What's new

Ed Boon asks if they should add tournament skins to MK1 to fund future Pro Komps

Ed Boon just took to twitter to drop a plethora of hints, teasers, extra content, and more about 30+ years of Mortal Kombat and what could be coming to Mortal Kombat 1. The biggest one for me was the following.

Everyone please interact and respond to this post to let them know if you would like to see skins/shaders that would directly support a competitive tour. This could be HUGE in that we would have a self sustaining kompetitive ecosystem that could last well past the first two years of the game, and see prize pools as large if not the largest the FGC as ever seen backed by the casual size of the MK community. Let me know your thoughts below!

MKX had previously done this with the Crimson Ermac and Blue Steel skins. These were perceived to have done really well so I am super excited to see a potential return. MKX Pro League raised some serious prizes!

Last edited:

Comments

It has blown my mind how more games didn't watch Dota 2 PRINT fucking money every year by mostly selling cosmetics and putting a quarter of that towards a prize pool, and yet the FG devs especially seems to just be ignoring the option.

So yeah, for the love of god, yes.

Yes, but please have something INTERESTING. I'd hate for them to set everyone's hopes high and then you get a lazy ass ugly orange and green pallete for Li Mei like in the Mileena Invasion season. Make unique skins, not palletes, otherwise don't bother.
This is the most important factor imo.
The MKX tournament skins were reskins too, but they were reskins for a special collector's edition costume that you couldn't get anywhere else. Don't just try to sell me a Blue Evo themed default for Geras

Yes, but please have something INTERESTING. I'd hate for them to set everyone's hopes high and then you get a lazy ass ugly orange and green pallete for Li Mei like in the Mileena Invasion season. Make unique skins, not palletes, otherwise don't bother.
Took the words right outta my mouth. I'd rather overpay for a good skin going to a good cause, than spend any amount for a lazy shitty palette for a good cause.

Make the MK 4/Gold looks, the tournament pool skins; Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Raiden, Johnny, Quan Chi, Kung Lao, Kitana, Tanya, Reiko, Baraka, Mileena.

3 or 4 skins per season to support tournaments. You get a special color palette for each major tourney (Evo/Combo Breaker/etc...)

Maybe if they didnt design their skins in MS paint in 5 minutes...

Its funny modders doing it in their spare time make MUCH better skins lol

Something like this makes zero sense to me unless major steps are taken to firstly sort out to poor base skin unlocks and singleplayer content,and implementing fair systems of aquiring dragon crystals reasonably in respect to time.

The last thing from a consumer perspective i need now is funds that could be used to improve and finish the game go to the esports crowd,while the game stays in a poor state.
Sort the game out first and then you can look into ways to fund/grow your pro tour.

Idk the recent skins have been fire. Deception Shao and Sindel are crazy, DA Quan looks fantastic and MK95 Scorpion is gorgeous.
li mei has the choice between boring boring boring with a weird hat and weird biker

it would be SO easy to pump out much better costumes idk why they’re so meh

Agreed. I'd be down for this.

Make the skins unique and I'll purchase. Not interested in a billion palette swaps like most the Invasions rewards are.

Something like this makes zero sense to me unless major steps are taken to firstly sort out to poor base skin unlocks and singleplayer content,and implementing fair systems of aquiring dragon crystals reasonably in respect to time.

The last thing from a consumer perspective i need now is funds that could be used to improve and finish the game go to the esports crowd,while the game stays in a poor state.
Sort the game out first and then you can look into ways to fund/grow your pro tour.
This has gotta be the worst TYM take of 2024 so far

This has gotta be the worst TYM take of 2024 so far
I fully underatand this was going to be a very unpopular opinion around here,as the forum history is the competative lense,and people of the competative scene have a monetary interest from that practice.

But in the current state of the game and monetisation systems ,its just something i personally wouldnt not be supporting.

Under normal conditions i wouldnt not be opposed to it.

would be nice but i wonder if the playerbase is big enough that it would be worth it. steam numbers are low but with the year long issues with theire ports i think there are much more people on consoles.

With that added money, I would prefer a focus on adding more events to the pro tour and using those funds to maybe sponsor some events to be able to properly run MK and not have it off to the side with no stream until top 6 or w/e.

An increased prize pool is nice, but not even in the top 3 of big things they could do with the money.

Boon asks if we’d like them to do skins/shaders to increase the prize pool like they did for MKX…

This is engagement farming for something they’re more than likely already planning to implement so they can look like they listen to the community.

Whether they were already going to do it or not, It's a good idea to run with.

But they gotta be good skins like 3D Era or MK movie 95/2021 skins.
Maybe even do a brand new take on the Metallic Hooded Ninja Skins from MKX, We definitely have enough Male Ninjas to do them.

But don't put out simple boring recolors like the Halloween/Saint Patrick's Day Shaders and expect people to go nuts for them.

I fully underatand this was going to be a very unpopular opinion around here,as the forum history is the competative lense,and people of the competative scene have a monetary interest from that practice.

But in the current state of the game and monetisation systems ,its just something i personally wouldnt not be supporting.

They have plenty of money to put back into MK1 if they need/want to, that’s a non issue. And what they’re proposing isn’t going to cause them to have to forego anything else. All it is is them taking skins that they’d already be releasing, and putting a % of those sales towards the community for a potential future season 2 of the Pro Kompetition Series.

Now, you don’t have to participate in any tournaments, offline or otherwise, to be apart of the MK/NRS community or even the competitive community. But to actively vote against helping out the community just because it doesn’t specifically benefit YOU is an unbelievably selfish thing to even suggest let alone do and is the exact opposite of what the MK community represents.

I agree with you, not just skin unlocks but where's the creativity? Raiden has 2 skins exactly the same one just darker. They need a more creative designer, dragon crystals easier to obtain etc

If anyone thinks the skins and palette options are lacking in MK 1, you should play SF6. Don't get me wrong, some palettes are incredibly lame/low effort in MK, but the number of skins and colors we have to choose from for just doing ranked blows SF out of the water.