What's new

Beginners Kung Lao help

Dedamn666

Big Poppa Pump
Hi all. Just started playing MK9 again this week and i'm deciding to add Kung Lao as my main after Sub Zero . I'm not trying to be an idle bastard but while looking through the wealth of info on him I've got a bit overwhelmed and wondered the following:

1) What are his best bnbs to learn for a beginner
2)Most common and effective tech and strategy
3) Best strings
4) Best Specials.

Obviously I would find some out with practice but I am a bit stuck as where to start. Any help would be much appreciated!

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
BNBs:
Starter~Spin, jk~DK, DK, 24 1+2 2
Starter~Spin, jk~DK, 2~EXStraightHat, DK, 24 1+2 2
Alt: Starter~Spin, jk~DK, 1, 1, 24 1+2 2

Corner: Starter~Spin, jk~DK, jk~Tele3, 1121, 24 1+2 2
Starter~Spin, jk~DK, jk~Tele3, 3~EXStraightHat, jk~Tele3, 24 1+2 2 (i think)

Effective strategy: Pressure at high speed.
-DKing over the opponents head and after knockdowns to remain obscure in position.
-On Oki, you may use Low Hat or f2, both will otg.
-You may get in with f3/f3~Spin, iaDK, or simply dashing.

Best Strings:
-2, 21
-21212~Low Hat
-24, 24 1+2, 24~Low Hat
-1, 11, 112, 1121

Best Specials:
-Spin (6f AA, combo starter, is the mindgame of f3)
-Low Hat (primary projectile, low, EX version allows for setups but is *usually* useless)
-Teleport (Tele3 = combo starter, EX version has armor, EXTele-delayed-1 has extended armor, may be avoided, EX version is VERY useful in the corner. Abuse it.)

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Depending on your execution level, idk if you want to incorporate the double dive-kick combo as a bnb just yet. For beginners i'd suggest beginning combos with 112 as it's easier to hit confirm, once you feel you're ready try comboing off of 21.

For combos i'd begin with:
112 spin, jk dk (jump kick dive kick), 1, 2 4 1+3

112 spin, jk dk, f3 (roll), spin

If that combo is a little too hard go for:
112 spin, njp (neutral jump punch) 1, 1, 2 4 1+3

Kung Lao's neutral game is very solid seeing as he has a mix-up with good range off of a 7 frame jab. Keep spacing and check your opponent with 2 4 1+2 or 2 4 low hat.

Lao's best special is his spin, it's 6 frames and launches for a combo. His poke game as below average as his d1/d3 are 1-2 frames slower than others', try to make your opponents respect your option to spin them so they fear poking you (be careful).

The first hit of all of Lao's best strings whiff on neutral crouching or poking opponents. Once you make your opponent respects your spin option enough to fear neutral crouching and poking you can mix up pressure with 1/11/112/1121/2 and 2 1. Lao's gimmicky/mix-up strings 2 4 (as stated above) and 21212. Both strings can be canceled into a low enders with the low hat special or an overhead with 1+2 ender. Each one of Lao's strings can be cancelled into Low hat, spin or teleport.

Lao's Teleport and Divekick make him the most mobile character in the game. At a high level, Lao's use naked dive kicks from 3/4th's - full screen to land right in front of their opponent. Teleport puts you directly behind your opponent and can be cancelled by hitting 1, 2, 3 or 4. Teleport into 3 is a quick 9% damage kick, teleport 2 launches your opponent for a 30%+ combo, tele 1 grabs a blocking opponent and tele 4 is a heavy kick. Lao can also teleport without cancelling it into either of the options.

There's a LOT of information i'm leaving out, but these are the basics.

Dedamn666

Big Poppa Pump
Thanks. When i do the jump kick into dive kick it seems to knock them really far away to follow up. Sure i'm messing something up with timing. Will hit the lab tomorrow after work. Had a few games tonight and really enjoying it again.

Obs_SmSwag

Thanks. When i do the jump kick into dive kick it seems to knock them really far away to follow up. Sure i'm messing something up with timing. Will hit the lab tomorrow after work. Had a few games tonight and really enjoying it again.

Are you trying for the double dive-kick combo? The timing isn't that strict, but the second dive kick has to be an "Instant air dive kick" (iadk). You'll get the hang of it, it's definitely a timing thing. It's nice to see people still enjoying the game, it can be a blast and Kung Lao is one of the most fun characters to play i.m.o.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Another key tip: unless it is to counter-zone, it is NOT recommended to get in using the Teleport.

Jumping in could get you AAd.
Empty jumping~Tele3 will blow up the opponents AA.

Its all on a read, and if they react late to your Tele3 you will be unpunished for how quick it is.

Dedamn666

Big Poppa Pump
Are you trying for the double dive-kick combo? The timing isn't that strict, but the second dive kick has to be an "Instant air dive kick" (iadk). You'll get the hang of it, it's definitely a timing thing. It's nice to see people still enjoying the game, it can be a blast and Kung Lao is one of the most fun characters to play i.m.o.
Yeah thats right, will try it with just the one for now. I take it the 1, 2 4 1+3 is done instantly? No dashing involved and the 1 has the range to connect right?
Used to play him when it first came out but never learned anything with him and ended up maining Sub Zero. Stopped playing alot last year sometime apart from the odd game with friends. Injustice does nothing for me so I decided to pick this up again and wanted a new main. No scene in West Yorkshire that im aware of so having to play online with the 20 or so people who still play in the entire EU.

Obs_SmSwag

Yeah thats right, will try it with just the one for now. I take it the 1, 2 4 1+3 is done instantly? No dashing involved and the 1 has the range to connect right?

I want to say the 1, 2 4 1+3 isn't that strict. Make sure you're mini-dashing after the jump kick dive-kick. Also, this game has a weird ghost hitbox thing where it looks like the punch will whiff but it actually hits. You'll get it for sure, you just have to toy around with it.

nX_EdGe

We are many... you are but one.
Could someone explain to me the input break down for the BnBs?
Code:
Starter~Spin, jk~DK, DK, 24 1+2 2
Starter~Spin, jk~DK, 2~EXStraightHat, DK, 24 1+2 2
Alt: Starter~Spin, jk~DK, 1, 1, 24 1+2 2
I am wondering if you are using the negative edge for the dive kick and just hitting down? Also when are you inputting the dash commands? I am having trouble connecting the 1, or the 2 after the JK,DK.. They are always to far away..

any tips for the execution of this?