What's new

Discussion Final MKXL Tier List (post yours!)

One question I have for everyone: Ethereal Mileena is considered her best Variation, it seems. Can someone explain why that's so?

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Why are the juggles in this game such a joke? This game is so stiff and klunky. Meter burn just to fucking dash? I'm starting to remember why i never liked this game

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Just tap Forwards twice to dash, no Metre used. Tapping back twice will do a back dash, but this costs a bar of Stamina.
Lol how about you hop online and teach me how to play because the tuitorial was useless and konquest mode is gone so i don't know how to learn specific characters besides looking up BnBs then training mode. Remember when story mode actually taught useful basics, fundamentals and juggles?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Lol how about you hop online and teach me how to play because the tuitorial was useless and konquest mode is gone so i don't know how to learn specific characters besides looking up BnBs then training mode. Remember when story mode actually taught useful basics, fundamentals and juggles?
I assume you are having trouble with the run input. Go into practice mode and just practice running. Forward-Forward + Block. Basically can't play the game until that works for you. You just want to input a dash, and then you press block during it to make it into a run. It's janky but becomes pretty easy after some practice

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I assume you are having trouble with the run input. Go into practice mode and just practice running. Forward-Forward + Block. Basically can't play the game until that works for you. You just want to input a dash, and then you press block during it to make it into a run. It's janky but becomes pretty easy after some practice
Yea there's that and every time I launch an opponent i try to dash forward to juggle and he overshoots and goes UNDER my opponent... Plus the controls feel super unresponsive like i have to do input twice or more for special moves... Idk, is it just the Xbox pad sucks?

I'm just kinda making up my own juggles for now until i finish story mode and dedicate myself to a character but it's so awkward and frustrating trying to get used to this engine

I played it when it 1st came out out, gave it another chance about 3 years ago and then a 3rd chance last thanksgiving or so, but i said to myself i need to fully master at least 1 character before I quit for good

@AREZ God of War I don't have an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription, otherwise I would. For good practice against the AI though, do Single Fight. It's more or less simulated Multiplayer, though of course nothing can replace a real opponent. Hard is the best for training in Single Fight, as it input reads, but to the point where it mostly feels like good reads from your opponent. Normal is too easy, but is handy when you're toying with mechanics.

What character are you playing as right now?

For the Xbox Wireless Controller, that may indeed be your problem. The D-Pad on it is much improved over the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller's, but it's still unresponsive for fighting games. I use a Hori Fighting Commander for Xbox One. The difference is, no exaggeration, night and day with the D-Pad. On an Xbox Wireless Controller, my Kitana combos are near impossible. On a Hori Fighting Commander, if I drop them, it really is me and not the pad.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
@AREZ God of War I don't have an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription, otherwise I would. For good practice against the AI though, do Single Fight. It's more or less simulated Multiplayer, though of course nothing can replace a real opponent. Hard is the best for training in Single Fight, as it input reads, but to the point where it mostly feels like good reads from your opponent. Normal is too easy, but is handy when you're toying with mechanics.

For the Xbox Wireless Controller, that may indeed be your problem. The D-Pad on it is much improved over the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller's, but it's still unresponsive for fighting games. I use a Hori Fighting Commander for Xbox One. The difference is, no exaggeration, night and day with the D-Pad. On an Xbox Wireless Controller, my Kitana combos are near impossible. On a Hori Fighting Commander, if I drop them, it really is me and not the pad.
Can i use a ps3 controller with a converter?

I'm definitely not liking the Xbox d-pad as was the case with previous Xbox
systems
For fighting games, I agree 100%. When I needed a new Controller for my PC, I tried an Xbox Wireless Controller since it was first party, and used Mortal Kombat XL as my test game (this was a month before Mortal Kombat 11 launched), and it just was not responding well. I returned it to Amazon and got a Hori Fighting Commander for Xbox One based off of @Cobainevermind87 's recommendation, and it's fantastic! It works on my PC and Xbox 360, and of course on my Xbox One X that I purchased last fall. The D-Pad on it is extremely precise, and you can remap the entire pads buttons as well.

Outside of fighting games though, the Xbox Wireless Controller's D-Pad is just fine for everything else (shooters, RPG's, menu navigation), etc. No issues with it in Halo: The Master Chief Collection, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, DOOM (2016), etc. It's a fantastic Controller overall, except for the D-Pad with fighting games only.

Ironic because the Controller was designed for Killer Instinct (2013), and it's just not good for that game either.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
For fighting games, I agree 100%. When I needed a new Controller for my PC, I tried an Xbox Wireless Controller since it was first party, and used Mortal Kombat XL as my test game (this was a month before Mortal Kombat 11 launched), and it just was not responding well. I returned it to Amazon and got a Hori Fighting Commander for Xbox One based off of @Cobainevermind87 's recommendation, and it's fantastic! It works on my PC and Xbox 360, and of course on my Xbox One X that I purchased last fall. The D-Pad on it is extremely precise, and you can remap the entire pads buttons as well.

Outside of fighting games though, the Xbox Wireless Controller's D-Pad is just fine for everything else (shooters, RPG's, menu navigation), etc. No issues with it in Halo: The Master Chief Collection, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, DOOM (2016), etc. It's a fantastic Controller overall, except for the D-Pad with fighting games only.

Ironic because the Controller was designed for Killer Instinct (2013), and it's just not good for that game either.
But Hori Fight Commander has no analog sticks, right? I can't use it for Darksiders or Devil May Cry.

Hori Fight Commander was made for KI but doesn't work good???!!!

But Hori Fight Commander has no analog sticks, right? I can't use it for Darksiders or Devil May Cry.

Hori Fight Commander was made for KI but doesn't work good???!!!
You use the Hori Fighting Commander for fighting games only, and an Xbox Wireless Controller for everything else.

And no, the Xbox Wireless Controller was made for Killer Instinct (2013). It was a launch title and they built the game for that Controller, yet the Controller just isn't good for it. The Hori Fighting Commander, on the other hand, is great.

Xbox one dpad is great imo, PS4's is trash
I've never used a DualShock 4, so I can't comment on it. For the Xbox Wireless Controller, you never have issues with circle motions? I can do back, forwards just fine, but quarter circles are extremely non-responsive on it for me, and I own three Xbox Wireless Controllers! Two of them are 100% no-go's, one of them works sorta, but nothing to get excited about.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I've never used a DualShock 4, so I can't comment on it. For the Xbox Wireless Controller, you never have issues with circle motions? I can do back, forwards just fine, but quarter circles are extremely non-responsive on it for me, and I own three Xbox Wireless Controllers! Two of them are 100% no-go's, one of them works sorta, but nothing to get excited about.
That is the problem Xbox has always had since Day 1, but original Xbox S-type controller were a step in the right direction and their best by far, sadly they abandoned the design

That is the problem Xbox has always had since Day 1, but original Xbox S-type controller were a step in the right direction and their best by far, sadly they abandoned the design
I still own my Xbox and have two Xbox Controller-S', though I've never played a fighting game with them.

I've heard the D-Pad for the Xbox Elite Controller is excellent, but I have not used it myself. The D-Pad on the upcoming Xbox Wireless Controller for the Xbox Series X is incorporating this design, and that Controller will also work with Xbox One, so we'll see.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
@AREZ God of War I don't have an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription, otherwise I would. For good practice against the AI though, do Single Fight. It's more or less simulated Multiplayer, though of course nothinghui can replace a real opponent. Hard is the best for training in Single Fight, as it input reads, but to the point where it mostly feels like good reads from your opponent. Normal is too easy, but is handy when you're toying with mechanics.

I been trying to figure out Displacer then last night @B W1zZ broke him down for me, like extensively (I'm still reading) so he'll be training me with Raiden as he did in MK9.

I'm getting used to RCs and almost starting to be able to do it twice in 1 juggle so it feels like a little progress but I'm not entirely sure what the most important aspects of being good at the game i should be focusing on in my 1st few days. Traditionally i just research some BnBs and do training until i feel comfortable enough to play an opponent without dropping too many.

I did however plan since his release to main Predator so that is my goal in the long run but i need to find a "mentor" if you will. I labbed a while with Kotal with poor results and Ninjutsu Scorpion for some other options - it's sorta reminiscent of his MK9 incarnation

Thoughts?

I been trying to figure out Displacer then last night @B W1zZ broke him down for me, like extensively (I'm still reading) so he'll be training me with Raiden as he did in MK9.

I'm getting used to RCs and almost starting to be able to do it twice in 1 juggle so it feels like a little progress but I'm not entirely sure what the most important aspects of being good at the game i should be focusing on in my 1st few days. Traditionally i just research some BnBs and do training until i feel comfortable enough to play an opponent without dropping too many.

I did however plan since his release to main Predator so that is my goal in the long run but i need to find a "mentor" if you will. I labbed a while with Kotal with poor results and Ninjutsu Scorpion for some other options - it's sorta reminiscent of his MK9 incarnation

Thoughts?
I'm a Mileena and Kitana main in this game, and I always stunk at Run Cancels myself, but for the characters I play and how I play them, I didn't need Run Cancels and was able to use Dashes instead, so it wasn't an issue.

In terms of what you should be focusing on, I'd absolutely say the fundamentals. Stick with a character (say Raiden in this instance) and a Variation and really learn him and use him to figure the game out. Don't worry about loosing, use those loses to analyze why you lost to improve your knowledge of the game.

Are you not being aggressive enough, are you struggling in a specific match up, are you having trouble with 50/50's? That sort of thing.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

Thoughts?
D1/D3 jail into pressure, often from a high attack.

What is your armor/wakeup attack? What is the opponent's and how to deal with it?

Find your mix, characters have more 50/50s and plus frames then a game like MK11. Find some string that is good on block and that can be hit confirmed into big damage. Being knocked down in the corner is brutal in this game

D1/D3 jail into pressure, often from a high attack.

What is your armor/wakeup attack? What is the opponent's and how to deal with it?

Find your mix, characters have more 50/50s and plus frames then a game like MK11. Find some string that is good on block and that can be hit confirmed into big damage. Being knocked down in the corner is brutal in this game
^This articulates things far better than I did.

MK9? Figured out. MK11? General placements are known by now. But what about MKX? I can never find a commonly agreed upon list. Specifically, do we have a list both for every variation ranked as well as the characters overall?