• He is shit.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • He is still shit.

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hi guys.

I thought I would post a quick video of how I think Raiden is played in the current version of the game.

This game is based around 0 block strings, blowing up pokes, exploiting slightly negative moves and strings, and having a solid footsie game, fortunately, Raiden's entire game is built around this.

I just wanted to give my take on why Raiden is one of the best characters in the game.

I know allot of you will disagree at first, but give it time.

NKZero

Noob
Great vid Glue! I was waiting for something like this to prove to others that Raiden is top tier. I used to think he was number 1 and maybe now he's not but he's 100% top 3 in my opinion for many of the reasons you listed in the video.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Well, one of his only negatives, is his come back factor.
Comeback factor and dealing with a lame opponent. It really makes a difference as a whole when you play lame vs him from the getgo, because with him, it's basically having to come back on him from the start.

UsedForGlue

Comeback factor and dealing with a lame opponent. It really makes a difference as a whole when you play lame vs him from the getgo, because with him, it's basically having to come back on him from the start.
Yea, thats a problem.

Apart from that, he has everything you need in a character.

Can play a good footsie game
Good damage
Good amount of 0 block strings
Safe on all his major strings on block, with Teleport punish on baits.
A teleport in general
Two armoured moves - :ex Shocker - 33%
Full screen punishes
Can't be zoned, Can't be cornered, Can't be Cage frame trapped (into the next string).
Good anti Air - :fp Vicinity Blast
Great :x - Increases his Rushdown.

I refuse to have people abandon the character because of the armour choice the opponent can make on him, thats nothing in the grand scheme of things.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Honestly, the gaps in his strings aren't that big a deal, because with the armor comes the risk of just getting baited with string xx teleport. There's only 2 characters that seriously blow up Raiden for finishing 334 and b312, and that's Mileena and Reptile. All other characters have to armor through, and that allows Raiden to simply teleport out if he scouts the armor.

UsedForGlue

Honestly, the gaps in his strings aren't that big a deal, because with the armor comes the risk of just getting baited with string xx teleport.
THTB, your smarter than the average bear, you get it man, but the idea of this video its for people who just don't get it...at all.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
no resets no true traps.. nothing dirty at all...

you need dirt to compete lol

He plays very honest and straight up.. You have to earn your way around town with Raiden.

UsedForGlue

no resets no true traps.. nothing dirty at all...

you need dirt to compete lol

He plays very honest and straight up.. You have to earn your way around town with Raiden.
I think hes dirty enough, He gets out of everything, can run away with a life lead, can't be zoned, and teleports away from every punish.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
One thing that could possibly improve your game, at the end of the video you said that you like to use the 22(1+2?) string. Off of a jip, 22~vicinity blast jails which leaves you neutral and a pretty good distance away as well.

Try it out :).

B W1zZ

Noob
UsedForGlue pretty much hit the nail on the head. The only real argument anyone has for Raiden being shit is that he has strings that can be armored out of or interrupted, or his strings being slow.

At this point in the game Raiden players have to learn to play a more footsie oriented style and know whether they are at advatage or disadvantage. Theres a lot more to his footsie game than shown in this video but this is still an excellent start to understanding how the character really works.

how about this, hypothetically u counter a poke with a teleport and the duration frames on a d1 (like raidens) are 25 and the duration frames of the teleport are 29 and it takes the character how many frames to turn around? not punishing naything

now what happens if they read ur teleport?

now what happens against characters who have 20 frame d3 durations and u counter their poke with a teleport? especially when they have an auto-correcting move to follow up there pokes with

what about when i decide to land a d1 and get 1 frame of advantage any my fastest string against crouching opponents is 12 frames....

i find myself doing a lot of backdashes, the only way you get damage is a whiff punish or a grab...

Altaire

Noob
Hi guys.

I thought I would post a quick video of how I think Raiden is played in the current version of the game.

This game is based around 0 block strings, blowing up pokes, exploiting slightly negative moves and strings, and having a solid footsie game, fortunately, Raiden's entire game is built around this.

I just wanted to give my take on why Raiden is one of the best characters in the game.

I know allot of you will disagree at first, but give it time.
Holy fucking shit, thank you.

I've been saying this since the dawn of time. Like, Raiden really does have the tools for every matchup. If you're using the teleport intelligently and not just throwing it out to get in, it's a great way to force your opponent to whiff and punish. He has EVERYTHING you'd ever need to compete in this game. Why people are still downplaying him is ridiculous; it's almost as bad as the Sektor bullshit.

I don't really know what to say about Raiden's footsies. I remember REO on said on VSM that there are two different types of footsies: offensive and defensive. As I thought about it, I realize it's true. Characters who have good offensive and defensive footsies are jc, kenshi and sektor (as examples). I feel Raiden has only good defensive footsies. B312, teleport, superman, etc. He's one of the best at punishing people who are over-aggressive. This is mostly why people think characters with mostly safe rushdown (jc, sonya) beat raiden.

What's commonly perceived of raiden right now is his poor offense, thus why people say he loses to turtle tactics. Low blocking hurts him, lots of his strings are negative and f24 won't cut it by itself. Linking strings into teleport in order to avoid armor interruption will just make the opponent do an OS normal move instead.

I do think Raiden's throw is really good though. But I'm no expert on this guy.

I don't really know what to say about Raiden's footsies. I remember REO on said on VSM that there are two different types of footsies: offensive and defensive. As I thought about it, I realize it's true. Characters who have good offensive and defensive footsies are jc, kenshi and sektor (as examples). I feel Raiden has only good defensive footsies. B312, teleport, superman, etc. He's one of the best at punishing people who are over-aggressive. This is mostly why people think characters with mostly safe rushdown (jc, sonya) beat raiden.

What's commonly perceived of raiden right now is his poor offense, thus why people say he loses to turtle tactics. Low blocking hurts him, lots of his strings are negative and f24 won't cut it by itself. Linking strings into teleport in order to avoid armor interruption will just make the opponent do an OS normal move instead.

couldnt agree more

NKZero

Noob

Yeah I agree as well. Raiden is more of a defensive character no doubt. But people claim that he has nothing offensively and I definitely disagree with anybody who claims that is the case. His defense is already top tier. His offense is more of a mind game rather than frame traps or good stutter strings (i.e. when you do a string with Raiden you have to finish it or else you are at big disadvantage). However if he keeps unpredictable you have to worry about what he might do, and that's when everything opens up for him. I think Altaire made the point that he plays like a SF character and I couldn't agree more. He's all about throw mix-ups linked in with an insane ability to escape pressure and whiff punish like so few characters can.