What's new

Guide All-Star Superman Guide

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
DeathAndHealing I don't have proper recording equipment, but I had to clear my name. Before you ask, yes I have the patched version. If you compare our two videos, you'll notice I cancel D1 to [MB] Breath much faster than Chef. Maybe the misconception is that I'm doing a later cancel, or perhaps even linking it? Neither is true, I'm just doing it fast.

EGP Wonder_Chef, the reason you're able to interrupt with an 8 frame move is probably because of the aforementioned speed issue. The gap would be smaller if you did it quicker, no? I hope this shitty 8 second video I made helps my case.

there aren't multiple times within a normal that you can cancel it

something is wrong with your copy, you might not be patched, because literally seven or eight people that I'm asking are saying it doesn't work for them

Raynex

Intelligence + Speed + Power
I'm not sure what to tell you other than practice it. It's not tech or anything, I just did it one day with the same timing used for D1 xx scoop to punish -6 or -7 moves.

I just don't want others to read, for example, Wonderchef's post that says there is "NO WAY it works". I've just shown you proof it does, with noticeable differences in the speed of the cancel going from D1 to Breath. It's one of his best close range anti-pressure / punish tools, and leads to his highest damage off D1.

D1 xx [MB] Breath, B3~Trait, J2, F23, F2~scoop, 3 xx rising grab / F2D13 or B23 (oki setups)

Raynex I just unpatched my game and it works literally every time. Are you sure youre not missing the patch from like 5 days ago? Maybe this is a hidden nerf because like I said, I was sure it worked when you originally brought it up, but now it isnt.

Raynex

I got the initial patch for sure. With this one you're saying was released 5 days ago...that would make it a total of 2 patches? I'm sorry, I'm not sure what's going on. My BnB damage and everything else is proper post-patch, but this one little inconsistency doesn't make any sense.

edit: my friend just told me there was tiny 7mb patch for online play specifically. I play pretty much offline only with my city's scene, so I probably missed it. Sorry for the confusion everyone. It did work at one point though, two things: I was kinda right, and...why did they nerf that? It severely weakens his punish game.

Yeah there was a patch a few days ago I made a thread about it because it literally broke the game for a lot of people, including myself. After a system cache clear it was fine.

Joshkazkab

I am the Protector of Russia's Skies!
I think only xbox got said patch? I never got a notification when I started up the game on my ps3. Either way I still cant get D1 xx MB breath to work.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Remember, NRS has a system where they can instantly hotfix move properties, so it didn't need to be in an actual patch for them to have nerfed it.

I'm glad I'm not an idiot. I really was killing myself over how to combo those two.

Raynex

Remember, NRS has a system where they can instantly hotfix move properties, so it didn't need to be in an actual patch for them to have nerfed it.

I'm glad I'm not an idiot. I really was killing myself over how to combo those two.
Yeah that makes sense. My apologies man. You can take down the video haha

Beck__

Old English Fighter
I thought I was going crazy for a minute there. I don't believe I have had an actual patch since day1, so must be a sneaky hotfix. I'm a UK PS3 guy.

Yo guys sorry for another noob question but what are Supermans hit confirms? I was watching Toryuken 2 and saw a Superman do 223 into super breath on block just wondering if this is one of his hit confirms and what others are there? Thank you

Ps. What is fuzzy guarding and how is it done, since it seems to affect Supermans 50/50s

223/22~df1, f23 and 111 are his hitconfirms, thats what i use at least, maybe there is something else. fuzzy guarding is holding the downblock and then changing it to standblock, so you can block both options of his pseudo high/low mixup. online it may not work every time, because lag is involved, and you are required to change block in a few frames (for 223/22~df1 its 4 frames if im not mistaken)

S1L3nt

Noob
Yea u can d1 super breath but not d1 mb super breath. I don't no why I never used it before. D1 scoop is awsome lol its really handy

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Loving Superman so far and this guide. The only trouble I'm having with him is his corner combo's. Those 3, trait, 3 combo's are hard to time.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
finally nailed one of his f23~trait combos..I couldnt get MB super breath to come out for that specific combo. Must have been an input error...so if Supers is so easily fuzzied, what's the go-to option here, F23+breath, backdash for whiff punish? or 11, f23 that kind of thing? that overhead in 223 is slow and easy to see coming, its like sinestro's boulder animation.

Raynex

finally nailed one of his f23~trait combos..I couldnt get MB super breath to come out for that specific combo. Must have been an input error...so if Supers is so easily fuzzied, what's the go-to option here, F23+breath, backdash for whiff punish? or 11, f23 that kind of thing? that overhead in 223 is slow and easy to see coming, its like sinestro's boulder animation.
- Grab more
- Bully with F23 strings then F2D1 if you think they'll stand block, you get a combo off it
- Learn your match-ups and get solid punishes for unsafe strategies they use, you'll get many free hits this way
- Learn to identify when you're at frame advantage (e.g. after landing a D1, or blocking an opponent's string) and land hits that way
- Frame traps
- faking with B3 / F3 dash cancels into grabs
- j.D3s and walk back B1 or F23 to beat grab break attempts in corner once opponent is conditioned to expect them
- set up frame advantageous situations with blocked B3s or more F3 attempts so that you may apply a safer mix-up
- Work on your hard knockdown enders, setups, and damaging follows. (I'll make a guide for this soon)
- Empty airdashes into throw or armored B3 / F3 to beat throw break.

Get creative!

Raynex

You're organizational skills are immaculate! I've got some constructive feedback though:

- You should make a note that all dashes after [MB] Breath combos are optional. You can always hit the B3 without dashing.
- For combo lists for 111~scoop, B1~scoop, or 22~scoop, you should amalgamate them all into one "scoop combo list". So you don't have to write the same combo 10 times when they all have the same common starter in DF+1. So something like this might be easier:

Scoop (DF+1) Combos:
(Starters: 111_22_B1_D1)

- F2~[MB] Breath, B3, j3, F2~RGHV

and so on and so forth.

- For all the combos that START with F2D1, you can confirm the hit much easier by adding another F2~scoop or [MB] Breath. F2D1 functions exactly the same as F23 starter midscreen for meter combos. F2D1, F2~scoop, 3~ender / F2D1, F2~[MB] Breath, etc

- The trait version of combos are so similar that it doesn't warrant having a second line for them, it adds to the clutter. I think it would look cleaner if it you did something like this:

(RGHV = Rising Grab~Heat Vision)
-> F23 [optional Trait] F2~[MB] Breath, B3, j3, F2~scoop, 3~RGHV (38% / 47%)

I added f2 to the f2d1 meter combo, that was a mistake thanks for catching it. I can add a red coloring to all trait combos, not all of them are alike and some are actually pretty useless, lol.

I see what you're saying about the Scoop combos but I think regarding new players who may come in months or a year from now they might scratch their head at that. Ive already had people messaging me about how to understand combos.

As for dashes, I didnt list them, do you think I should go back and add or just make a note about it?

S1L3nt

Noob
If I get blocked on a f23 I like to jump backwards and use d3. Usally they try counter after they block and u can Usally jump away in time.Sometimes they try jjump over u after they blocked it so u just hit them in the air with a 2 or 3 then combo. Another one is after they block it jump back then air dash forward. You will land behind them while they r trying to counter u giving u a free f23

Raynex

Make a note that all dashes before [MB] Breath are optional.
Also I think you should take out useless combos that do less than optimized ones. Part of learning a fighting game is dealing with execution and getting down the real combos; people have to work for that damage! If it's hard or not, the best Superman can do from that starter should be listed so as to maximize the benefit of that time and energy spent practicing. If you practice the optimized shit and stay focused, you will inevitably learn them and improve. They might settle for the useless listed ones because they're easier or something. Also it would clean out a lot more clutter, like what you did with the corner combos.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I don't think you should take them out but put all optimal ones in their own area then "all F23 combos, all F2D1 combos, etc" in an area below them.

Raynex

Yeah, or have a mini section underneath the optimized aka best combos, that says "other combos", "alternative combos" or something.