What's new

Question - Demolition Help me

omooba

fear the moobs
So this character has been making me lose a lot of sleep. Can y'all demo mains help me with the beating her. Anything from her bad match ups to actual in game help would be appreciated

jmt

Noob
So this character has been making me lose a lot of sleep. Can y'all demo mains help me with the beating her. Anything from her bad match ups to actual in game help would be appreciated
What problem are you having?

omooba

fear the moobs
lot's of problems. i feel like i respect the grenades too much and they end up doing stuff like 50/50 throw grenade then jump over and honestly i don't think anyone other than d'vorah can anti air her crossup on reaction. also when i do read the grenade it stays on hit therefore death. armor doesn't help either cus well again it stays on hit so if it's not advancing armor.. death. i just need to not keep eating 50/50 into 50/50. last time i fought a good demo, i rage quit on like game 16 cus he got me to respect 4 50/50's in a row (all blocked then he grabbed that's when i caved).

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Try to play Kano against Sonya. Whenever the Sonya player does a 50/50 into grenade and doesn't detonate it immediately, Kano can always backdash that. But the thing is, if the Sonya player sees that you're always backdashing, he can throw a far grenade and catch you in the recovery frames of the backdash.

omooba

fear the moobs
Just uppercut if she tries to double 50 50 you for free with nade pressure
beats most anti airs if u try to do it on reaction
Try to play Kano against Sonya. Whenever the Sonya player does a 50/50 into grenade and doesn't detonate it immediately, Kano can always backdash that. But the thing is, if the Sonya player sees that you're always backdashing, he can throw a far grenade and catch you in the recovery frames of the backdash.
will try this

omooba

fear the moobs
any other tips? i don't like using kano and there's been another surge of demo players. it seems that other than kano subzero and quan chi every other backdash get's caught and most armor moves won't work. is there any universal option against her?
for instance if she does the low into a grenade and just leaves it there for a sec, it seems like the best you can hope for is a trade which seems to loop into pressure at least

Acidic Alien always gives me a run for my money. Also Kenshi and Full Auto Jacqui should do the trick. You could try fighting fire with fire.

omooba

fear the moobs
Acidic Alien always gives me a run for my money. Also Kenshi and Full Auto Jacqui should do the trick. You could try fighting fire with fire.
thanks but again it seems like what you're saying is keep her out or don't let her start her gameplan. what i'm asking is if there are universal answers to her gameplan.
say she does a 50/50 into grenades and holds it enough to be barely plus how do i stop that universally. catches most back dashes, most armor gets hit after armor frames, and advancing strings don't come out fast enough is my only option trade? cus that sucks and it usually leads to more pressure

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
Erron Gunslinger has an advantage in the matchup imo.. He can control neutral with coinshot and SOS stance. His pressure once she has no nades can smother her, forcing an unsafe reload while getting good damage and going back into mid to full screen zoning. He can punish all of her special moves including dive kick with 21122 easily. As far as grenade pressure goes, he deals like everyone else. Because he can play equal if not better neutral than her ,with his zoning tools, he does a good job of frustrating demo into a unsafe entry. As far as dealing with delayed nades, you have to make a read. You can jump out on the delay or attempt an armor move once you see the nade tossed before demo player does a normal. Its hard for sure but most of her bad MU's revolve around being able to zone her and avoid nade trades I think. I think erron's command grab may force the demo player to give up pressure in certain situations for the threat of a reversal but it's situational. Errons reversals are meh in certain MU's since he only gets 13%17% and a hard knockdown opposed to some characters getting full combo punishes.

Reactions: jmt

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
any other tips? i don't like using kano and there's been another surge of demo players. it seems that other than kano subzero and quan chi every other backdash get's caught and most armor moves won't work. is there any universal option against her?
for instance if she does the low into a grenade and just leaves it there for a sec, it seems like the best you can hope for is a trade which seems to loop into pressure at least
Subzero can't backdash 121 into grenade, just sayin'.

What I would do is wait until the jailing frames of grenade ends and try to armor out, because you know that depending on the timing that she detonates the grenade, it jails, right? So if you try to mash reversal, jump out or even backdash with Kano, Subzero and Quan chi or whatever it is, you're gonna get hit. So the mixup there isn't so much a question of ''when will she detonate the grenade?'' instead it's more like ''will she jail the grenade or not?''. Never try to press buttons as soon as she tosses that grenade.

My tip is to not hesitate too much against her pressure. Don't respect the grenade too much to the point of letting them detonate by themselves because she'll be like +20-ish if that happens.

When in doubt, EX punch walk.:DOGE EX punch walk is safe, leads to a combo and doesn't trade with the grenade because it has two hits of armor.

Last edited:

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Erron Gunslinger has an advantage in the matchup imo.. He can control neutral with coinshot and SOS stance. His pressure once she has no nades can smother her, forcing an unsafe reload while getting good damage and going back into mid to full screen zoning. He can punish all of her special moves including dive kick with 21122 easily. As far as grenade pressure goes, he deals like everyone else. Because he can play equal if not better neutral than her ,with his zoning tools, he does a good job of frustrating demo into a unsafe entry. As far as dealing with delayed nades, you have to make a read. You can jump out on the delay or attempt an armor move once you see the nade tossed before demo player does a normal. Its hard for sure but most of her bad MU's revolve around being able to zone her and avoid nade trades I think. I think erron's command grab may force the demo player to give up pressure in certain situations for the threat of a reversal but it's situational. Errons reversals are meh in certain MU's since he only gets 13%17% and a hard knockdown opposed to some characters getting full combo punishes.
Erron and Mileena are the only characters who can deal better with Demo Sonya, but those aren't necessarily losing MUs to her.

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
Erron and Mileena are the only characters who can deal better with Demo Sonya, but those aren't necessarily losing MUs to her.
I think its 5.5-4.5. barely.
Its not a 6-4 though. I dont think the MU has been fleshed out enough openly for people to see how it is.

omooba

fear the moobs
Subzero can't backdash 121 into grenade, just sayin'.

What I would do is wait until the jailing frames of grenade ends and try to armor out, because you know that depending on the timing that she detonates the grenade, it jails, right? So if you try to mash reversal, jump out or even backdash with Kano, Subzero and Quan chi or whatever it is, you're gonna get hit. So the mixup there isn't so much a question of ''when will she detonate the grenade?'' instead it's more like ''will she jail the grenade or not?''. Never try to press buttons as soon as she tosses that grenade.

My tip is to not hesitate too much against her pressure. Don't respect the grenade too much to the point of letting them detonate by themselves because she'll be like +20-ish if that happens.

When in doubt, EX punch walk.:DOGE EX punch walk is safe, leads to a combo and doesn't trade with the grenade because it has two hits of armor.
say i was using d'vorah. if she detonated the grenade to be barely plus i can't armor because it'll hit after my armor frames. same with everyone who doesn't have advancing armor. the funny thing is she has a set up that breaks goro's armor lol

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
say i was using d'vorah. if she detonated the grenade to be barely plus i can't armor because it'll hit after my armor frames. same with everyone who doesn't have advancing armor. the funny thing is she has a set up that breaks goro's armor lol
Never try to armor with D'vorah, her armor is so shitty that Sonya can trade with that and combo off of it.

Yes, she does, but that setup is used to break all armors on wake-up.

omooba

fear the moobs
Never try to armor with D'vorah, her armor is so shitty that Sonya can trade with that and combo off of it.

Yes, she does, but that setup is used to break all armors on wake-up.
not just d'vorah it's every none advancing armor. shit even kung lao's spin

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
There is no better way to learn how to beat a character than picking it up and losing a few dozen games with it.

MK_Al

Noob
Its a hard mu no matter what char you are going to pick. In generall:

- Be sure to punish or whiffpunish her DK, her specials and the b1/b332xx strings
- Keep in mind that there is a gap after b1 in b142. Also as long as she is not in d4 range, you have to block standing (in case of b1 / f2 / b2 / jumpin)
- If she has a tendency to DK more than J1, block and punish. If she's more likely to J1 AA her. You need to challenge her jump attacks or she will never stop to either J1 -> 50/50 or DK -> combo. BTW, a well timed neutral jump punch should stop both (but it's a read)
- Try to pressure her if she's out of nades - She needs them to deal good dmg
- Keep in mind that reloading her nades takes forever, so punish that or at least get some pressure
- Punish her with your wakeup atk or run in if she tries to reload after a knockdown that does not come from 2134, NJK or EX arc kick
- If she goes for a grenade cancel after a string, you have to take a guess (she can punish everything you do, but she needs to take a guess as well):
If she explodes the nade right after throwing it you can reversal or at least should be able to pressure her (unless she cancels after 111). If she decides to let the nade fly to intimidate you don't (always) sit there and block. You can backdash, back jump, cross her up or poke and go back to block

Thats basically all I can remember for now that seems to work for me in this mu.

EDIT: Oh and btw I'm not a sonya main so don't hate on me if something is not 100% accurate