward. it can get tricky because the game is new and we're all not used to the tempo yet but eventually you'll get it down. online will remain a problem though. if you get closer you need be more patient because many deathstrokes will randomly throw around swordtwirl. just be ready to punish and if he did meterburn...well just try again. then when you get into a combo and knock him down see what he does. if he wakes up with special (most of the times it will be swordtwirl agian.... -_-) punish and knock him down again. if not, try to get another knock down and go into shazams vortex game.

dont get me wrong it IS hard, but its doable if you stay patient and dont worry too much about taking some damage in the proces
Thanks, I guess i'll go into practice and record some deathstroke shooting and try to get used to the tempo. It's not a real life player but it might help a bit, as well as punishing swordtwirl, should probably use b2.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
Updated the first post with some absurdly important tech titled "(New) - Chapter V - The Wake Up Game (Vortex Tech)". Shazam's ground vortex is ridiculous and you guys should definitely know about it.

On wakeup after certain knockdowns, a Herculean Might is 100% unavoidable (can't duck, can'd backdash, etc.) except for wakeups, which an be punished via normals and crossups. This leads to a very nasty vortex. Check it out.

Updated the first post with some absurdly important tech titled "(New) - Chapter V - The Wake Up Game (Vortex Tech)". Shazam's ground vortex is ridiculous and you guys should definitely know about it.

On wakeup after certain knockdowns, a Herculean Might is 100% unavoidable (can't duck, can'd backdash, etc.) except for wakeups, which an be punished via normals and crossups. This leads to a very nasty vortex. Check it out.
Someone mentioned in one of the other threads that you can do a stance change after sweep and its perfect timing to go right into HM. Tested it out briefly and I think it is correct, if you get the chance to as well I'd add that for anyone who is unsure how to time it

I just wanted to thank the OP for creating this thread/guide.

EXTREMELY helpful and much appreciated.

Now I know what areas to focus on in the lab and what to practice. Thanks man.

This thread is amazing. Thank yiu for all of your hardwork. I just had a question about the vortex since I'm not at home to test. Once I hVe the vortex going can I just loop dash up HC? Command grabs give hard knockdown if I'm not mistaken so in theory am I just supposed to dash up HC until they die reversal? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I was just unsure if I can loop the grab into itself rather than havin g to mix in another hard knockdown to keep the vortex going. Thanks shazam community.

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
following a herculean might and achillies clutch you have enough time to do F3 btw, seems advancing wakeups will beat it out but thats when you can decide to armor it or simply block...plus f3 is +6 or 7 on block

edit: plus im not sure if they can actually dash back out of it..

The mixup is quite ridiculous when you get into it.

You show meaty command throw on their wakeup. They can only wakeup attack out of it, nothing else. Anything that isn't a wakeup attack gets grabbed and put into the same situation.

You see them going for a wakeup attack now that they know your grab will whiff on a wakeup attack. So you bait them into it and either do crossup j.2 or block an unsafe wakeup attack. Full combo punish back into same situation.

Now it's a 50/50 as to whether or not your opponent will wakeup attack or not. If they don't, grab em. If they do, bait and punish. If you guess wrong all that hard work you put in towards getting that knockdown in the first place goes right out the window and Shazam is back at neutral. Well it isn't necessarily a bad thing to be at neutral but why subject yourself to a stand up game when you can keep them on their back for a majority of the game?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Shazam needs armor/a better teleport!

I keep getting timed out because I can't get in! Everything of his is total shit and I keep getting stuffed/traded with my anti airs.

So when you are going for an inescapable grab after finishing a combo with say HM grab, are you timing it by dashing forward and going into the HM grab?

He has one inescapable grab and that is off f22 on hit. All other attempts are escapable. The meaty throw if that's what you are talking about is accessible after MB torpedo d3 and low command throw.

He has one inescapable grab and that is off f22 on hit. All other attempts are escapable. The meaty throw if that's what you are talking about is accessible after MB torpedo d3 and low command throw.
Yeah the meaty is what I meant then, good to know. I suppose people I play online just choose to take the grab then, like every time.
Oh and with the meaty setup, their only option is a wakeup attack right?

Oh and with the meaty setup, their only option is a wakeup attack right?
You show meaty command throw on their wakeup. They can only wakeup attack out of it, nothing else. Anything that isn't a wakeup attack gets grabbed and put into the same situation.

You see them going for a wakeup attack now that they know your grab will whiff on a wakeup attack. So you bait them into it and either do crossup j.2 or block an unsafe wakeup attack. Full combo punish back into same situation.
I'd say so.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
How do I do his 50/50? I usually end with HM, and they seem too far for it. I've tried ending with d3, but I haven't seen it done myself, so I don't got the timing down or anything.

SpoKEI

SHAZAM!!!
This is my sacred book, i study this almost every day, but im still with troubles doing the Herculean Might move after 22 or f223 i have a lot of troubles seting the timing o even cant do the move well...any tips about this guys?