What's new

Question - Demolition Few questions about Demolition.

Hey guys, so i'm considering picking up Demolition Sonya. But before i do, i just have a few questions and it would be great if i could get some help.

1) Im a player who generally likes playing ONE thing. If i can, i'd like to play one character, one variation. If a second one is necessary, then one character, and one of their other variations, MAX. Ideally, i'd like to cover all MU's with this. Im currently playing Piercing Mileena, who i dont think gets 6/4'd by anyone in the cast, but im getting bored. So, onwards to Demo Sonya. She looks super fun, so my interest is spiked. The question here is, is there a common opinion on Demo's bad MU's, and if yes, does Covert cover them ?

2) When playing Demolition, how essential is negative edge ? I remember reading it got nerfed, but then also seeing people still playing Demo with negative edge on ? So i'm just curious.

3) Outside of 50/50'ing them to death, what is Sonya's general gameplan? ( Or is that actually it? )

Cheers lads.

Vjeekes

DevilApes
Hey guys, so i'm considering picking up Demolition Sonya. But before i do, i just have a few questions and it would be great if i could get some help.

1) Im a player who generally likes playing ONE thing. If i can, i'd like to play one character, one variation. If a second one is necessary, then one character, and one of their other variations, MAX. Ideally, i'd like to cover all MU's with this. Im currently playing Piercing Mileena, who i dont think gets 6/4'd by anyone in the cast, but im getting bored. So, onwards to Demo Sonya. She looks super fun, so my interest is spiked. The question here is, is there a common opinion on Demo's bad MU's, and if yes, does Covert cover them ?

2) When playing Demolition, how essential is negative edge ? I remember reading it got nerfed, but then also seeing people still playing Demo with negative edge on ? So i'm just curious.

3) Outside of 50/50'ing them to death, what is Sonya's general gameplan? ( Or is that actually it? )

Cheers lads.
1) In my oppinion Sonya demo has a problem versus hard zoners. thats not a prob that covert ops can cover. (dunno about spec ops)
2) I play Sonya for 2 months now, and I never used negative edge. i'm gonna learn it for the swag but IMO its not essential
3) Alot of people think Sonya is a braindead 50/50 character. (only covert ops is imo) Somehow a part of her gameplan is based on 50/50's but first you need to get in, that where the real strenght of demolition comes in. SPACE CONTROL. Demo is based on space control thanks to her grenades.
This allows you to be deadly from everywhere on the screen. (a stungrenade can be converted into combo from full screen)

Dedlock

Noob
1) Sonya is weak against zoners in general, this applies to all her variations more so Covert Ops. Therefore if you're up against a hardcore zoner you're best best is switching back to Mileena.

2) From what I've read it is possible to play demo without negative edge, but to truly master the variation you'll need NE.

3) Only people who don't play Sonya believe she's all about 50/50.p

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains

Cheers lads.
1. Zoning is a struggle for her, but it can be doable. you can space control and pressure from afar with SG, FG, and BF2.

2. Not Essential at all!

3. Space control with her Grenades, F2, BF2 and IA dive kick. and when you get close its her awesome frames and range to Mix them up into Grenade combos and setups with Frags.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
I laugh whenever someone says "Sonya is all about braindead mixups" she has alot more to her than that.

1) Don't have any answer, i don't play covert ops.

2) Yes. It's best to have negative edge on with sonya and get used to it.

3) Sonya in my opinion, is all about spacing, footsies and mixups. You're deadly from anywhere on the screen, once you get them to the corner it's all about mixups and setups.

Mykal NS

Demolition Sonya Main / Downplayer
1) In my oppinion Sonya demo has a problem versus hard zoners. thats not a prob that covert ops can cover. (dunno about spec ops)
2) I play Sonya for 2 months now, and I never used negative edge. i'm gonna learn it for the swag but IMO its not essential
3) Alot of people think Sonya is a braindead 50/50 character. (only covert ops is imo) Somehow a part of her gameplan is based on 50/50's but first you need to get in, that where the real strenght of demolition comes in. SPACE CONTROL. Demo is based on space control thanks to her grenades.
This allows you to be deadly from everywhere on the screen. (a stungrenade can be converted into combo from full screen)
1. Zoning is a struggle for her, but it can be doable. you can space control and pressure from afar with SG, FG, and BF2.

2. Not Essential at all!

3. Space control with her Grenades, F2, BF2 and IA dive kick. and when you get close its her awesome frames and range to Mix them up into Grenade combos and setups with Frags.

Any demo that doesn't using NE, isn't playing demo correctly. It is 100% necessary for safe reloads in the corner. It is your entire oki game. You reload mid combo and go for armor break into more pressure. This isn't for swag, NE is literally playing demo optimally. You should check @Ayase Chihaya thread on explaining NE and her optimal damage. Then you can start working on the armor breaking setups and frame traps. But to those wondering, Negative Edge is 100% needed to master and play demo at high level. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Demo is all spacing midscreen. F2 is a godlike mid that is special cancellable. Great for footsies and f2b1 is -5 and trip guards most jump back attacks as well. Nades create space as well, and a grenades on block full screen guarantees a reload. Use divekick to get around slow projectiles but in a true zoning MU you have to be very patient. Use your nades for frame advantage to get in, Bc once you are in, no armor can save them and the match is all on your oki.

I laugh whenever someone says "Sonya is all about braindead mixups" she has alot more to her than that.

1) Don't have any answer, i don't play covert ops.

2) Yes. It's best to have negative edge on with sonya and get used to it.

3) Sonya in my opinion, is all about spacing, footsies and mixups. You're deadly from anywhere on the screen, once you get them to the corner it's all about mixups and setups.
So she's deadly from anywhere on screen but her grenades don't travel too far, are you talking about her blast then?!

Any demo that doesn't using NE, isn't playing demo correctly. It is 100% necessary for safe reloads in the corner. It is your entire oki game. You reload mid combo and go for armor break into more pressure. This isn't for swag, NE is literally playing demo optimally. You should check @Ayase Chihaya thread on explaining NE and her optimal damage. Then you can start working on the armor breaking setups and frame traps. But to those wondering, Negative Edge is 100% needed to master and play demo at high level. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Demo is all spacing midscreen. F2 is a godlike mid that is special cancellable. Great for footsies and f2b1 is -5 and trip guards most jump back attacks as well. Nades create space as well, and a grenades on block full screen guarantees a reload. Use divekick to get around slow projectiles but in a true zoning MU you have to be very patient. Use your nades for frame advantage to get in, Bc once you are in, no armor can save them and the match is all on your oki.
You say "grenades on block full screen guarantees a reload", but her grenades don't travel all the way across screen that I've seen, they're short ranged so can you explain? Sorry I'm a new Sonya player.

Arzumis

Noob
Can anyone explain to me what negative edge is....been hearing it but have no clue what it is
It is an option in controller settings called release check or negative edge It is used for beginners because it makes linking special moves from normals easier but for most players it isnt beneficial. For example if sonya inputs f2 bf her bf2 will come out without the need of inputing the 2 of her bf2. This makes it i believe impossible to do f2 bf4 because the bf2 will come out. Idk how thus would make demo sonya more useful tho

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Negative edge allows you to detonate a grenade (press 1) and reload (dd1) at the same time. Not only does this give her bigger combos in the corner, it allows you to get a reload when you are comboing your opponent and then end in the splat knockdown of 2134. From here, you can drop a grenade and go for armor breaking 50/50's, which is an amazing mixup tool.

Negative edge allows you to detonate a grenade (press 1) and reload (dd1) at the same time. Not only does this give her bigger combos in the corner, it allows you to get a reload when you are comboing your opponent and then end in the splat knockdown of 2134. From here, you can drop a grenade and go for armor breaking 50/50's, which is an amazing mixup tool.
So while doing 2134 you hold down the 1? Then press DD and release? Also what's a her best way to reload? Is it after a foot sweep?

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
It is an option in controller settings called release check or negative edge It is used for beginners because it makes linking special moves from normals easier but for most players it isnt beneficial. For example if sonya inputs f2 bf her bf2 will come out without the need of inputing the 2 of her bf2. This makes it i believe impossible to do f2 bf4 because the bf2 will come out. Idk how thus would make demo sonya more useful tho
ATP2014 summed it up. You can do safe reloads and also reloads during combos which allow you to do armor breaking 50/50 mixup setups e.g B14 xx DF1, 1, NJP, DF1, DF1B (Hold 1), 4 xx DD(Release 1), 12, 2134 = 31% drop grenade and do a sweep to armor break.

Last edited:

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
For example if sonya inputs f2 bf her bf2 will come out without the need of inputing the 2 of her bf2. This makes it i believe impossible to do f2 bf4 because the bf2 will come out. Idk how thus would make demo sonya more useful tho
A lot of people think this, but thats incorrect. Think of her more like a charge character now instead. do F2 and hold it, then BF4. you will get your leg grab every time. while not required, it makes it so that you will get it guaranteed every time (since you havent done the release check). all specials are the same way. B1,4 (hold 4)xxDB1 will let you get your frag grenade every time instead of the arc kick from the release check.

Once you get used to it, it lets you do some of the super swagged out shit she has.

Vjeekes

DevilApes

I don't agree with the fact that you need NE to play high level. Dunno if you watched scar vs sonicfox in the finals of KIT? He didn't use NE a single time

Mykal NS

Demolition Sonya Main / Downplayer
I don't agree with the fact that you need NE to play high level. Dunno if you watched scar vs sonicfox in the finals of KIT? He didn't use NE a single time
Was at KiT and he was using NE every single fight. He ALWAYS has release check on when playing demo. Whether he gets the corner or not. Just ask him. Sonya is played with NE on. All high level demos use it. Scar, Aquary, showtime, etc. Just go back and watch KiT top 8. Scar used the reload combos multiple times.

Also, he used NE the second game of grand finals versus sonic. I think you're confused on what NE does lol.

Last edited:
Ok so what's her best way to reload? I tried what was mentioned on one of the above posts but nothing happened, I turned negative edge on and still nothing happened. Can someone tell me when's the best time for her to reload? With negative edge? Without? In a combo? What combo? Thanks.

Ok just found out that probably her best reload is after f4 is this correct? Seems the safest and fastest way but I'm not sure how safe it is?