What's new

Question - Kotal Kahn Getting in

Czar

Kotal Kahn of New Orleans
How do we get in as Kotal Kahn? I'm having trouble generating offense so most of my damage comes from unsafe f2's and the occasional good read (still beginning...kinda). What are you guys doing to get things going?

Edit: a pretty fun way to close a match is to stand a good bit back and do b3,2...whiff the b3 pretty hard and 90% of the time they'll push a button and eat the charge.

regulas

Your Emporer
Well from distance probably just running and dashing, plus the odd EX projectile.

As for how to attack offensively, wargod has it easiest cause you just use any string canceled into a sword (or even just use a sword).

That being said your f1,b2 and b1,2,2 all have good carry forward. Even B2 isn't the worst since it's safe on block though you can't cancel from it.

To note Kotal is a footsies character meaning that you're not really going to be doing the kind of mix-up offense most other chars will, you rely on using poke hits along with reach or dash-attacks to gain priority instead.

Last edited:

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...
I would say that getting in shouldn't be our first priority. My initial priority is to bully with far reaching normals and whiff punishes, then after a hard knockdown set up something to either make him block something or give myself some buffs.

Czar

Yeah I wasn't looking for a mixup guy, Kotal is my fav because of his design and backstory, but besides that his range and footsies drew me in. Thing is, footsies are something I still have to develop. So, with that I mind, I know I'm not supposed to just go in with strings unless they're safe or cancelable into something safe, so what are the normals I should be using to poke? I've tried fiddling around but I guess my lack of experience with footsies has me drawing a blank.

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...
Yeah I wasn't looking for a mixup guy, Kotal is my fav because of his design and backstory, but besides that his range and footsies drew me in. Thing is, footsies are something I still have to develop. So, with that I mind, I know I'm not supposed to just go in with strings unless they're safe or cancelable into something safe, so what are the normals I should be using to poke? I've tried fiddling around but I guess my lack of experience with footsies has me drawing a blank.
A good exercise you can do is have your training dummy walk back and fourth, use someone who has a decent walk speed as well. As soon as you feel that he is in range, use a move (lets use F2 for example) to see if it hits and count how many times you can hit it. Try challanging yourself by walking backwards and forwards yourself so you can get a feel of movement as a component.

When you feel like you're starting to get the hang of it, incorporate runs, dashes, and even other attacks. The goal is to to make it so that when you're in range you fire and you don't miss, he either has to block, get hit, or hope for a trade.

Czar

A good exercise you can do is have your training dummy walk back and fourth, use someone who has a decent walk speed as well. As soon as you feel that he is in range, use a move (lets use F2 for example) to see if it hits and count how many times you can hit it. Try challanging yourself by walking backwards and forwards yourself so you can get a feel of movement as a component.

When you feel like you're starting to get the hang of it, incorporate runs, dashes, and even other attacks. The goal is to to make it so that when you're in range you fire and you don't miss, he either has to block, get hit, or hope for a trade.
Thanks man, I'm definitely gonna do this tonight.

I've been checking the range on b1 and stuff since I mostly go b1,4,(EX)sword etc. it can hit around sweep distance but you whiff the f2 after popup unless you're closer. (At least that was true when against smaller chars like Mileena.) But I didn't think about having the AI walk nor walking back and forth myself.

spin4u

Noob
As far as I can tell F1( that elbow before f1~b2) is the best way to get in. Its -7 on block and is a 6 start up I believe. I have to check again. From what I practice with my friend the only thing that can punish it well is fast moves like reptile dash. Most characters have a 7 frame start up so they can only punish it with a crouching poke.

I use the Sun God because that command grab is just too good. His jumping 1 has hella reach and his df1 air grab can get any jump in. even special moves if timed correctly.