What's new

Genuine longevity concerns from someone who actually plays fighting games at a pretty high level

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Initially when I heard about the Kameo system and messed around with it in the beta, I was worried it would just get optimized immediately. Then I got my hands on the game and was amazed at how much depth and expression there was in the game. But then I played the game for a long enough period of time and was disappointed with how quickly it was optimized.

The issue is Cyrax. Full stop. And it sucks, because his function blows a lot of characters wide open and makes their kit cohesive and expressive. Characters have underwhelming strings that become much more valuable. Special moves get a whole new life with him. Look at what Sonic discovered with Rain. Look at Cyrax with Havik, or Reptile, or Sub-Zero, or Scorpion. Stryker can give you belligerent neutral, Sektor gives unique conversions and space control, Darius gives you a restun, but it doesn't really matter much since Cyrax is probably the optimal choice.

I'd like them to tinker with his cooldown more. Make holding Helicopter drain the rest of his meter like Low Hat or Onion Rings, so that he still gets the same options but has to structure his gameplan around having them available. Honestly if they just gutted the Helicopter, I'd consider it a necessary evil just so people are forced to use something else

LEGEND

YES!
Dbz, mvc, skullgirls, bbtag, have all had longer life spans then mk11 which this games is the most like. Take out the dumbass wake up system, break aways, add assist and a little more frames on hit and block and you get this game. But we’ll see….like I said a year from now I wanna see
Big wiff on this thread.

It doesn't even sound like you've played MK9 or MK1

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
I could see some current summon assists being turned into ambush assists, but it wouldn’t be many.

I think one thing that could be interesting is making certain normals “summon cancellable”. Cause, the rule with summon assists is that they work like specials; if a move is special cancellable, you can also cancel it into a summon assist. Well, I think some moves should gain the ability to cancel into summon assists, but not specials. Mostly the end of some strings.

Imagine cancelling the end of a string that knocks down, into something like Frost orb assist or Motaro triple blast assist to set up oki. I think that would give som kameos a certain niche, like they’re the oki/setplay kameos.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Wait, you ACTUALLY play fighting games at a pretty high level!? Well that certainly elevates your opinion and I think we could all learn something from your infinite wisdom. Thanks for gracing us with your knowledge, it’s much appreciated!

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I mean, the characters you listed kinda DO have two ambush assists…

Goro has up punch and unblockable stomp
Sektor has homing missile and regular missile
Cyrax has vertical chopper and horizontal chopper.

Aside from that, I think I fundamentally disagree with basically everything you’ve written. If we want the kameo system to be more fun, then the way to get that is to encourage more variety. For example, giving harsher health penalties to oppressive Kameos, or increasing regen time; and buffing up weaker kameos.

It sounds like you don’t want to play MK1, or want to play MvC with MK characters. That is not what this game is (thank god).

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
I mean, the characters you listed kinda DO have two ambush assists…

Goro has up punch and unblockable stomp
Sektor has homing missile and regular missile
Cyrax has vertical chopper and horizontal chopper.

Aside from that, I think I fundamentally disagree with basically everything you’ve written. If we want the kameo system to be more fun, then the way to get that is to encourage more variety. For example, giving harsher health penalties to oppressive Kameos, or increasing regen time; and buffing up weaker kameos.

It sounds like you don’t want to play MK1, or want to play MvC with MK characters. That is not what this game is (thank god).
What does MK1 play like because?

I see people constantly say this but never elaborate on it. WTF does MK1 play like? What makes it unique? It literally feels like a diet assist fighter that had no direction.

The game is a mess from top to bottom. Several mechanics clearly havent been thought out and it feels like they didnt have a clue on how the game would play.

I've never played an assist fighter that stops you when you use your assist and I see why it hasnt been made up until this point. It feel awful and takes away from the TEAM aspect of an assist fighter. The game manages to be somewhat fun still but I imagine it would've been better if they just went the traditional formula and balanced it from there. I keep seeing people reference MvC like its the only assist fighter there is. Even if every assist was turned into ambush assists tomorrow, this game would not be anywhere close to the level of depravity that is MvC/BBTag.

Sure somethings will need to be adjusted but saying it would still be the most sanitized assist fighter to date. Even DBFZ has more dirt than this game and that game was a pile of sameness trash.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
What does MK1 play like because?

I see people constantly say this but never elaborate on it. WTF does MK1 play like? What makes it unique? It literally feels like a diet assist fighter that had no direction.

The game is a mess from top to bottom. Several mechanics clearly havent been thought out and it feels like they didnt have a clue on how the game would play.

I've never played an assist fighter that stops you when you use your assist and I see why it hasnt been made up until this point. It feel awful and takes away from the TEAM aspect of an assist fighter. The game manages to be somewhat fun still but I imagine it would've been better if they just went the traditional formula and balanced it from there. I keep seeing people reference MvC like its the only assist fighter there is. Even if every assist was turned into ambush assists tomorrow, this game would not be anywhere close to the level of depravity that is MvC/BBTag.

Sure somethings will need to be adjusted but saying it would still be the most sanitized assist fighter to date. Even DBFZ has more dirt than this game and that game was a pile of sameness trash.
The game is very neutral heavy with explosive damage and pressure/mix. It’s technically an assist fighter, but doesn’t really fit that mould.

Kameos are NRS’s attempt to allow further customisation of characters. In MKX, they had variations. In MK11, they had custom moves. Kameos are sort of like universal custom moves. The ones that make you stand still are just additional special moves on a different counter. Summon kameos are a very deliberate choice that fit in with this design philosophy.

It sounds like you want a crazy assist game with lots of bullshit. MK1 certainly has its fair share of broke stuff, but if you’re after that in every instance, you might need to look to a different game. At the moment I’m finding the game is super fun as it is, and wouldn’t really want it to be completely overhauled.

SixPathsOfHate

The game is very neutral heavy with explosive damage and pressure/mix. It’s technically an assist fighter, but doesn’t really fit that mould.

Kameos are NRS’s attempt to allow further customisation of characters. In MKX, they had variations. In MK11, they had custom moves. Kameos are sort of like universal custom moves. The ones that make you stand still are just additional special moves on a different counter. Summon kameos are a very deliberate choice that fit in with this design philosophy.

It sounds like you want a crazy assist game with lots of bullshit. MK1 certainly has its fair share of broke stuff, but if you’re after that in every instance, you might need to look to a different game. At the moment I’m finding the game is super fun as it is, and wouldn’t really want it to be completely overhauled.
You're correct, I wanted a good amount of bullshit and was disappointed. Bullshit keeps the game interesting because there is always stuff to explore. One of my favorite things to do in BBTag was to go into training mode and pick a new assist for Nine to see what dumb shit I could do. Just because they were trying to mimic variations doesnt mean they have to make the game bare to do it. In the case of BBTag the extensive game mechanics made up for the limited kits and you got to play with 2 characters instead of 1 so that further helped it. I'm not saying we needed to be a full on tag team game. Hell, the game I'm making is also an assist fighter but the lack of universal mechanics that would be there to compliment and enhance the gameplay isnt here. BBTag had cross combo, Pushblock, a breaker that could be punished, x-factor when you lose your character and more. MK has always lacked in the universal mechanics department with INJ doing a better job at it. This game needed more of everything IMO.

This game was sanitized to the bone. MKX had more dirt. I've decided to take a break cause the bugs are too much and the game feels stale already. Looking at tournament gameplay alone has been fairly boring with a few new faces here and there.

This game just feels like Cyberpunk of AAA fighting games. Fun but far too many flaws.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
What does MK1 play like because? WTF does MK1 play like? What makes it unique? It literally feels like a diet assist fighter that had no direction.
it plays like MK1.

This game just feels like Cyberpunk of AAA fighting games
Cyberpunk is in the conversation for the best game made in the last decade... easily in the running for best 1stPerson rpg of all time.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
You're correct, I wanted a good amount of bullshit and was disappointed. Bullshit keeps the game interesting because there is always stuff to explore. One of my favorite things to do in BBTag was to go into training mode and pick a new assist for Nine to see what dumb shit I could do. Just because they were trying to mimic variations doesnt mean they have to make the game bare to do it. In the case of BBTag the extensive game mechanics made up for the limited kits and you got to play with 2 characters instead of 1 so that further helped it. I'm not saying we needed to be a full on tag team game. Hell, the game I'm making is also an assist fighter but the lack of universal mechanics that would be there to compliment and enhance the gameplay isnt here. BBTag had cross combo, Pushblock, a breaker that could be punished, x-factor when you lose your character and more. MK has always lacked in the universal mechanics department with INJ doing a better job at it. This game needed more of everything IMO.

This game was sanitized to the bone. MKX had more dirt. I've decided to take a break cause the bugs are too much and the game feels stale already. Looking at tournament gameplay alone has been fairly boring with a few new faces here and there.

This game just feels like Cyberpunk of AAA fighting games. Fun but far too many flaws.
I mean, throw combos, launching armour, consistent 50% combos, massive chip block strings, ridiculous meter build, multiple hard-to-block-ables; I’d hardly call this super sanitised.

You’re well within your rights to prefer a different game, but that doesn’t make what the game is currently wrong. If you listen to most of the pro-players, reception is that the game is hella fun. Definitely buggy, and feels somewhat rushed from QoL perspective, but super fun with lots of depth.

That’s where I sit on the game atm.

SixPathsOfHate

I mean, throw combos, launching armour, consistent 50% combos, massive chip block strings, ridiculous meter build, multiple hard-to-block-ables; I’d hardly call this super sanitised.

You’re well within your rights to prefer a different game, but that doesn’t make what the game is currently wrong. If you listen to most of the pro-players, reception is that the game is hella fun. Definitely buggy, and feels somewhat rushed from QoL perspective, but super fun with lots of depth.

That’s where I sit on the game atm.
agree to disagree
it plays like MK1.

Cyberpunk is in the conversation for the best game made in the last decade... easily in the running for best 1stPerson rpg of all time.
agree to disagree

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I have genuine longevity concerns that I'm going to play this game for years to come.

A lot of those tag games mentioned with teams lack the character depth that this game offers. Here we have one character that I'm adding an assist to. Not even a negative vs positive thing, it's just way different

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
This game lacks several QOL things, but the actual gameplay is the best NRS has ever delivered, and even with Baraka/Johnny/Raiden/Cyrax, it's still ALSO the most balanced so far. We are a few patches away from absolute greatness. If you want a deranged game with bullet hell screen assists, then I'm afraid no NRS game is gonna scratch that itch - maybe ever. Their degeneracy usually stems from some characters being jacks of all trades and also masters of all too.

all of these are 100% intentional in the game. the move data is very carefully and thoroughly crafted in mk1, theres no way they overlooked any of this. those mechanics just need some polish.

rifraf

Noob
told you so :)
Huh? Well, I'm still having a blast with the game and the latest patch was unanimously liked by the community. With the launch of Ermac the game's pretty hype atm. Still lots of work left to do but with every seasonal patch we're getting at least 1 character rework. Season 4 we got reworked Quan Chi, and Season 5 we got reworked Rain and Reptile. Plus, there's an expansion on the way.