What's new

Can an Online player be an Offline player too?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
An interesting topic asked about in the SB by Dirtylova... for example of what the question revolved around...

Joe Blow is an online player 99% of the time and one day he goes to an offline tournament... is he then considered/categorized as an online/offline player or still an online player?

If you really think about it... this is an interesting topic.

What do you think and why?

Depends on the player...

In the past 5 years of getting to play people offline, i still havent lost a session, and the scores are even more lopsided then they are when i fight online. All of which were done on months rest, HDTVs etc.

Having to adjust to online play is my issue. It has gotten to the point where there is no adjusting, just waiting for the latency to be playable. There is no constant.

Playing Offline adjustments are made to settings; for instance, you arent in your lounge spot at home chilling playing. You're somewhere else, sitting on a chair, couch, farther away from the screen, to the side of it. Those are the adjustments you make as an Offline player.

Tournament wise would be adjusting to pressure. Shouldnt be an issue unless people are in your field of vision.

Online i would win just as much on months rest, but i would stay sharp by fighting the CPU offline. People ask me how i was able to win on months rest, and thats what i would tell them. That, and doing combos. Like i said, it depends on the player.

Booya

Banned
I will use MKD as an example here. I played MKD mainly online, when I started getting into the game I found a site caled Mortalkombatonline.com. This is where players talked about tier lists and really broke down the game offine and online. I consider myself an online player because that is where I played 99% of my matches, with the 1% being against my roomates at the time. Since the game was broken down 2 ways, offline and online I knew how move propertys and safeness of moves changed from offine to online. Beings I played with moves that were easier or more broken online did not mean I couldn't show up to an offline tourney and still kick ass, Even though I never went to one.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I will use MKD as an example here. I played MKD mainly online, when I started getting into the game I found a site caled Mortalkombatonline.com. This is where players talked about tier lists and really broke down the game offine and online. I consider myself an online player because that is where I played 99% of my matches, with the 1% being against my roomates at the time. Since the game was broken down 2 ways, offline and online I knew how move propertys and safeness of moves changed from offine to online. Beings I played with moves that were easier or more broken online did not mean I couldn't show up to an offline tourney and still kick ass, Even though I never went to one.
This is exactly the problem. The entire Online and Offline player discussion is always taken out of context.

A good overall player understands how the game is played in both fields, offline and online. Nobody is saying that online players do not have the potential to grow, or be good offline, but we are saying that in order to truly show skill in that regard, is to actually play the game offline in a competitive scene. The argument that stems from this, is "Online Joe: I am better than you offline. Offline Joe: Then show me. Online Joe: I cant, but im letting you know that I am."

This does not work, and in any case, I have just as much a right to tell you that you are not good, if you're only basis to make me believe that you are better offline, are words. This is where the term, "Put up, or Shut up" comes in. I'm very sorry that some of you cant make it to a tournament, and by no means am I saying that you arent good, or cant do good in a tournament, but not being able to attend an event does not give you any levarage over the scenerio.

REO is the perfect example of a guy who learned the mechanics the right way, showed up to casuals, practiced, and got 2nd place on his first tournament. Check is another example of a guy who clearly used offline gameplay to break the game down, and find the best combos to use. I can go on, but there are plenty of players out there who understand this game on another level, and its not just by playing online on your couch eating potato chips.

MRIGOTBASS

Only if you use Kabal, you will have minimal learning curve. I don't care if you like my opinion. Stop crying, man up, and get over it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Sure you can be both. These labels aren't too important though. It's more of who you play.

Take UMK3 for example. Sure, I got my practice and experience through online play, but this doesn't matter. It's a matter of who I've played and trained with. I've played thousands of different players, all with either different or similar playing styles. So almost nothing can surprise me and I've seen everything you can do really. When we compare this to the offline players, some haven't seen everything or every tactic there is. This can be shown when we look at Summer Jam, no one knew how to handle IGB's tactic outside of a couple of players. This tactic is used frequently online, so a lot of online players would know how to react to it.

This is all about who you play against. Almost none of the offline players at SJ knew what was going on. And I think Joe had never seen that in his life, judging by what I heard. This is not to say "oh, online is better because of this", not at all. Just that it doesn't matter if it's online or offline, it matters who you're playing.

I played UMK3 for a whole year and was barely average. I played randoms all day and some friends who were equally as bad as me. It wasn't until I started playing better players did I see some improvement.

This may not answer your question, I just think it matters very little if you're an online player or an offline player. You don't learn that much from this information. There could be an "online player" in Japan who plays Daigo everyday online. Never gone to a tournament in his life. After this training with Daigo, I would bet anything he would do very well at a tournament. At least if he played mostly Ryu's, :)

Noob
The idea that "online" players are somehow not good or not talented is completely absurd. I agree with Zaq, in that the term is merely defined moreso by the tactics a person uses rather than the medium they choose to play on... but even that line is being blurred further by the recent wins and high placement of "online" players in tournaments... kudos to them. This has been a long standing misconception that alot of "online" players have been making about us "offline" players... They have always thought that we were saying they were bad, unskilled, talentless players...and that was NEVER...NEVER the case(maybe a few times in some trash talking situations...and even then, everyone gets accused of calling each other talentless)...we have always acknowledged that online players can be, are, and will be skilled and talented as well as competent competitors. The difference was always simply "play me online" vs. "come to a tournament". It was always put up or shut up in each other's "medium"... but at this point we all agree.. tournaments are the ONLY place where it counts... so in light of that, the only way to "matter" is to be an offline player...if only even for one day.